Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:46:43 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1039271 times)  Share 

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: HSC Physics Question Thread
« Reply #3660 on: February 26, 2019, 04:45:09 pm »
+1
Find the altitude of a satellite in orbit around Earth if its orbital speed is 5.0km/s.

Hey there :)

Okay but this question has me slightly confused,

"Two long, parallel, current-carrying conductors attract each other with a force of F newtons. The current in each, and the distance between them is tripled. Predict the new force between the wires"

heLP

For some distance between them r, and for some current I1 and I2, the force per unit length is F. If you triple the current in one wire, the force triples, since we can see force and current are directly proportional. Similarly, if you triple the distance between them, the force is reduced by a factor of three since we can see force and current are inversely proportional. After applying all the changes specified in the question, the new force should be 3F.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:50:51 pm by fun_jirachi »
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #3661 on: February 26, 2019, 05:32:01 pm »
+1
Find the altitude of a satellite in orbit around Earth if its orbital speed is 5.0km/s.

Just to add in here, if we want the orbital altitude make sure to subract Earth's radius from your answer from above :)
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

e2503

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3662 on: February 27, 2019, 09:18:14 pm »
Hi there  :D

How do i make calculations of projectile motion with the consideration of air resistance/ drag forces? And would the calculations including air resistance differ immensely compared to theoretical caclucations with no air resistance?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3663 on: February 27, 2019, 10:39:43 pm »
+4
Hi there  :D

How do i make calculations of projectile motion with the consideration of air resistance/ drag forces? And would the calculations including air resistance differ immensely compared to theoretical caclucations with no air resistance?

Hello! So if you do want to do that (don't need to in this course!) there are a few ways you can do it, depending on how accurate you want to be with things ;D

Air resistance is generally modelled as being proportional to the square of velocity. The constant of proportionality is the drag coefficient, and is different depending on the object, its inclination, all sorts of stuff. I've seen \(C=0.5\) used a fair bit, I think it might be the standard one for spherical objects?

So the idea is you calculate the air resistance by taking the velocity \(V\) (the vector sum of horizontal and vertical velocities), calculating the resistive acceleration as \(a_\text{res}=0.5V^2\), and then redistributing that to the two directions.

Where \(\theta\) is the velocity angle at that point in time! As you can see, it gets complicated quickly! The other thing you can do is just add a constant horizontal deceleration to the object, which effectively turns your horizontal calculations into ones with acceleration just like the vertical. And there are more - It depends on how close you want to be to reality ;D

Edit: How much will it differ? Again, depends. Try and calculate the motion of an airplane without air resistance and things break pretty quickly! For most everyday situations with aerodynamic objects, you are fine. For example, I did an experiment with my Tutesmart class to predict the landing position of a hot wheels car launched from a ramp. The theoretically predicted position was exactly where the car landed ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:46:19 pm by jamonwindeyer »

e2503

• Adventurer
« Reply #3664 on: February 28, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »
+1
Hello! So if you do want to do that (don't need to in this course!) there are a few ways you can do it, depending on how accurate you want to be with things ;D

Air resistance is generally modelled as being proportional to the square of velocity. The constant of proportionality is the drag coefficient, and is different depending on the object, its inclination, all sorts of stuff. I've seen \(C=0.5\) used a fair bit, I think it might be the standard one for spherical objects?

So the idea is you calculate the air resistance by taking the velocity \(V\) (the vector sum of horizontal and vertical velocities), calculating the resistive acceleration as \(a_\text{res}=0.5V^2\), and then redistributing that to the two directions.

Where \(\theta\) is the velocity angle at that point in time! As you can see, it gets complicated quickly! The other thing you can do is just add a constant horizontal deceleration to the object, which effectively turns your horizontal calculations into ones with acceleration just like the vertical. And there are more - It depends on how close you want to be to reality ;D

Edit: How much will it differ? Again, depends. Try and calculate the motion of an airplane without air resistance and things break pretty quickly! For most everyday situations with aerodynamic objects, you are fine. For example, I did an experiment with my Tutesmart class to predict the landing position of a hot wheels car launched from a ramp. The theoretically predicted position was exactly where the car landed ;D

Thank you so much for your help  :D :D :)
I will be sure to remeber your tips

sarrahbarodawala

• Adventurer
« Reply #3665 on: March 03, 2019, 01:50:14 pm »
Hello!
Have a question regarding magnetic fields
"What is the minimum magnitude of a magnetic field necessary to apply a force of 1 x 10-12 to an electron moving at a speed of 500 kms-1? What electric field is necessary to apply this magnitude force?
There are so many formulas regarding magnetic fields that I just got so confused in working it out. Please help :)

Thank you!
btw answers  are a) magnetic field 13T and b) electric field 6.3 x 106 NC-1

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3666 on: March 03, 2019, 04:14:23 pm »
+2

If there seem to be too many formulas, the quickfix is just to figure out what you have, and what you need to find. Then basically the formula with the most corresponding stuff is the one you need, otherwise you do a little substitution of one formula into another to make a derived formula you can use. In this case, it's totally unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:19:39 pm by fun_jirachi »
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #3667 on: March 05, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »
Hello,
I am stuck on all of the multiple choice questions in the attachment below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

jmbelger

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3668 on: March 05, 2019, 06:40:03 pm »
Hey,

So we have a prac investigation assessment coming up on the connection between electricity and magnetism (electromagnetism) and we have to discuss how electricity and magnetism are linked.
I've been looking everywhere for a simple explanation without just stating that a current-carrying wire interacts with a magnetic field.

BUT all I can find are people explaining Faraday, Lenz or Maxwell's laws as well as basic principles of magnetism and electrostatics.

Is there a simple explanation for how the two are linked - using basic terminology?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Jem  :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3669 on: March 05, 2019, 07:00:01 pm »
+3
Hey,

So we have a prac investigation assessment coming up on the connection between electricity and magnetism (electromagnetism) and we have to discuss how electricity and magnetism are linked.
I've been looking everywhere for a simple explanation without just stating that a current-carrying wire interacts with a magnetic field.

BUT all I can find are people explaining Faraday, Lenz or Maxwell's laws as well as basic principles of magnetism and electrostatics.

Is there a simple explanation for how the two are linked - using basic terminology?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Jem  :D

Welcome to the forums Jem!! ;D

Electricity and magnetism are two tangible manifestations of the same electromagnetic force. Two faces, same person, sort of thing! In fact, we even have a name for the combined effects of electric/magnetic forces on an object - The Lorentz Force :)

If you do consider them separately, then:

- Moving electrical charges produce magnetic fields
- Changing magnetic fields produce electric fields

Those are the links between the two! :) to actually explain why they are the same is a fair bit above what a high school Physics student would be expected to know, so this should be plenty - The way I read that question, it wants you to explore the ways the two are connected in the physical world rather than theoretically ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3670 on: March 05, 2019, 07:08:31 pm »
+4
Hello,
I am stuck on all of the multiple choice questions in the attachment below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)

Hey David! I'll give you a quick run down, but many of these are really just about knowing the theory for this particular part of the course rather than any sort of problem solving - You might need to revisit your textbook to understand these properly!!

- Q1.1 is C, the colour of a star is related to its surface temperature. This can then be linked to the characteristic wavelength by Wien's Displacement Law.
- Q1.2 is B (as I interpret it), the dominant wavelength of a star is related to the surface temperature by Wien's Displacement Law. However, that law applies only to actual black bodies, of which stars are only an approximate. Therefore, the actual temperature is likely to be slightly different. Wien's Law is also less accurate for shorter wavelengths.
- Q1.3 is B, you just need to know this one :)
- Q1.4 is D, by process of elimination. Photons have different energies (clearly), the amount of energy carried by a photon is inversely proportional to wavelength, and since colour and frequency are linked, C is also untrue. If you calculate the energy per photon for blue and green light, you'll realise that you need less photons of blue light than green light to make 1 joule :)

jmbelger

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3671 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:01 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums Jem!! ;D

Electricity and magnetism are two tangible manifestations of the same electromagnetic force. Two faces, same person, sort of thing! In fact, we even have a name for the combined effects of electric/magnetic forces on an object - The Lorentz Force :)

If you do consider them separately, then:

- Moving electrical charges produce magnetic fields
- Changing magnetic fields produce electric fields

Those are the links between the two! :) to actually explain why they are the same is a fair bit above what a high school Physics student would be expected to know, so this should be plenty - The way I read that question, it wants you to explore the ways the two are connected in the physical world rather than theoretically ;D

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed to know - minus the convoluted textbook mumble!

The prac is meant to examine an investigation which demonstrates the relationship between the two forces so I think I'll start with considering the two forces separately then together.

Once again - thank you!
Jem  ;D

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #3672 on: March 05, 2019, 08:03:56 pm »
+1
Hey David! I'll give you a quick run down, but many of these are really just about knowing the theory for this particular part of the course rather than any sort of problem solving - You might need to revisit your textbook to understand these properly!!

- Q1.1 is C, the colour of a star is related to its surface temperature. This can then be linked to the characteristic wavelength by Wien's Displacement Law.
- Q1.2 is B (as I interpret it), the dominant wavelength of a star is related to the surface temperature by Wien's Displacement Law. However, that law applies only to actual black bodies, of which stars are only an approximate. Therefore, the actual temperature is likely to be slightly different. Wien's Law is also less accurate for shorter wavelengths.
- Q1.3 is B, you just need to know this one :)
- Q1.4 is D, by process of elimination. Photons have different energies (clearly), the amount of energy carried by a photon is inversely proportional to wavelength, and since colour and frequency are linked, C is also untrue. If you calculate the energy per photon for blue and green light, you'll realise that you need less photons of blue light than green light to make 1 joule :)
Thank you Jamon! :)
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #3673 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:09 pm »
Hi!

Can you please help with this question (from AC generators)?

Sketch graphs to show the relationship between:
(a) The flux through the coil and the induced
voltage.
(b) The torque acting on the coil and the induced voltage.

The answers show a sine relationship for (a), and a cosine relationship for (b) - but I can't seem to reason as to why. I thought that, for (a) - as flux increases to some maximum value, induced emf would decrease - and for (b) some sort of direct (not necessarily directly proportional) relationship would occur. Also, I'm a bit confused as to how both flux and torque can be on the x-axis (in the suggested answers) when, in a generator, they don't increase indefinitely?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3674 on: March 09, 2019, 09:25:21 pm »
Hi I'm in Year 11,

I am having trouble understanding the topic area of distance and displacement on horizontal planes, in particular the maths side of questions and formulas. Any guidance/ links to resources will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Coolmate  :D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5