Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 10:58:15 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210217 times)  Share 

kaylat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #540 on: February 07, 2018, 09:45:26 pm »
my turn now...
I need help with techniques linking to this image and Robert Frost poetry....
http://lgimages.s3.amazonaws.com/data/imagemanager/50115/the_histrionoic_wayfarer_by_tim_storrier.jpg

For your visual text?? Its quite a hard pic to connect with one of Frost's poems
This is just a suggestion but you could link it to "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening"??
Or you could contrast it with "Mending Wall"?
Depends on what your thesis is...

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #541 on: February 07, 2018, 09:48:43 pm »
For your visual text?? Its quite a hard pic to connect with one of Frost's poems
This is just a suggestion but you could link it to "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening"??
Or you could contrast it with "Mending Wall"?
Depends on what your thesis is...
help...  :'( :'( :'( any other ideas than????
my thesis is The ramifications of discoveries differ for individuals and their worlds.
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #542 on: February 07, 2018, 09:59:20 pm »
help...  :'( :'( :'( any other ideas than????
my thesis is The ramifications of discoveries differ for individuals and their worlds.
Hey!
You could definitely consider Moonrise Kingdom by Wes Anderson. It follows two people who are disconnected from their environment (world), who then find each other's company very fitting. It's a great discovery text, and there are many layers of discoveries littered throughout.

I would also suggest "Death of a Young Son by Drowning" by M. Atwood, but I believe you wouldn't want a poem as your related ;)

kaylat

• Adventurer
« Reply #543 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:23 pm »
+2
To headsup with your discovery folio...(comments in bold)

Discoveries can be sudden and unexpected, with their provocative nature leading to a profound renewing of our perceptions of the world. The confronting and unexpected nature of discoveries is is explored in Markus Zusak’s ‘The book thief’. Similarly linked to Robert Frost poetry ‘Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening'. Thesis?? Topic sentence here?? Overall theme of what u are trying to say?

‘The book thief’ is set in Nazi Germany during World War Two and depicts the life of a young German girl Liesel Meminger and her foster parents as they struggle with everyday challenges of life in war stricken Germany. The struggles are seen in the line ‘did he bend down and embrace his foster daughter, as he wanted to? … not exactly… he slapped Liesel Meminger’ which employs binary opposites of the ‘embrace’ and ‘slapped’ showing how a discovery of the true meaning of an aspect of our lives can lead to a vivid contrast in our perceptions of the world. Similarly, Hans (the Father)discovers his true feelings about his foster daughter, Liesel, as she discoveries the truth about herself and her family. The line ‘ ‘Did the Führer take her way?’ The question surprised them both’ uses an allegory to show how, as the girl travels on this introspective path of selfdiscovery, the truth she reveals is shocking to the audience and to Liesel as she struggles to realise the reality of her world.
 The extended metaphor of the surprise represents the provocative nature of human discover. These unexpected discoveries ultimately lead to a renewed perceptions of our world. The unexpected nature of discoveries is further explored in the book with the line ‘it would be easy to say that he was just a tall man sitting poor-postured and shattered on some church steps’ symbolising to us the devastation war can cause and how the provocative nature of a discovery can lead to an emotional and spiritual insight into those around us and our world. Throughout ‘The book thief’ Zusak portrays to us as the audience how the confronting nature of living in a war stricken country can lead to discoveries and renewed perceptions of our world.
Similarly Frost explores the provocative nature of unexpected discoveries, however contrastingly to Zusak we see how the persona rejects this impetus opposed to discovering something new. The allure of discovery is explored in ‘the only other sound’s the sweep of easy wind and downy flake’ where long vowel sounds slow the pace of the poem to explore the allure. The conjunction of ‘but’ in the following sentence reveals the rejection of the impetus to discovery and moves swiftly to a new idea halting the personas contemplation. This contrasts to ‘the book thief’ where Liesel accepts the discovery leading to renewed perceptions of her world while Frost’s persona rejects this discovery ultimately rejecting (??) renewed perceptions on there world. this line doesn't make sense. As the audience, we experience the different possibilities of discovery how the acceptance of a discovery regardless of it’s sudden, unexpected and provocative nature will lead to renewed perceptions of our world.

- good response!
- try not to repeat yourself so much, you say the lines "provocative nature" and the word "discovery" a lot...try and cut down on this
- The 'flow' of the response could be polished but overall it is good
ATB!

kaylat

• Adventurer
« Reply #544 on: February 07, 2018, 10:18:22 pm »
+1
Hey,
I am doing a book called 'Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope" for my english folio related text.
Basically a bunch of uni kids are involved in an accident. 5 are killed. 1 is seriously hurt (V unstable). The parents and siblings of the survivor sit with her day and night for 5 weeks only to find as she was recovering that she was not the person they thought she was. She was the daughter of a couple who 5 weeks before had buried who they thought was there daughter.... however, it was not so. the true identity of the survivor comes to light and the rolls of mourning and hoping are reversed....
I am needing help with the type of discovery present in the story....
Thanks in advance

PS. sorry about the waffle.... pretty bad for my first post  :( :o

hey!! I've read that book.... it is pretty amazing!!!
Would definitely have self discovery, spiritual, emotional and social discoveries as well. Could also talk about the introspective discovery of the survivor...
atb with ur folio!  8) 8)

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #545 on: February 07, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »
Hey!
You could definitely consider Moonrise Kingdom by Wes Anderson. It follows two people who are disconnected from their environment (world), who then find each other's company very fitting. It's a great discovery text, and there are many layers of discoveries littered throughout.

I would also suggest "Death of a Young Son by Drowning" by M. Atwood, but I believe you wouldn't want a poem as your related ;)
Thanks Opengangs..... however i need a image  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #546 on: February 07, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »
hey!! I've read that book.... it is pretty amazing!!!
Would definitely have self discovery, spiritual, emotional and social discoveries as well. Could also talk about the introspective discovery of the survivor...
atb with ur folio!  8) 8)
hey kaylat!!
that is so cool....
firstly thanks for the response + going over the essay...

below is my first draft of my response to 'mistaken identity'... what do u reckon??
Spoiler
‘Mistaken Identity’ by Don Van Ryn is a touching biography, which entices the reader through its display of the complexity of renewed perspectives and new experiences. Four university students are killed in a car crash. One survives (Laura Van Ryn) and is in ISU. Her family sit by her bedside for five weeks until they discover that it is not Laura but Whitney Cerak. This discovery hugely impacts both families. This book is a rollercoaster of emotions filled with emotional and spiritual discoveries.
Van Ryn employs epiphany to expose the reality of the survivor’s identity. The line ‘I’m very, very sorry. Laura’s dental records did not match. It isn’t her.’ reveals to the audience the true identity of the survivor, the brutal way in which this realisation comes about. Prior to this point, we as an audience have become greatly attached to the survivor. The epiphany disrupts this attachment and in an unexpected way brings grief into our own lives. We feel the pain and suffering that this physical discovery causes, while our perspectives on the case renewed and challenged by this sudden change.
In a similar way, Frost’s, ‘Fire and Ice’ demands the audience into a renewed perspective. Through the unexpected nature of the discovery ‘if it had to perish twice’ where the persona comes to the realisation that the world will not always remain and that it’s destruction must occur twice. As with Van Ryn, Frost uses epiphany to force upon us the discovery and challenge to our preconceived ideas.
The use of flashbacks in ‘Mistaken Identity’ shows the renewed perspectives as the Van Ryn family adjusts to a life without their family member which in such a brutal way is taken from them. ‘Probably the only mean thing she ever did in her life. That girl didn’t have a mean bone in her body. She was always so cheerful, so happy.’ Shows how the family is experiencing flashbacks and with the renewed perspective formed through the unexpected discovery of the death of their love one, they are able to analyse the life that Laura had lived in a new light.
Similarly, we can see this in ‘Fire and Ice’ where the persona states ‘From what I’ve tasted of desire’ where he reflects on his own life through the light of the ‘fire and ice’ allowing through a renewed perspective.
Discoveries are inevitable, as a result of experiences that shape our lives. Van Ryn reveals this throughout the book. The experience both families experience is tremendous. We are able to follow their discoveries through the multimodal text. Blog posts are included throughout the biography which allows a personal insight into the experiences. Van Ryn also employs a dual narrator where both families’ experiences are explored allowing for a more sophisticated insight into the discovery process.
In a contrasting way, Frost, uses one persona and medium throughout, where the persona is engaged in contemplation of the destruction of the world, resulting in a fresh understanding and perspective. This discovery demonstrates that through thought discoveries and renewing of perspectives occurs, contrastingly to Van Ryn which involves a physical event to bring about the discovery.
Through studying of ‘Mistaken Identity’ my understanding of discovery has been greatly strengthened, as it depicts a physical event as the catalyst for the discovery over against the preconceived idea as depicted by Frost that discoveries come as a result of contemplation and thought. The text has reinforced the inevitability of discovery and how through our acceptance of this discovery we can gain renewed perceptions of the world around us.
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #547 on: February 07, 2018, 10:30:43 pm »
To headsup with your discovery folio...(comments in bold)
What is a folio? Is it a folio of essays? Because what you're marking doesn't look like an essay?

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #548 on: February 07, 2018, 10:34:43 pm »
What is a folio? Is it a folio of essays? Because what you're marking doesn't look like an essay?
a folio is a compilation of related texts... what was marked in the analysis of the text and how this relates to the AOS - discovery, with Robert Frost as core texts.
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #549 on: February 07, 2018, 10:35:17 pm »
+2
Thanks Opengangs..... however i need a image  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Hey, hey!
No worries. You could definitely do 'The Histrionic Wayfarer' - I think that's a great image for discovery. In terms of differing for the individual and the world, you could definitely discuss the missing face as seeking for identity for the individual, while the vector of material items could be interpreted as the search for new places and experiences. There are many hidden layers of discovery that you could definitely convey ;D

Other images you could consider include:
Guernica - Picasso
Nobody Understands - Shaun Tan
Self-Help - Michael Leunig

Hopefully, these encourage you to keep seeking ;D

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #550 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:36 pm »
Hey, hey!
No worries. You could definitely do 'The Histrionic Wayfarer' - I think that's a great image for discovery. In terms of differing for the individual and the world, you could definitely discuss the missing face as seeking for identity for the individual, while the vector of material items could be interpreted as the search for new places and experiences. There are many hidden layers of discovery that you could definitely convey ;D
Thanks.!
I think I will stick with it...
for the missing face i am saying this is omission - portraying a sense of self-discovery???

PS. All comments on page 37 relate to me!!!!!!
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #551 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:57 pm »
Thanks.!
I think I will stick with it...
for the missing face i am saying this is omission - portraying a sense of self-discovery???

PS. All comments on page 37 relate to me!!!!!!
Hey!
I think self-discovery works very well - a sense of finding one's self is definitely a prominent idea within the artwork. I look forward to your analysis :)
If you would like a paragraph or essay marked, please post them here!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #552 on: February 07, 2018, 10:48:05 pm »
If you would like a paragraph or essay marked, please post them here!
You mean not in this forum????
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

kaylat

• Adventurer
« Reply #553 on: February 07, 2018, 10:53:03 pm »
You mean not in this forum????

hey headsup... I will send you my thought on your 'mistaken identity' response on the hsc marking and feedback forum  ;)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #554 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:58 am »
Ahh thanks heaps kayla!!!!! cool finding other ppl on here u know aye...