Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 11:46:28 am

Author Topic: New University Courses  (Read 921 times)  Share 

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
New University Courses
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »
Hey all,
I thought I would ask a question on something that had me wondering.
With some courses being "all new" and offered for the first time at a certain campus or "all new" in that it has not been offered before, how does it work in relation to ATAR?
The main reason being that looking through this years VTAC Guide 2012 online I noticed the above scenarios a few times and that there was no ATAR score for them.
If it is "all new" for that campus would the ATAR be similar to the same course at a fellow campus or is entirely dependent on other factors such as location and demand for the course?
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: New University Courses
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:40:50 pm »
The only thing that determines the ATAR is the demand for the course. Factored into that demand is stuff like prestige, location, strength of the course, employability etc.

If you want a very rough idea, then yeah considering similar courses should be an estimate

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: New University Courses
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:33:57 am »
I think they set X number of places. They accept the highest scoring applicant first, with respect to things like SEAS as well, then move down the list ATAR/SEAS Adjusted ATAR wise untill they fill their allocation. So, really not that different from a regular university course.

ATAR's aren't actually set in advance from year to year or anything like that. All established courses work via the same process i described above. Occasionally the university artificially changes things, like melbourne upping the number of places to try bring the minimum atar for their Bsc to 85 but most of the time it is just supply/demand.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research