Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:32:08 pm

Author Topic: Some questions I need help on  (Read 15581 times)  Share 

Asteriskkk

Some questions I need help on
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:22:52 pm »
Its been a long time since I had to do these again, and I am having trouble finding an equation, any tips and tricks to find one?

1.The clock in my lounge room is 10 minutes slower than the clock on my phone, which is 6 minutes
slow. My tram always leaves 6 minutes early, although it is scheduled for 8:55am. It takes me 20
minutes to get to the tram stop.
What time must I leave, according to my lounge room clock, in order to catch my tram?

A: 8:49am B: 8.35am C: 8.23am D: 8.29am E: None of these

2. There are 72 apples on my tree at home; 38 are red, and the rest are green. I know 46 of the apples
have worms in them, so I can’t use them for cooking.

What is the maximum number of green apples I could have left to cook with?
A: 0 B: 8 C: 12 D: 26 E: None of these

3.Two numbers are each multiplied by themselves to give two new numbers. The difference between
these two new numbers is less than ten; the difference between the two original numbers was one.
The two original numbers added together was more than 7. What is one of the original
numbers?
 A: 1 B: 2 C: 3 D: 4 E: None of these

Also these, going crazy right now

4.AIRCRAFT is to TRANSPORT as NEWSPAPER is to:
A: typing B: publishing C: editor D: newsroom E: media

5.Jordan’s cat is bigger than Amy’s cat, but is smaller than Jenna’s cat. Fiona’s cat is the same size
as Wendy’s cat, which is bigger than Amy’s cat, but smaller than Jordan’s.

If bigger cats are faster, but smaller cats are more obedient, which of the following lists the
fastest and most obedient cat?

A: Fiona & Jenna B: Amy & Jordan C: Wendy & Jenna D: Jenna & Amy E: None

6.In ancient Egypt, pyramid workers would say “gengro yatju” when wishing other pyramid workers
“good building”. Upon the pyramid workers’ return, the children would ask “Ern yatju gengro?”,
which meant “Was building good”? The pyramid workers would either reply “Ern gengro” (“Was
good building”) or “Ern gangro yatju!”
If gangro symbolises the opposite of gengro, what does “Ern gangro pohim” mean?
A: was bad building B: was hard building C: was fun building
D: was cold building E: was happy building

and the classic

7.Assume that all mils are hils, some hils are jils, and some tils are rils.
Therefore it makes sense that:

A: all mils are jils
B: some hils are mils
C: all tils are hils
D: some jils are hils
E: some mils are hils

8.Assume that some huys are knis, all jiks are suds, and some aws are huys.

A: some knis may also be aws
B: all huys are knis
C: all jiks are aws
D: some suds are knis
E: all jiks are huys

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
Re: Some questions I need help on
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:06 pm »
My teachers always told me to word out the questions, to make them easier. For the first one, basically the train leaves 6 mins early (8:55 - 0:06 = 8:49) It takes him 20 minutes. (8:49 - 0:20 = 8:29) His clock on his phone is 6 mins slower (8:29 - 0:06 = 8:23) and his Lounge room clock is 10 mins slow (8:23 - 10 = 8:13). Therefore the answer is E: none of these.
I'm pretty sure that's how you do it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2) 72 - 38 = 34 Green apples. 46 have worms. We need to know the Maximum. So (worms - Reds = Green Worms meaning [46-38=8]) Now we need to take away the green apples with worms from the good green apples 34 - 8 = 26 Green apples to cook with.
Is this what you need?
3) For the third I basically use trial and error.
4) It seems i'm naturally good at them. Find the relationship between object A and Object B. In this case An airplane is a form of transport just like a Newspaper is a form of Publishing.
5) I just mark them in ranking on a piece of paper. Jordan over Amy and Jenna over Jordan. Fiona = Wendy, Over Amy and Under Jordan. Therefore Jenna's cat is the fastest and Amy's cat is the most obedient.
6) For these I write the words down and try to translate them based on appearance. For example, based on the sentences "Ern yatju gengro" and "gengro yatju", we know Ern means Was, Yatju means building, and gengro means good. So the last one should mean "was bad building", but are you sure it says "pohim"? Anyway moving on..
7) I learnt how to do these from a guide from Bullet
You might also receive questions on the exam in a form similar to this :
 Assume that all mils are hils, some hils are jils, and some tils are rils.

A: all mils are jils
B: some hils are mils
C: all tils are hils
D: some jils are hils
E: some mils are hils

When people first read this type question they usually are like “WTF” . But with a bit of logical reasoning it can be solved . A strategy i learned for this type for this type of question is to use a circle to represent each subject ,and have  two sets of circles that are separate.
One set is hills and mills that are the same.  That is, two circles which are on top of each other.
A jill overlaps a portion of this set but not all of it. In a second set, one circle of tils are particularly covered by rils. Visualizing in this way makes only one answer possible and that answer is D.
The link to that is A guide on how to study for the selective schools test(MHS ,Mac.Rob, Nossal,Cory
That should also answer 8. Hope that answered you questions. If I made any mistakes please feel free to correct me.
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:17 pm »
My answers are pretty much the same as Nova's, with #4 being the main difference:

Wouldn't it be E, because an aircraft is a form of transport, as a newspaper is a form of media? I suppose publishing works in the context as well, but I'm not entirely sure :).
2018-2020: UoM Comm

Asteriskkk

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:36:09 pm »
Its pretty ahrd to visualize venn diagrams

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:14:48 pm »
My answers are pretty much the same as Nova's, with #4 being the main difference:

Wouldn't it be E, because an aircraft is a form of transport, as a newspaper is a form of media? I suppose publishing works in the context as well, but I'm not entirely sure :).
I didn't see that, but that might be the right answer..., looking at the definitions, B is to prepare something for sale, while E "is the main means of mass communication (television, radio, and newspapers) regarded collectively." So that means I was wrong. Thx for pointing that out, Hannibal!
Its pretty ahrd to visualize venn diagrams
I usually keep a piece of paper with me. That's how I use these techniques.
2017 | Psychology

Asteriskkk

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:05:59 pm »
can you draw it out please :)?

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:43 pm »
+2
can you draw it out please :)?
Pretty sure this is how you do it.
2017 | Psychology

Asteriskkk

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »
Any tips on Numerical reasoning?

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 06:23:52 pm »
Practise is key really. Do as many questions as possible so your brain learns to think in patterns.

Try these if you want:
http://www.numericalreasoningtest.org (3 Papers)
http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/numerical-reasoning-tests/ (2 Papers)
http://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/test-area-instructions.asp?testid=13 (1 Paper)
There's also a handful of tests you can purchase from EduTest and other companies, that are structured similarly to the exam. Best of luck :)
2018-2020: UoM Comm