Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 12:29:05 am

Author Topic: Should I Get on a Biology Tutor?  (Read 4374 times)  Share 

ilinnichi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I Get on a Biology Tutor?
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:15 am »
Hello all!  :)

I am currently doing VCE Unit 2 Biology and I was wondering if I should get a Biology Tutor for Units 3 and 4 next year?

Long story short:

In Unit 1, I was averaging an A for my outcomes, but got 67% on my exam. My class average was 64%. Also, from what I heard about the other Biology classes, they were that they were averaging a 30-40%.

I invested in tuition at the start of Unit 2, but from that, I started getting lazier in terms of how I studied. I didn't memorise my content as much as I desired to in Unit 1. An example of what I do is memorise my notes 3AM in the morning of the outcome. Now, my outcome average is 78% and my exam is next week.

How I study:
- Collect all the notes from what I am given
- Write my own notes on a document and print them out
- Memorise it all (word by word for some of them)

Notes to consider:
- Rarely do I ever make reference to the textbook (Nature of Biology)
- I don't do practise tests for outcomes
- I don't provide myself with practise tests/exams for exams (I do them when teacher gives it to the class)
- I have the mentality of 'it's just Unit 2 and it's not going to affect my ATAR'
- I enjoy the subject, like most of the content, but don't really like getting testing on it.

I know I need to get my game on for next year. I believe that I can be passionate in self-teaching myself the content before the unit begins, as I have the resources like checkpoint books and A+ notes, but these follow the old study design.

I would just like advise!

Thanks in advance!

:)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:15:18 am by ilinnichi »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Should I Get on a Biology Tutor?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
+2
Welcome to ATAR Notes! :)

I think you've answered your own question, really. If you think you can effectively self-teach and have the motivation to do so, I personally don't much see the benefit of tuition. I've tutored for almost eight years, and I can honestly say that, sometimes, I don't think it has much of an impact.

I don't think it would hurt as such, but you've clearly identified what you think you need to work on. I'd be working through those dot points before turning to tuition (which is undoubtedly and option and could be very useful).

All the best with your decision!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

littledreamer

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:28:38 pm »
I did biology this year and had a tutor alongside which I think really benefitted me and my score. Although I think it is dependent on how you learn and how good your tutor and teacher will be, how I did it was my tutor would teach me ahead of what I learnt in class and this was really good cause I will go to class and learn the content pretty much twice (I like learning/ revising verbally rather than re reading notes). Because I already knew some of the content, when I learnt it in class I knew which questions to ask my teacher etc. If your teacher is good and you are motivated to do extra work (exams/checkpoints) I don't think you will need a tutor but if you could afford a tutor then why not? This year my tutor did provide me with extra worksheets/ her own questions + notes which I relied on (along with school stuff) but I did not use the textbook at all - only rarely to reference if I was confused. However leading up to my exam I did heaps of prac exams! Hope this helps :)

mishs

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 12:10:01 am »
Hi!
I did biology this year and I used a tutor and I definitely think it really helped me.
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to choose a tutor, is your learning style.
For example, some tutors have their own set course for the year to finish content whereas others are kinda just there to answer any of your questions.
Try and figure out where you're lacking in your study routine (everyone is in some form or the other!) and if you think your problem areas can be helped by a tutor, definitely get one.
Hope that helped!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 12:27:39 am »
+4
Hi!
I did biology this year and I used a tutor and I definitely think it really helped me.
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to choose a tutor, is your learning style.
For example, some tutors have their own set course for the year to finish content whereas others are kinda just there to answer any of your questions.
Try and figure out where you're lacking in your study routine (everyone is in some form or the other!) and if you think your problem areas can be helped by a tutor, definitely get one.
Hope that helped!

This is really sage advice.

I think it's also really important to recognise that like teachers and students, there's a great range of qualities of tutors. Just because someone got a good score in Biology doesn't make them a good tutor. It's really important then to make sure you get the opportunity to have a good chat with someone before you hire them, just to get a sense of the vibe :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 12:40:21 am »
+1
Quote from: vox nihili
Just because someone got a good score in Biology doesn't make them a good tutor.

Cannot stress this enough, as it also applies to tutors in other disciplines as well. +1'd
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 12:13:26 pm »
+1
Cannot stress this enough, as it also applies to tutors in other disciplines as well. +1'd

As much as we all know this is true, not everyone believes this. +1'd!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:26:38 pm by Orson »
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

DivyaJ1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »
Hello ilinnichi..!!

I am also a Science Student & i can Understand your problem completely.

The Most important thing is Self Motivation for Studies. If you are self motivated then you can do it easily, no matter how much hard it gets, you can Learn everything easily.

Yes, Let's come to the second important thing - you can take help from a good tutor, who can understand your problems & help you to take you at the next step.

Prepare a plan & follow that strategy strictly. Include every type of topic, Interesting & uninteresting in a day. So you will not get bored of your Studies. This was my Strategy of CSIR NET Preparation , whenever I get bored of any topic, I change that & Study something interesting.

I hope it will help you.
Best of Luck :)  :)