Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 01:40:34 am

Author Topic: General Footy Tipping and Discussion Thread  (Read 265718 times)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: ATAR Notes Footy Tipping and Discussion
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2016, 06:51:35 pm »
Was just wondering, when does our AN comp end? Round 23 or after grand final?

Just asking because Pi is getting closer and closer to what was once my superior margin xD xD. Idk how much more longer I can cope! :(
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2016, 07:12:59 pm »
Was just wondering, when does our AN comp end? Round 23 or after grand final?

Just asking because Pi is getting closer and closer to what was once my superior margin xD xD. Idk how much more longer I can cope! :(

I think it includes finals too (last year it included finals, so assuming it's the same)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2016, 07:15:57 pm »
Haha I don't think I'll get to Rod's margin, I also reckon Phy will make a late charge for the top too

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2016, 12:08:35 pm »
I was trying to explain to somebody this morning the importance to Melbourne fans of North Melbourne v. Sydney this morning. They didn't really understand, but that's okay - I guess it's to be expected. The crux of it is that it's currently late August, and I genuinely care about the results of other games. I mean, sure, it would be preferable if our finals campaign were solely in our hands, but fuck, *we have a finals campaign*.

Tell that to a Sydney supporter, or a Geelong supporter, or a Hawthorn supporter, and they'd probably laugh at the fact that that means so much. But I was genuinely concerned about losing this club forever just three years ago. Before Paul Roos and Peter Jackson walked in the door, the Melbourne Football Club was on track to oblivion. It's now 2016, and we're still (faintly) in the conversation for a finals berth for the first time in a decade.

Since our last final, we've pushed through five Prime Ministers - one of them twice. We've also had seven coaches, with another in the wings for next year. It's been a long, tumultuous time. Ten years of going to the footy knowing all too well that we were going to lose - probably by a lot. Ten years of being the laughing stock of the competition. Ten years of severe ambivalence in September.

I don't expect to make the finals this year, but the fact that we're so close means a lot. On paper, North Melbourne shouldn't win either of its next two games. On paper, we *should* win one and we're a chance in the other. I go to the footy nervous, these days. And it hurts when we lose.

I'll be disappointed but not distraught if North get up today, or if we lose tomorrow. It's almost September, and I couldn't care less about the draft. The only player I could name off the top of my head is McLuggage. Even then, that's only because I imagine him as some sort of walking suitcase. Footy is footy again.

It would be hard for non-Melbourne supporters to know what it's been like the last decade, and how much it means to have hope. I mean, we're not even in the eight, and I'm practically jumping for joy. So thank you, Paul Roos. Thank you, Peter Jackson. Thank you, Nathan Jones. Thank you, Daisy Pearce. Thank you, Simon Goodwin. Thank you, Brendan McCartney. Thank you, Glen Bartlett.

Thank you, Jim Stynes.

And fuck me, get up, Sydney.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2016, 02:43:30 pm »
I think it would be appropriate to remove Sine from the competition? He hasn't tipped in like 5 or 6 weeks and I remember a lot of people being removed early on for not tipping.

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »
I think it would be appropriate to remove Sine from the competition? He hasn't tipped in like 5 or 6 weeks and I remember a lot of people being removed early on for not tipping.

Fair call. I let him rejoin on the condition he would tip each week (even though it's pretty much impossible he can rank anywhere above last place for the rest of the season - inc. finals). Next season i'll look into automatic removal of players who don't tip for 2 weeks in a row or something like that (hopefully some of you have seen that i've been experimenting with a footy tipping system of my own the past couple of months just seeing what it could be like if it was custom..)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:56:44 pm by Aaron »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »
What are y'all on at the moment? I have no idea why I didn't join that competition.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #337 on: August 20, 2016, 03:02:37 pm »
What are y'all on at the moment? I have no idea why I didn't join that competition.

Here you go :)

P.S - If anyone has any suggestions you'd like to see in a potential tipping system for next year, feel free to PM me with your ideas.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »
Here you go :)

P.S - If anyone has any suggestions you'd like to see in a potential tipping system for next year, feel free to PM me with your ideas.
Sounds good! Two weeks is good. Yeah it's just annoying when people just leave the competition and don't tip, next year just automatic removal.

What??? All this time I thought you were ''Pawn'' or whatever, who is he then??!?!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2016, 03:27:42 pm »
Haha not me! I was on 129 before this round, and 130 after last night.

EDIT: Although I'm in three competitions, and in the third I've been one below the other two for most of the season. Which is weird, because I always tip the same across competitions.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »
I fucking hate football and everything about it.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2016, 04:05:30 pm »
I fucking hate football and everything about it.

Bad luck man... that's a rough way to end the season (losing to Carlton). Will be back next year challenging for finals no doubt.

It's still going to be tense for us in the first week of finals - it'll either be vs. the Dogs or GWS.. I don't know which one i'd prefer.

Dogs at MCG or GWS at Spotless Stadium (or ANZ if they decide to go to a bigger venue).

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2016, 04:07:59 pm »
Bad luck man...

You say that, but you must be so happy inside :P

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2016, 04:16:20 pm »
You say that, but you must be so happy inside :P

I am. But the right thing to do is be respectful (even though most of the regulars on here absolutely hate on North). :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:21:48 pm by Aaron »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2016, 05:20:44 pm »
I am. But the right thing to do is be respectful (even though most of the regulars on here absolutely hate on North). :)

Perish the thought! ;)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd