Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2024, 02:23:27 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210670 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2016, 02:44:56 pm »
Do advanced students get scaled better than advanced?

Don't worry about scaling; If you do better in Standard than Advanced, your marks will reflect that, despite scaling issues.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

dylan862

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Lisarow High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2016, 02:52:55 pm »
Whoops I was meant to ask if advanced scales better than standard haha. And ok thanks heaps. My cohort has some people who do really good then plenty who don't do as well so I was just curious.

sarah.murphy

• Adventurer
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2016, 03:14:56 pm »
Analysing Tom Brennan Quotes, can someone help me out with what techniques are in this quote and what ideas i can talk about in my essay
THANKS

"I lay on my bed waiting in my 'new' room. I named it 'the cave' cause it was so brown and dark"
Page 13

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2016, 03:18:23 pm »
Analysing Tom Brennan Quotes, can someone help me out with what techniques are in this quote and what ideas i can talk about in my essay
THANKS

"I lay on my bed waiting in my 'new' room. I named it 'the cave' cause it was so brown and dark"
Page 13

Hey! Potentially, you can go into 'the cave' a bit more than the description given in the text. It may be brown and dark, but there are also connotations of being reclusive, loneliness, isolation etc. If that lends itself towards your thesis, you could analyse it in that sense!

sarah.murphy

• Adventurer
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2016, 03:20:08 pm »
Hey! Potentially, you can go into 'the cave' a bit more than the description given in the text. It may be brown and dark, but there are also connotations of being reclusive, loneliness, isolation etc. If that lends itself towards your thesis, you could analyse it in that sense!
Ok Thanks
Quick Question...
How many quotes do you think are necessary for a good analysis and strong argument for Module C, The Story of Tom Brennan?

Moderator Edit: Posts merged :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:51:31 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »
+1
Quick Question...
How many quotes do you think are necessary for a good analysis and strong argument for Module C, The Story of Tom Brennan?

I would generally recommend 8-15 quotes per essay, depending on the depth of analysis you're looking for. Make sure to have some extra quotes on the back burner in case the ones you learn don't quite match the essay question. People have very differing opinions on this though!

sarah.murphy

• Adventurer
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »
I would generally recommend 8-15 quotes per essay, depending on the depth of analysis you're looking for. Make sure to have some extra quotes on the back burner in case the ones you learn don't quite match the essay question. People have very differing opinions on this though!
Ok, Thank you

karyn.mcdonald

• Adventurer
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »
Hello moderators!
just wondering if one of you could help me with my essay thesis and structure for Module A - Distinctively Visual?
I'm a bit worried about my thesis and topic sentences and whether I can adapt the structure to an HSC question (I'm just thinking if we were asked about context in relation to the DV i'd be completely stumped as to what to do!) Also do you think it's a good idea to use a quote of Henry Lawson's in my introduction?

Thesis + Intro:
Australia, through its landscape and diversity, provides scope for a vast range of differing human experiences; however, distinctively visual story-telling is pivotal in sharing these experiences and gaining knowledge from them. Through unique and vivid images, the harsh Australian environment, adversity, and human emotions are illustrated with a starkness that leaves a lasting impression on the responder. Henry Lawson, a well-known Australian author, who in 1899 wrote in The Bulletin; “If I could paint… my ambition would be to paint Australia as it is, and as it changes: pictures that Australians could look back through…”, utilises effective language in his short stories, ‘The Drover’s Wife’, and ‘In a Dry Season’, in order to allow his responders to visualise the experiences of his stereotypical characters. ‘The Strangers’, an extract from Kate Grenville’s novel The Secret River, also illustrates personal encounters through distinctively visual language devices. In all three texts, composers effectively portray the bleak Australian environment, various hardships, and human emotions; all elements through which one’s human experiences are shaped.

Paragraph 1: Topic sentence: The harsh and isolated environment of Australia is a key element portrayed by distinctive images to convey its influence on the experience of individuals associated with it.

Paragraph Two Topic Sentence: The ability to overcome adversity is essential in the process of forming and moulding one’s experiences. This factor is successfully revealed through unique images sketched by Lawson in ‘The Drover’s Wife’.

Paragraph Three Topic Sentence: Human experiences are also influenced by human emotions that emerge as consequence of hardship. These emotions may include fear and anxiety, or indifference, and are presented effectively through visual representations.

Conclusion:
Human experiences are characterised by surrounding environments, overcoming hardship, and human emotions. Henry Lawson in ‘The Drover’s Wife’ and ‘In a Dry Season’, and Kate Grenville in her extract ‘The Strangers’ from The Secret River, both effectively reveal to their readers each of these elements through the distinctively visual story-telling. It can be reckoned that distinctively visual is perhaps one of greatest tools in recreating human experiences in a vibrant memorable way that resonates with the reader.

Thanks so much ;)... really appreciate your time!

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:07 pm »
+1
THANKS

Page 13

Moreover, the use of the metaphor and colour symbolism, “I named it the cave because it’s so dark and brown” creates a depressing voice and tone, which in turn suggests Tom’s anger and anger at cruel world of his grandmother’s house. However the ‘cave’ serves as a physical and metaphorical escape of Tom’s current world and it’s realities. The responder comes to an understanding that an individual’s experience of transitioning isn’t always a positive and comfortable one but can be rather negative and can cause harm to the individual but will allow the individual to understand new ideas of themselves.

Please don't copy word for word but you can surely use some of it :) :) :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:33:07 pm by sanj123 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »
+1
Hello moderators!
just wondering if one of you could help me with my essay thesis and structure for Module A - Distinctively Visual?
I'm a bit worried about my thesis and topic sentences and whether I can adapt the structure to an HSC question (I'm just thinking if we were asked about context in relation to the DV i'd be completely stumped as to what to do!) Also do you think it's a good idea to use a quote of Henry Lawson's in my introduction?

Thesis + Intro:
Australia, through its landscape and diversity, provides scope for a vast range of differing human experiences; however, distinctively visual story-telling is pivotal in sharing these experiences and gaining knowledge from them. Through unique and vivid images, the harsh Australian environment, adversity, and human emotions are illustrated with a starkness that leaves a lasting impression on the responder. Henry Lawson, a well-known Australian author, who in 1899 wrote in The Bulletin; “If I could paint… my ambition would be to paint Australia as it is, and as it changes: pictures that Australians could look back through…”, utilises effective language in his short stories, ‘The Drover’s Wife’, and ‘In a Dry Season’, in order to allow his responders to visualise the experiences of his stereotypical characters. ‘The Strangers’, an extract from Kate Grenville’s novel The Secret River, also illustrates personal encounters through distinctively visual language devices. In all three texts, composers effectively portray the bleak Australian environment, various hardships, and human emotions; all elements through which one’s human experiences are shaped.

I think this works really well! The quote works well, but I don't think it really communicates anything to further your ideas. It's not ineffective, but you could remove it and have your introduction work just as well. Besides this, good expression and good ideas, I think this works really well!

Paragraph 1: Topic sentence: The harsh and isolated environment of Australia is a key element portrayed by distinctive images to convey its influence on the experience of individuals associated with it.

This is a good topic sentence! It's a little vague though, what sort of influence does it have? Be sure to qualify this either here or later in the paragraph!

Paragraph Two Topic Sentence: The ability to overcome adversity is essential in the process of forming and moulding one’s experiences. This factor is successfully revealed through unique images sketched by Lawson in ‘The Drover’s Wife’.

Excellent! This is great! No suggestions.

Paragraph Three Topic Sentence: Human experiences are also influenced by human emotions that emerge as consequence of hardship. These emotions may include fear and anxiety, or indifference, and are presented effectively through visual representations.

Again, what influence does it have. Do these emotions restrict the individual in any way?

Conclusion:
Human experiences are characterised by surrounding environments, overcoming hardship, and human emotions. Henry Lawson in ‘The Drover’s Wife’ and ‘In a Dry Season’, and Kate Grenville in her extract ‘The Strangers’ from The Secret River, both effectively reveal to their readers each of these elements through the distinctively visual story-telling. It can be reckoned that distinctively visual is perhaps one of greatest tools in recreating human experiences in a vibrant memorable way that resonates with the reader.

Overall I think these set up your essay well! They are definitely general enough to be applied to a variety of questions! My overall comment would be to ensure that everything is connected to the module under a central concept. For you, this is going to be the human experience, and how aspects of the human experience are conveyed through distinctive visual images to resonate with responders. That bit in bold is what I'm missing, a REASON for the distinctive images. Besides that you've set up the core idea of the human experience well. Overall, I think this is a really great setup!

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2016, 06:09:43 pm »
can we use the same related text for two essays ! ?? ::)

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2016, 07:29:53 pm »
Yes  :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2016, 07:31:52 pm »

Definitely! I only used one related text for the entire Year 12 :_

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2016, 07:36:32 pm »
Definitely! I only used one related text for the entire Year 12 :_
Wot.

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2016, 07:40:15 pm »
Wot.

Yeah one related text... All im using
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME