Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:50:49 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3622781 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #5775 on: August 21, 2015, 11:23:35 pm »
+3
Oh so according to Mr T rav then krebs cycle is also anaerobic as oxygen is not used? Im confused.. :/

It is in and of itself anaerobic, but when you discuss them in VCE, consider Krebs a part of aerobic respiration.

It's more a functional definition in this case. Glycolysis can be used as an alternative to aerobic respiration, whereas Krebs cannot. So functionally, Krebs is part of aerobic respiration.

Yes, it's horribly confusing.

Anaerobic: glycolysis
Aerobic: Krebs, ETC
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #5776 on: August 22, 2015, 07:23:30 am »
It is in and of itself anaerobic, but when you discuss them in VCE, consider Krebs a part of aerobic respiration.

It's more a functional definition in this case. Glycolysis can be used as an alternative to aerobic respiration, whereas Krebs cannot. So functionally, Krebs is part of aerobic respiration.

Yes, it's horribly confusing.

Anaerobic: glycolysis
Aerobic: Krebs, ETC

So if a question asks us to list the stages in aerobic respiration and describe them, would you exclude glycolysis?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #5777 on: August 22, 2015, 10:09:38 am »
How do people know their ranking in the cohort

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #5778 on: August 22, 2015, 11:01:30 am »
How do people know their ranking in the cohort
Ask your teacher I'd say.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #5779 on: August 22, 2015, 12:41:38 pm »
So if a question asks us to list the stages in aerobic respiration and describe them, would you exclude glycolysis?

Hmmm I'd say so

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5780 on: August 22, 2015, 02:49:57 pm »
Ask your teacher I'd say.
Didn't know they are allowed to tell people

BakedDwarf

« Reply #5781 on: August 22, 2015, 03:47:36 pm »
Are we required to know how secondary structures, such as alpha helices, beta-pleaded sheets etc, are important in the function of a protein?

The question below was form VCAA 2006 exam 1 and i honestly had no idea how to answer it until I saw the assessment report.

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5782 on: August 22, 2015, 04:06:02 pm »
Are we required to know how secondary structures, such as alpha helices, beta-pleaded sheets etc, are important in the function of a protein?

The question below was form VCAA 2006 exam 1 and i honestly had no idea how to answer it until I saw the assessment report.
Just recently did this question. I wrote that it determines the active site of the enzyme

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5783 on: August 24, 2015, 10:40:34 pm »
So this is from the FAQ's from VCAA
Quote from: VCAA
Question: Do I need to teach about action potentials in nerve pathways? What about the interference of nerve messages by drugs and toxins?
Answer: Details related to the mechanism of the transmission of an action potential through an axon in terms of specific ionic changes are not required. Students are expected to understand the roles of the nerve pathway, neurotransmitters and chemical signals in the transmission of information. Mechanisms of action such as the mechanism of polarisation, depolarisation, repolarisation, hyperpolarisation and resting potential in terms of ion movement are not required, nor are details related to the mechanism of interference of nerve messages by drugs and toxins. However, students are expected to understand in general terms that there are some membrane proteins that allow the passage of ions that would ordinarily be stopped by the lipid bilayer of the membrane, and that electrical transmission through an axon is facilitated by Na+/K+ pumps on the membrane. They are also expected to know that Ca2+ ions are involved in neurotransmitter release into a synapse, with further details not required. Students are expected to recognise that nerve transmission is an ‘all-or-nothing’ response, that electrical transmission occurs through the axon, that there is a ‘refractory’ or ‘resting’ period during which the neuron does not respond to incoming stimuli, and that the impulse is transmitted across a synapse to another neuron via neurotransmitters. Students are expected to understand that different proteins serve as receptors for different neurotransmitters; specific names of neurotransmitters are not required.

What exactly are we meant to know about the Na+/K+ pump and Ca2+ions? Is it just knowing that they are present or do we need a greater understanding?

Also saw somewhere that knowledge on plant hormones are no longer necessary, can someone confirm this?

Can someone explain Cofactor vs Coenzyme.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:11:58 pm by Sine »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #5784 on: August 24, 2015, 11:04:37 pm »
+1
So this is from the FAQ's from VCAAWhat exactly are we meant to know about the Na+/K+ pump and Ca2+ions? Is it just knowing that they are present or do we need a greater understanding?

Also saw somewhere that knowledge on plant hormones are no longer necessary, can someone confirm this?

It's all there. You just need to know that the pump and calcium ions allow it to happen, nothing else.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5785 on: August 24, 2015, 11:12:45 pm »
Do we need to know what ions come in and what go out of the axon during an action potential? Also, so key terms like depolarisation, repolarisation etc are not needed, right?

Also, do we need to know about the myelin sheath, i.e. it's function and location?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5786 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:38 pm »
Can someone explain Cofactor vs Coenzyme

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5787 on: August 24, 2015, 11:15:51 pm »
+1
Can someone explain Cofactor vs Coenzyme

A cofactor is any inorganic substance, such as an ion, that assists an enzyme in it's function, whereas a coenzyme is any substance, but is organic, and activates the enzyme, hence allowing it to function.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5788 on: August 24, 2015, 11:25:41 pm »
A cofactor is any inorganic substance, such as an ion, that assists an enzyme in it's function, whereas a coenzyme is any substance, but is organic, and activates the enzyme, hence allowing it to function.
Cheers :D
Is one a subset of the other.
My Biology Dictionary says that a cofactor includes prosthetic groups and coenzymes.
If a coenzyme is a cofactor how is one organic and the other inorganic.
What level of detail are we required?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #5789 on: August 24, 2015, 11:50:21 pm »
Cheers :D
Is one a subset of the other.
My Biology Dictionary says that a cofactor includes prosthetic groups and coenzymes.
If a coenzyme is a cofactor how is one organic and the other inorganic.
What level of detail are we required?

Coenzyme-Organic
Cofactor-inorganic

They do almost precisely the same thing