Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 07:27:49 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210215 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2017, 08:55:39 pm »
+1
I'm with Elyse on this one, the use of personal pronouns in essays is a bit "iffy" for me ;D do it now while your teacher is marking, but I wouldn't do it in the HSC! ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2017, 06:17:49 pm »
Hey! I'm just wondering if there is a particular structure to follow by when writing a reflection. Thanks!! :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

ziggy9999

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:11 pm »
Hi.. i am doing Module C (Distinctively Visual) my prescribed is Run Lola Run.
We have an essay question we need to answer in regards to our prescribed and one related text. My question is: 1) what is a good related text for Run Lola Run? something unique preferably. 2) Can u pls breakdown this essay question for me if you can. How should i answer it what is it specifically asking? (if you can pls answer through run lola run if not its fine)
The essay question is: In what ways are people and their experiences brought to life through the distinctively visual?
Thank you so much. It would mean a lot if you reply asap because its due soon.

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2017, 10:17:55 pm »
“Distinctively visual texts are able to capture and instill genuine emotional responses in the audience.”

How does your prescribed text and one other text of your own choosing explore this idea?
[/b][/u]

Hey guys,
Im really confused with this seen essay question i have in class next week.
Im struggling with " capture and instill genuine emotional responses in the audience". Does this mean the emotional responses in the text, are conveyed to the responder through the distinctivily visual, or, is it saying that the distincitivly visual enables a responder to generate an emotional response as a reaction to what is conveyed through the distinticivly visual?

Thanks so much for your help.

HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »
+1
Hey! I'm just wondering if there is a particular structure to follow by when writing a reflection. Thanks!! :)

hey Dalvin! I'm not familiar with the reflection task. How long is it? What are you reflecting on? :)

Hi.. i am doing Module C (Distinctively Visual) my prescribed is Run Lola Run.
We have an essay question we need to answer in regards to our prescribed and one related text. My question is: 1) what is a good related text for Run Lola Run? something unique preferably. 2) Can u pls breakdown this essay question for me if you can. How should i answer it what is it specifically asking? (if you can pls answer through run lola run if not its fine)
The essay question is: In what ways are people and their experiences brought to life through the distinctively visual?
Thank you so much. It would mean a lot if you reply asap because its due soon.
Hey! I'm sorry I'm not familiar with your text but I can assist with breaking down the essay question.
Firstly, you need to be able to recognise what is distinctly visual, and also where distinctly visual features are shown in your texts. This is very important to grasp for this module. Then, you need to be able to identify both people and experiences respectively, and then how they engage together. What is the relationship between people and their experiences, and then, how is this shown through distinctly visual features of a text?

“Distinctively visual texts are able to capture and instill genuine emotional responses in the audience.”
How does your prescribed text and one other text of your own choosing explore this idea?
[/b][/u]
Hey guys,
Im really confused with this seen essay question i have in class next week.
Im struggling with " capture and instill genuine emotional responses in the audience". Does this mean the emotional responses in the text, are conveyed to the responder through the distinctivily visual, or, is it saying that the distincitivly visual enables a responder to generate an emotional response as a reaction to what is conveyed through the distinticivly visual?
Thanks so much for your help.
Hey there! Thanks for reaching out :)
Here is my interpretation of your essay question!
I think it's worth noting the difference between capturing and instilling. To instil is to gradually but firmly establish, but to capture is catch or seize. So the audiences emotions are captured, we evoke the audience, but we also see that the audience is being instilled with new responses of the emotional kind. You could interpret the question in either way you have, but I especially see it as your latter interpretation, about the text generator a response from the reader.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:06 am »
thank you so much thats what i was thinking
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2017, 07:58:34 am »
We are using Robert Frost's poems for Discovery. How many of them would you suggest I know, in preparation for the HSC exams?? Would three be enough??

Thanks!

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2017, 08:35:48 pm »
Hello, one skill I struggle with is coming up with a strong thesis and topic statement and convert them into strong arguments. Can I please get an example with the following question ?

How do the texts you have studied explore the transition of individuals into new phases of life and new social contexts?

MY THESIS : Individuals who overcome certain obstacles may gain new attitudes and beliefs which change their character and lead them to a new phase in life.

:3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »
We are using Robert Frost's poems for Discovery. How many of them would you suggest I know, in preparation for the HSC exams?? Would three be enough??

Thanks!

Hey JD! You'd want to know all of them to at least some level - Just in case the question suits one poem specifically or something like that. However, knowing three in depth and then everything else to a more basic level - I reckon that would be enough. You are allowed your favourites! Just make sure the ones you choose, you really know them well :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2017, 08:48:47 pm »
+1
Hello, one skill I struggle with is coming up with a strong thesis and topic statement and convert them into strong arguments. Can I please get an example with the following question ?

How do the texts you have studied explore the transition of individuals into new phases of life and new social contexts?

MY THESIS : Individuals who overcome certain obstacles may gain new attitudes and beliefs which change their character and lead them to a new phase in life.

Hey! If you haven't already, check out this guide that Elyse wrote on coming up with a Thesis for the Area of Study. The skills are transferrable to the modules! ;D

I like the idea of your Thesis - That it is through overcoming obstacles that individuals transition into new stages of life. I think the main comment would be that it is a little vague - What sorts of obstacles, for example? Attitudes and beliefs about what? What do you mean by "change their character?" You'd perhaps want to extend your Thesis over two sentences to give it a good and proper start ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2017, 11:47:40 pm »
hey Dalvin! I'm not familiar with the reflection task. How long is it? What are you reflecting on? :)

Hi Elyse! It was just simply asking me to reflect how the text has enhanced and broadened my understanding of DISCOVERY :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:43:18 am by elysepopplewell »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2017, 01:58:39 am »
+1
Hi Elyse! It was just simply asking me to reflect how the text has enhanced and broadened my understanding of DISCOVERY :)

Okay! Well, if it's a short answer response I think that you firstly need to establish the judgement about the extent to which the text has actually enhanced or broadened your perspective about discovery! Then depending on the length of your reflection, I'd pin point specific aspects of the text, and pin it against the rubric, to identify the way the text, the elements of discovery, and you, have interacted. There's no set structure for a reflection statement that I'm aware of, I think it's fairly liberal!

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »
+1
We did a task similar to this and my teacher got us to write about how it had impacted/changed us...what we discovered through the text etc.

Not sure if this helps! :)

Mod: Added quote
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:35:51 am by elysepopplewell »

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:12 pm »
Hi, thanks for the help guys.

I'm currently doing A Close Study of 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon. For this I'm doing an essay and my first paragraph is about the genres of the novel; do I still have to include techniques?

Sorry if my question doesn't make sense.
Thank you
XOXO
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2017, 06:42:28 pm »
+1
Hi, thanks for the help guys.

I'm currently doing A Close Study of 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon. For this I'm doing an essay and my first paragraph is about the genres of the novel; do I still have to include techniques?

Sorry if my question doesn't make sense.
Thank you
XOXO

Hey, based on the little information here, I'm going to say, yes techniques are a good idea :) Techniques can often help create a genre. For example: Western iconography is something that contributes to a novel being a Western! So, if it adds to your discussion of the genre, then I think it can be useful :)