Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:27:03 am

Author Topic: NAT0003 - further maths question thread  (Read 989 times)  Share 

NAT0003

NAT0003 - further maths question thread
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
+1
How to understand the trick questions in further?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: NAT0003 - further maths question thread
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:56:50 pm »
+2
NAT - I think the important thing when dealing with a trick question is understanding what the question is actually asking. You might identify key words by using a highlighter (as one example).

The best way to eliminate misconceptions is to have a solid understanding of the processes required to answer a question. For example, a simple error such as using an unordered data set for calculating the median is one that could be easily rectified by understanding that before hand. Practice is key. You can rote learn or try to memorise formulas, but without practicing and applying them in questions... it will be very difficult come test/exam/assignment time.

Just remember for your Further exams, you are able to use a CAS calculator (such as a CASIO Classpad or TI-nspire)... I would definitely learn how to use that in depth because these calculators will do the hard work for you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:00:15 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

NAT0003

Re: NAT0003 - further maths question thread
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:57:29 pm »
NAT - I think the important thing when dealing with a trick question is understanding what the question is actually asking. You might identify key words by using a highlighter (as one example).

The best way to eliminate misconceptions is to have a solid understanding of the processes required to answer a question. For example, a simple error such as using an unordered data set for calculating the median is one that could be easily rectified by understanding that before hand. Practice is key. You can rote learn or try to memorise formulas, but without practicing and applying them in questions... it will be very difficult come test/exam/assignment time.

Just remember for your Further exams, you are able to use a CAS calculator (such as a CASIO Classpad or TI-nspire)... I would definitely learn how to use that in depth because these calculators will do the hard work for you.
Thanks for helping :)