Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 09:29:30 pm

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 73298 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2017, 12:01:37 pm »
+4
Hey just wondering whether anyone has any predictions for the P&H 10-marker plus any other short answer q's that the core section may ask?

Thanks for all the help!
Hey! As always take predictions with a grain of salt, and don't adjust your study pattern based on an uneducated hunch. Ancient is really hard to predict in terms of short answers, just because the syllabus is SO expansive. However, I feel like ethical concerns could maybe come up for the 10 marker :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2017, 02:09:34 pm »
Hey! Looks like you've got a pretty extensive response already :) The big emphasis is that she is connected directly to every single Julio-Claudian Emperor. You've got everything there that I would think to include, if you're concerned about time, it might just be a case of expanding what you have already through detail! Like maybe link how her connection to Germanicus afforded her respect from the Army/Praetorian Guard. You could have mentioned her connection to her brother Gaius as well.
Thanks Susie! :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2017, 01:31:45 pm »
Any predictions for the Agrippina the Younger personality questions (both part a and b)?
Last year they asked
a) Describe Agrippina's marriages
b) How has the image of Agrippina changed over time?

I'm so sad that those won't be our questions  :( last years paper would've been good haha 

2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »
+3
Any predictions for the Agrippina the Younger personality questions (both part a and b)?
Last year they asked
a) Describe Agrippina's marriages
b) How has the image of Agrippina changed over time?

I'm so sad that those won't be our questions  :( last years paper would've been good haha 

Your part B question will be super similar - it hardly ever changes, always on either image/legacy! Part A I feel like maybe one on the basis of her power and influence?

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

HamBurr17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2017, 06:32:05 pm »
Okay I am seriously bad at ancient history exams and I really don't know how to study for the essay (Julio-Claudians).
Anyone have some pointers!? I don't know where to start :/

Thanks!
HSC 2017: English Adv | Society and Culture | Legal Studies | Modern History | Ancient History | Industrial Technology - Multimedia

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2017, 11:12:32 pm »
+5
Okay I am seriously bad at ancient history exams and I really don't know how to study for the essay (Julio-Claudians).
Anyone have some pointers!? I don't know where to start :/

Thanks!

Best way to study for section 4 is to make essay plans. Grab all the essay questions from the past 5 years or so and make an essay plan for each question.

Make sure to include:
- What essay do you want to write? A factors essay? A thematic one? An events essay?
- A sample introduction (with your judgement)
- Your paragraphs. What main topic do you want for each paragraph? Include dot points of all the things you want you say. Make sure to keep relating all your points to your judgement. Do open book so that this part is easier :)
- Sources. Think about all the sources you think are appropriate. As my teacher would say, its best to have all WAMA (Written, archaeological, modern and ancient) sources. Archaeological evidence is definitely the go to. I don't do Julio-Claudians, but there should be some good archaeological evidence that you can use. But if not, there are always the written sources too. Have a mix of modern and ancient writers to beef up your response.
- If possible, try to link all your paragraphs together. You can have this plan within the paragraph plans or have a separate dot point.

Essay plans are meant to be short so this should take around 10-15 mins. This will make you more prepared for the exam. Typically the questions in section 4 are quite flexible.

Although, if possible try writing at least one full from one of your essay plans. Just to have an idea how long it is and see what areas you can improve on.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2017, 11:41:49 pm »
+3
Best way to study for section 4 is to make essay plans. Grab all the essay questions from the past 5 years or so and make an essay plan for each question.

Make sure to include:
- What essay do you want to write? A factors essay? A thematic one? An events essay?
- Your paragraphs. What main topic do you want for each paragraph? Include dot points of all the things you want you say. Make sure to keep relating all your points to your judgement. Do open book so that this part is easier :)
- Sources. Think about all the sources you think are appropriate. As my teacher would say, its best to have all WAMA (Written, archaeological, modern and ancient) sources. Archaeological evidence is definitely the go to. I don't do Julio-Claudians, but there should be some good archaeological evidence that you can use. But if not, there are always the written sources too. Have a mix of modern and ancient writers to beef up your response.
- If possible, try to link all your paragraphs together. You can have this plan within the paragraph plans or have a separate dot point.

Essay plans are meant to be short so this should take around 10-15 mins. This will make you more prepared for the exam. Typically the questions in section 4 are quite flexible.

Although, if possible try writing at least one full from one of your essay plans. Just to have an idea how long it is and see what areas you can improve on.

couldn't have said it better myself! Great work Beatroot!

HamBurr17

• Adventurer
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2017, 12:11:06 pm »
+1

Make sure to include:

Thank you so much!!! I'm going to do this now! :)
HSC 2017: English Adv | Society and Culture | Legal Studies | Modern History | Ancient History | Industrial Technology - Multimedia

KeelzeyMac

• Adventurer
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2017, 01:51:28 pm »
Hello!
I have a question regarding NKE Society to Reign of Amenhotep III- I know it crosses over with my Historical Period component (To Reign of Thutmose VI)- but if we were asked a question specifically on tombs, what would we need to know? Sorry, it's a very vague question :/

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:30 pm »
Is it true that buildings in Herculaneum were mostly double story and in Pompeii were mostly single story, or the other way around?.... I feel like i read that somewhere, or am i wrong are they all different?
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2017, 07:05:15 pm »
+5
Is it true that buildings in Herculaneum were mostly double story and in Pompeii were mostly single story, or the other way around?.... I feel like i read that somewhere, or am i wrong are they all different?

Yes you are correct. Pompeiian houses were one level and Herculanean houses had two levels. This is probably because Pompeii had bigger land (66 hectares), so they were free to have one story houses. Whilst Herculaneum was smaller (12 hectares), so they had to have smaller houses with a second level. Kind of like comparing the apartments in Sydney's CBD and the houses in the west.

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2017, 05:33:42 pm »
+3
This isn't really a question, but I would just like to say thankyou to Susie and everyone else on this thread  ;D ;D, you guys have helped soo much this year, it has been great to go beyond my school and talk to others doing the subject on this forum. 
Best of luck with the rest of your exams!  :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:26 pm »
+4
This isn't really a question, but I would just like to say thankyou to Susie and everyone else on this thread  ;D ;D, you guys have helped soo much this year, it has been great to go beyond my school and talk to others doing the subject on this forum. 
Best of luck with the rest of your exams!  :)

Nawww Maraos <3 It's been so great working with such amazing students this year - particularly in the Ancient History thread :) Yes, we're small, but every single person here has been so dedicated, kind and helpful - I'm sure all of you absolutely smashed it today!

Good luck with the rest of your exams (particularly extension ;) )

Susie

cxtti

• Adventurer
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2017, 09:34:55 pm »
Hi ATARNotes! I was wondering what's the difference between the "Atrium House", "Atrium-Peristyle House" and "Creative Atrium-Peristyle House"

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2017, 10:06:29 pm »
+3
Hi ATARNotes! I was wondering what's the difference between the "Atrium House", "Atrium-Peristyle House" and "Creative Atrium-Peristyle House"
Hey,
Atrium house: Most common type of housing, the focus of the domus was the atrium (it was the first open space entered from the street). The atrium was the social and religious centre of the house and included the larium and was where clients met and paid respect to the patron. In Pompeii the houses were single story while in Herculaneum they had two stories.

Atrium-peristyle house: The peristyle was the centrepiece of a Roman house. In the House of the Vetti, guests would pass from the entrance to the peristyle, which also gave access to the triclinium (dining room-3 couches), and tablinium (study).

Going to admit I didn’t have a lot about this in my notes at all (and don’t have anything on the Creative Atrium-peristyle house) sorry!
Hope this helps  :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]