Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 07:31:57 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 857927 times)  Share 

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1860 on: June 01, 2017, 09:46:32 am »
Hey guys,

I have an oral presentation topic in a week. My topic is "should ebooks be banned and should the use of traditional, hard copy books be implemented? I have to present 3 arguments,  what would be really good argument that will engage my audience.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1861 on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:37 pm »
Hey guys,

I have an oral presentation topic in a week. My topic is "should ebooks be banned and should the use of traditional, hard copy books be implemented? I have to present 3 arguments,  what would be really good argument that will engage my audience.

This is a funny suggestion, but take a look at the 2012 VCAA paper section C. The article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of eBooks!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

xghostariax

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1862 on: June 07, 2017, 07:33:37 pm »
Hey, so I have mid-term exams soon and English is my first exam. Analytical essay for Medea and a language analysis is the task I have to complete for the exam. One of the topics that was explored in my class was about sympathy, such as this prompt, 'It is Jason, not Medea who gains the audience's sympathy. Do you agree?'
Could anyone give a brief explanation on how to break down the prompt and then in paragraphs. My teacher said that I should add a rebuttal for my last third body paragraph but I'm kinda on the fence about it. Any advice??
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:35:59 pm by xghostariax »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1863 on: June 07, 2017, 08:49:54 pm »
+1
Hey, so I have mid-term exams soon and English is my first exam. Analytical essay for Medea and a language analysis is the task I have to complete for the exam. One of the topics that was explored in my class was about sympathy, such as this prompt, 'It is Jason, not Medea who gains the audience's sympathy. Do you agree?'
Could anyone give a brief explanation on how to break down the prompt and then in paragraphs. My teacher said that I should add a rebuttal for my last third body paragraph but I'm kinda on the fence about it. Any advice??
Hi!

So~

'It is Jason, not Medea who gains the audience's sympathy. Do you agree?'

First, it is important that you explore the ways both Jason and Medea gain audience sympathy and the ways they don't. In this way, you'll be better able to reach your own conclusion (ie. work out whether Jason does in fact gain the audiences' sympathy, whether it is Medea who does, or whether it is both).

So in very basic terms, the prompt is saying that Jason obtains all of the audiences' sympathy, while Medea gains none. To develop a sophisticated response to this prompt, you must include a qualifier. For example, While Jason gains audience sympathy, so too does Medea. This is obviously quite simplified, but it challenges the prompt in some way.

Once you have established your evidence and sorted out all your ideas, it will be easier for you to clarify your own ideas and understanding. Sorry about my rushed response (SAC week  :'( ) If you have more questions please feel free to ask!

xghostariax

• Adventurer
« Reply #1864 on: June 08, 2017, 08:38:12 am »
Hi!

So~

'It is Jason, not Medea who gains the audience's sympathy. Do you agree?'

First, it is important that you explore the ways both Jason and Medea gain audience sympathy and the ways they don't. In this way, you'll be better able to reach your own conclusion (ie. work out whether Jason does in fact gain the audiences' sympathy, whether it is Medea who does, or whether it is both).

So in very basic terms, the prompt is saying that Jason obtains all of the audiences' sympathy, while Medea gains none. To develop a sophisticated response to this prompt, you must include a qualifier. For example, While Jason gains audience sympathy, so too does Medea. This is obviously quite simplified, but it challenges the prompt in some way.

Once you have established your evidence and sorted out all your ideas, it will be easier for you to clarify your own ideas and understanding. Sorry about my rushed response (SAC week  :'( ) If you have more questions please feel free to ask!
Ohhh okay, I totally understand where your coming from. Could I alternate between sides with my body paragraphs? How many body paragraphs would suffice in this kind of prompt?
Thank you for your advice by the way, really appreciate it! :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1865 on: June 08, 2017, 08:58:40 am »
+1
Ohhh okay, I totally understand where your coming from. Could I alternate between sides with my body paragraphs? How many body paragraphs would suffice in this kind of prompt?
Thank you for your advice by the way, really appreciate it! :)

No problems!

It's difficult to say exactly how many body paragraphs you need. It really depends on how many ideas you have and what will make your essay flow better.

This prompt does necessitate a fair bit of oscillation, though. So, you may find that you have 2 or 3 body paragraphs that are in opposition to the prompt, given that it is quite narrow. With sympathy in 'Medea,' it typically tends to develop chronologically for characters.

For example:

-Medea scorned/shamed, Chorus and Nurse support
-Speaks with Creon banished, left double exile (worst punishment) again Chorus sympathy
-Agon with Jason (he displays little emotion regarding their former relationship, blunt with her regarding her position)
-Speaks with Aegeus (male voice) offers male perspective, again intending to win over sympathy for audience. (It is really important that you consider structural features of 'Medea.' This was suggested in last years examiner's report. In doing so, you are gaining more of an insight into Euripides choices and the reasons for them. For example, why is the Chorus all women, why does he include Aegeus).
-Medea decides to kill children/manipulates/cunning revealed (perhaps more inclined to sympathise with Jason; especially since it was considered quite normal for a male to have multiple families at this time. Therefore, he may see no flaws in what he is doing).
-Medea suffers a psychological breakdown (may be worthy speaking about her psychomania?)
-Killing Glance, Creon and the kids (descriptions of these deaths and ruining Jason's lineage, how are male audiences supposed to react to this? Lineage very important aspect. Basically a man's life.

Hopefully these ideas help you arrange your body paragraphs in some ways. While it is important to always centre body paragraphs around ideas (ideas in relation to characters, given that this is a character prompt), I don't think order will matter too much with this prompt. I actually think it would flow better if you examined it chronologically, given the way sympathy shifts throughout.

All the best  :)

xghostariax

• Adventurer
« Reply #1866 on: June 08, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »
+1
No problems!

It's difficult to say exactly how many body paragraphs you need. It really depends on how many ideas you have and what will make your essay flow better.

This prompt does necessitate a fair bit of oscillation, though. So, you may find that you have 2 or 3 body paragraphs that are in opposition to the prompt, given that it is quite narrow. With sympathy in 'Medea,' it typically tends to develop chronologically for characters.

For example:

-Medea scorned/shamed, Chorus and Nurse support
-Speaks with Creon banished, left double exile (worst punishment) again Chorus sympathy
-Agon with Jason (he displays little emotion regarding their former relationship, blunt with her regarding her position)
-Speaks with Aegeus (male voice) offers male perspective, again intending to win over sympathy for audience. (It is really important that you consider structural features of 'Medea.' This was suggested in last years examiner's report. In doing so, you are gaining more of an insight into Euripides choices and the reasons for them. For example, why is the Chorus all women, why does he include Aegeus).
-Medea decides to kill children/manipulates/cunning revealed (perhaps more inclined to sympathise with Jason; especially since it was considered quite normal for a male to have multiple families at this time. Therefore, he may see no flaws in what he is doing).
-Medea suffers a psychological breakdown (may be worthy speaking about her psychomania?)
-Killing Glance, Creon and the kids (descriptions of these deaths and ruining Jason's lineage, how are male audiences supposed to react to this? Lineage very important aspect. Basically a man's life.

Hopefully these ideas help you arrange your body paragraphs in some ways. While it is important to always centre body paragraphs around ideas (ideas in relation to characters, given that this is a character prompt), I don't think order will matter too much with this prompt. I actually think it would flow better if you examined it chronologically, given the way sympathy shifts throughout.

All the best  :)
Great!! Thank you so much!! You've just given more ideas to discuss in my essay!
I've also decided to do another essay but with a different prompt. The prompt that i will be doing is, 'Are Medea's actions justifiable? Discuss.'
What are some pointers to consider in this topic, are her actions unjustified? if so, why?
Thanks again for help!! :) :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:00:05 pm by xghostariax »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1867 on: June 08, 2017, 03:30:00 pm »
Great!! Thank you so much!! You've just given more ideas to discuss in my essay!
I've also decided to do another essay but with a different prompt. The prompt that i will be doing is, 'Are Medea's actions justifiable? Discuss.'
What are some pointers to consider in this topic, are her actions unjustified? if so, why?
Thanks again for help!! :) :)

Well, the questions you have just asked are exactly what the prompt is asking. I think it is important that you gather up your own ideas and evidence first and come to your own conclusion/interpretation. While my ideas may be helpful to you, you are the one who must ultimately come up with your own interpretation. Only then will your essay be really strong and better still, you will be able to respond to a wider range of prompts.

If you can develop your own contention and body paragraph ideas, I will definitely be able to help you out! :)

xghostariax

• Adventurer
« Reply #1868 on: June 08, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »
Well, the questions you have just asked are exactly what the prompt is asking. I think it is important that you gather up your own ideas and evidence first and come to your own conclusion/interpretation. While my ideas may be helpful to you, you are the one who must ultimately come up with your own interpretation. Only then will your essay be really strong and better still, you will be able to respond to a wider range of prompts.

If you can develop your own contention and body paragraph ideas, I will definitely be able to help you out! :)
I've actually just finished up writing the essay on that prompt, care to take a look? :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1869 on: June 08, 2017, 04:02:24 pm »
I've actually just finished up writing the essay on that prompt, care to take a look? :)

Fantastic! Yeah, I'll be happy to look over it for you :)

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1870 on: June 11, 2017, 12:09:28 pm »
Internal monologue structure and example??

beverlycheeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #1871 on: June 11, 2017, 01:20:45 pm »
I've pointed out areas where you can cut down above. Take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm in year 12 this year. Also, I realised my comments seem a bit negative, since I just pointed out flaws and places where you need to cut down, but I'd say that you have a good grasp of how language positions the reader and the main arguments of each piece. So, good job and keep up the good work.  :)

gah this is so long ago but thank you so much :)))

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #1872 on: June 11, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »
+2
Does anyone know where I can find articles and corresponding high language analysis essays?
Future engineer

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1873 on: June 11, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
+2
Does anyone know where I can find articles and corresponding high language analysis essays?

Hey!

I'd suggest that you read through some past examiner's report on the VCAA website: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/studies/english/englishexams.aspx
Here, examiners make note of what differentiates high/medium/low range responses by providing examples (note that not every year provides full essays, but shows only sections).

Another good place to find high-scoring essays is right here on AN. Take a look at this page where sample essays have been compiled: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=8375.0

Hope this helps!

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1874 on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:10 pm »
Hello everyone!!!

I'm currently ranked 2 in English with only 3 marks between me and rank 1. For GA1 I achieved an overall score of 80/100. I was wondering if I get A+'s on the other outcomes what SS would I be looking at?