Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:09:05 pm

Author Topic: uni marks?  (Read 1632 times)  Share 

kdgamz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
uni marks?
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:38:49 pm »
ive been reading many threads on this board and I keep on seeing things like H1s and H2As? wat do these mean?

and how are they related to getting High distinctions and distinctions?

one more thing? does you marks at Uni depend on the students? for example if someone got 60% for a subject does that mean that that  person beat 60% of the people who took that subject or no?

im just confused so if anyone could clarify that'd be great......

thanks

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Re: uni marks?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 02:47:13 pm »
The H1 is just another name for an HD. It's just different systems that universities adopt, but they're essentially the same thing.

That is, Melbourne grades follow this convention:
H1 = 80%+
H2A = 75% - 79%
H2B = 70% - 74%
H3 = 65% - 69%
P = 50% - 64%

Where as for the other system (that Monash uses):
HD = 80%+
D = 70% - 79%
C = 60% - 69%
P = 50% - 59%

(Fail is <50% for both)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:48:50 pm by ReVeL »
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

d0minicz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:38:49 pm »

one more thing? does you marks at Uni depend on the students? for example if someone got 60% for a subject does that mean that that  person beat 60% of the people who took that subject or no?

i think someone told me whatever you get is your %
doesnt matter about the others
however also heard sometimes they can only hand out a certain number of HD's or watever
may be wrong
Doctor of Medicine (UoM)

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »

i think someone told me whatever you get is your %
doesnt matter about the others
however also heard sometimes they can only hand out a certain number of HD's or watever
may be wrong

i think what happens is if say, in one subject too many people score high and get Ds and HDs then next year that subject will be harder in an attempt to create a better distribution of marks
either that or if they anticipate a lot of high marks or low marks they might just adjust the generosity of the marking
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

kdgamz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »
thanks ReVel, so i assume H2A means dinstinction and H2B 'a lower form of distinction?'...and so on

at ryan77 and dominics, ive heard cases where literally the whole class fails, maybe one or two pass with credits, so nearly everyone complains, so a re-marking takes place and alot of the people who failed got a Distinction, that made me wonder that even if the lecturer was pretty harsh it might stuff u up.

and if the exams were hard, that will lower ur GPA and prevent one from going into a desired grad course...hmm

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:42:13 pm »
thanks ReVel, so i assume H2A means dinstinction and H2B 'a lower form of distinction?'...and so on

at ryan77 and dominics, ive heard cases where literally the whole class fails, maybe one or two pass with credits, so nearly everyone complains, so a re-marking takes place and alot of the people who failed got a Distinction, that made me wonder that even if the lecturer was pretty harsh it might stuff u up.

and if the exams were hard, that will lower ur GPA and prevent one from going into a desired grad course...hmm

h1 = first class honours
h2a = second class honours-level a
h2b = second class honours-level b
h3 = third class honours

Pappa-Bohr

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:52 pm »
at melb they dont use bell curves (well atleast in the subjects i've done), whatever your raw score is on the exam+assignments = your percentage grade.