Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 08:39:34 am

Author Topic: Use of quotes  (Read 1807 times)  Share 

c23

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Use of quotes
« on: October 30, 2009, 02:02:04 am »
i'm just wondering is it advised that we use quotes from the text which are not mentioned in the given passages?

say, if i used a quote as part of my introduction which was not in the given passages as it ties in with my main interpretation of the novel, would the examiners marks me down on that or anything? since it really isnt using the passages given to discuss :/

thanks!
2008: Further Maths
2009: Accounting, Chemistry, Maths Methods, Literature, Psychology

derivativex

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Re: Use of quotes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:46:35 pm »
You can use quotes that aren't in the passages.  However you need to make sure your discussion is based ON the passages and that you are using THOSE passages to discuss the text as a whole.

Also if you're planning to introduce with your interpretation you need to be careful as you might fall into thematic discussion, whereas you should discuss how meaning is constructed as a high priority.
VCE 2009
ENTER: 97.05
Subjects: English 44>[43.99] Literature 42>[43.23] History: Revolutions 42>[43.59] Pyschology 41>[40.52] Methods 32>[38.24] Legal Studies 37>[36.21]

iamdan08

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • VCE Survivor
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:07:59 pm »
You can, however it has to be relevant to the passages. Make sure you aren't writing a prepared response because that is not what the examiners want and they will mark you unfavorably as a consequence. However if you can tie it in with a reference to the passages then yes it shouldn't be a problem.
2007-08 VCE - Accounting, Texts & Traditions, Methods, Chem, Physics, Lit

2011 Bachelor of Biomedicine (Completed) @ The University of Melbourne
2012 Doctor of Medicine (Second Year) @ The University of Melbourne

c23

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:10:14 pm »
oh cause my teacher said we could prepare a "working introduction" that is our interpretation of the passages which will lead us into the passages and how they reflect our interpretation.
so i was thinking of coming in with a prepared 2 sentence introduction :/

maybe i should just leap into the passages

iamdan08

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • VCE Survivor
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:12:57 pm »
Well i personally wouldn't recommend it unless you struggle to start writing and it helps you launch into your analysis. If its only a couple of sentences it may not be too bad, just ensure that it relates to the passages, because if you are quoting something, or stating a point of view that does not relate to the passages, then it will look like a prepared response and that is not what the exam task wants.
2007-08 VCE - Accounting, Texts & Traditions, Methods, Chem, Physics, Lit

2011 Bachelor of Biomedicine (Completed) @ The University of Melbourne
2012 Doctor of Medicine (Second Year) @ The University of Melbourne

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:13:48 pm »
For the highest level of success you definitely need to refer to outside of the passage; whether or not you do so in the intro do is another question (probably no).
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

c23

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »
Well i personally wouldn't recommend it unless you struggle to start writing and it helps you launch into your analysis. If its only a couple of sentences it may not be too bad, just ensure that it relates to the passages, because if you are quoting something, or stating a point of view that does not relate to the passages, then it will look like a prepared response and that is not what the exam task wants.

yeah i find it quite hard to start and when i do it seems like it's all jumbled and jumps from one place to another. i have all these ideas in my head but i just find it so difficult to put them on paper unless it's "one of those days" kinda thing :/

For the highest level of success you definitely need to refer to outside of the passage; whether or not you do so in the intro do is another question (probably no).
yeah my teacher said to remember just a few quotes that are just "words" that will help strengthen my interpretation

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Facebook-free since September
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:21:21 pm »

My personal view is that you need a SHORT intro (4-5 sentences max) which frames your discussion. I know the VCAA said last year not to do an intro; but that is similarly contradicted by their report in 2007 which encouraged an intro - so personally, I think you can't go wrong with compromise, especially if it helps put everything into perspective for both you and your marker!

Also, I reckon one-word quotes are great because they demonstrate an understanding of the text as a whole, but make sure you stick to the passages more than the one-word snippets from other parts of your text!

yeah i find it quite hard to start and when i do it seems like it's all jumbled and jumps from one place to another. i have all these ideas in my head but i just find it so difficult to put them on paper unless it's "one of those days" kinda thing :/

yeah my teacher said to remember just a few quotes that are just "words" that will help strengthen my interpretation
2008: Biology
2009: English Literature, Chemistry, Mathematical Methods, Indonesian SL, Theatre Studies