Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:00:16 am

Author Topic: Good Universities Guide  (Read 2377 times)  Share 

bully3000

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -5
Good Universities Guide
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:11:17 pm »
http://www.hobsonscoursefinder.com.au/ratings/perrating?ratingType=gettingJobUG&type=UG&actionSearch=Search

I was just wondering when it comes to these ratings, is the Good Universities Guide, a reliable source of data/facts?

Do the ratings sound right to you or would you take them with a grain of salt?

lala1911

Re: Good Universities Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:27 pm »
+6
Lol, I believe its not reliable.
Deakin 1 star? RMIT 2 stars? Got to be kidding. They may be lower than Monash and Melb Uni, but I don't think its appropriate to give them 1 stars.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:59:16 pm »
+2
The way they measure their criteria (employability, satisfaction) seems to be inaccurate.

As a relative ranking, it'd be okay to give certain universities 1 star compared with the Go8 and other top universities being 4- and 5-star. But University of Ballarat being 4-stars and UoM being 3-stars is a bit of a joke.

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:08:25 pm »
+2
Quoth them:
The ‘Success in getting a job’ rating
★★★★★ means the proportion of jobseeking graduates who were successful in securing full-time employment within four months of graduation is high enough to put this institution among the top 20 per cent; ★★★★ puts it in the second 20 per cent; and so on. It is based on the Graduate Destinations Survey of 2008 and 2009 graduates conducted by GCA in 2009 and 2010.

simba

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:01:31 pm »
+1
http://www.hobsonscoursefinder.com.au/ratings/perrating?ratingType=overallSatisfactionDomUG&type=UG&actionSearch=Search#.UeaHJo7t9Sp

I find it fairly entertaining that Melbourne uni only received one star for overall domestic graduate satisfaction

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
There are far more reputable sources of information on Universities than this one. You're better to look at the international rankings, like QS (and I can't remember what the other is—maybe New York Times or something if someone wants to confirm?). They use far more extensive sources of data, larger sample sizes and look at a lot more criteria. They also have an important reputation to uphold and a huge responsibility, so they're far more reliable as a result.

The other thing, just have a look at your Unis as well. The better Unis in Australia generally have no issue in telling you—even when you're a student there—every single second of the day what they're currently ranked.

It's also probably useful to note that Universities do have certain standards that they have to reach to give a degree, so you won't see a huge difference between them. A lot of the differences are about atmosphere and your class mates, which don't get me wrong, are hugely important!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

lala1911

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
Tbh I believe the best kind of information you can get is from current and recent students. That's why open day's are there, ask away :D

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:50:03 pm »
+2
There are far more reputable sources of information on Universities than this one. You're better to look at the international rankings, like QS (and I can't remember what the other is—maybe New York Times or something if someone wants to confirm?). They use far more extensive sources of data, larger sample sizes and look at a lot more criteria. They also have an important reputation to uphold and a huge responsibility, so they're far more reliable as a result.

The other thing, just have a look at your Unis as well. The better Unis in Australia generally have no issue in telling you—even when you're a student there—every single second of the day what they're currently ranked.

It's also probably useful to note that Universities do have certain standards that they have to reach to give a degree, so you won't see a huge difference between them. A lot of the differences are about atmosphere and your class mates, which don't get me wrong, are hugely important!
I'll disagree and say that the international rankings mean very little for an undergraduate. What they do tend to measure is the research output and quality, which is very strongly related to wealth, history and 'prestige' (not at all surprising). Any simple ranking (Good Universities Guide included) is not ideal for any single student considering a single course.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11:58 am »
I'll disagree and say that the international rankings mean very little for an undergraduate. What they do tend to measure is the research output and quality, which is very strongly related to wealth, history and 'prestige' (not at all surprising). Any simple ranking (Good Universities Guide included) is not ideal for any single student considering a single course.

I guess this is true. It's probably fair to say that there is a huge difference between undergrad and postgrad, and the quality of these degrees. I guess it depends on the Universities though. Some Universities have really extensive undergrad programmes, whereas others maybe not so much. That's in terms of professional entry anyway. For example, studying med or law at Monash or Melbourne.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:35 am »
Quoth them:
The ‘Success in getting a job’ rating
★★★★★ means the proportion of jobseeking graduates who were successful in securing full-time employment within four months of graduation is high enough to put this institution among the top 20 per cent; ★★★★ puts it in the second 20 per cent; and so on. It is based on the Graduate Destinations Survey of 2008 and 2009 graduates conducted by GCA in 2009 and 2010.
Can definitely see issues with this methodology. Maybe I'll read that survey.