Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 07:50:48 pm

Author Topic: Amount of hours for Band 6's in Year 12?  (Read 10324 times)  Share 

Harjas

Amount of hours for Band 6's in Year 12?
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:32:21 pm »
Greetings,

Approximately how many hours should we study DAILY in Year 12 for EACH subject for a Band 6 (averagely)?

Thank you,
Harjas
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:40:28 pm by Harjas »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Amount of hours for Band 6's in Year 12?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:42:55 pm »
+1
Greetings,

Approximately how many hours should we study DAILY in Year 12 for EACH subject for a Band 6?

Thank you,
Harjas

Hey Harjas! There is no easy answer to this question, for two reasons:

1- Every person is different and learns at different speeds
2- Every subject is different and requires a different workload, even based on electives.

So my advice should be taken with a grain of salt, and with your own thoughts on your academic skills and subject selection.

Simple Answer : 25 Hours A Week, so 3.5 hours daily.
Complex Answer : To get a Band 6, you need to know your content inside and out. But that's not even all. You need to have had practice applying this content in exam-like situations. Add to this assignments and in-class tests, and you have quite a bit of work to do. I like the rule they give you at University: For every hour of class time, be prepared to spend an hour of time at home. So, if you have three Legal classes a week, you should be studying something similar to 3 hours a week for Legal.

These figures vary wildly based on you, as a student. Do you smash Math? Then take a few hours off there. Struggle with English? Take those hours from Math and put them into English. Should you study more before Exams? Absolutely. Should you work less immediately after Half Yearly Exams and Trials? Maybe, maybe not, but that is likely what will happen. It is so hard to give a concrete rule since everyone has differing circumstances.

You need however many hours are necessary to give you a solid content knowledge, do all your assignments, then practice applying your knowledge in exam scenarios. In my experience, about 4 hours per 2 unit subject is enough to get this done. An hour or two doing homework, an hour summarising and writing study notes, and an hour doing extra questions. This means about 24 hours a week.

You could absolutely get a Band 6 doing more or less than this, but this would be my VERY GENERAL advice based on subjects of average to high difficulty, a reasonably intelligent student, and average circumstances. Everyone is different, so use this post only as a guide. How much you study should be based on your own abilities: Study as much or as little as you need to so that you understand what you are learning about, and only you know when you've reached that point  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:48:10 pm »
I'll add that my reply above is overall, not per subject, so divide all my figures by 5 or 6  ;D

Harjas

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:52:11 pm »
Haha, that makes more sense. Thanks a lot for that reply Jamon!

Harjas

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 03:48:49 am »
+1
I do 1 hour a day lololol

Greetings,

Approximately how many hours should we study DAILY in Year 12 for EACH subject for a Band 6 (averagely)?

Thank you,
Harjas

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:31:33 pm »
the amount of studies I do depends on how bothered I am on that day

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:35:05 pm »
the amount of studies I do depends on how bothered I am on that day

Sometimes when you're not bothered, I think it's a good idea to somehow make yourself bothered. I think this can be started by writing an english essay, as this motivates you to write throughout, but yeah I don't know. Whatever motivates you to study, get yourself motivating  8)

hassannaveed

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:18:07 pm »
+2
Hey,
The amount of study required for a band 6 really depends on the subject itself, and your ability in the subject. For e.g. if you are naturally talented at English, you may not need to study a lot per day to achieve a band 6. Typically, on a weekday approximately 3 hours a day is a solid amount of study that will allow you to have some band 6's. On weekends, you should be aiming for 5+ hours of study. Further, it is very difficult to study every subject everyday, purely because if you try to study every subject everyday, you will not go in much depth, which is required for getting band 6's.
Personally, I achieved a band 6 in all my subjects. I studied around 4 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends. On each weekday, I would work on only 2 subjects, so around 2 hours for each subject.
Hassan Naveed

ATAR- 99.35
Maths Tutor- Maths Extension 1 (98), Maths Extension 2 (94), English Advanced (91), Business Studies (94), Legal Studies (95)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC- http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE- http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »
i do motivate myself to study, but half of the time im "studying" im not, im actually procrastinating 

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 08:26:17 pm »
i do motivate myself to study, but half of the time im "studying" im not, im actually procrastinating

Ok, either try to refrain from procrastinating or do 'productive procrastination'