Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:28:33 am

Author Topic: Paper 1 Discussion/Suggested Solutions  (Read 45291 times)

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
Re: Paper 1 Discussion/Suggested Solutions
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2017, 05:40:18 pm »
Lol. Reading some of the approaches taken to the essay have highlighted all the missed opportunities and faults in my own. I think I actually ended up contradicting myself at times.

Whoops.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2017, 06:08:52 pm »
I do Wrack as well and an Iranian film as a related and for the essay I went along the lines of

Body Paragraph 1: something along the lines of = one's curiosity and wonder is influenced by the culturally-hegemonic beliefs of their society which tailor the motivations and outcomes of their discoveries
- I talk about the role of cultural consensus in dictating what curiosity is permissible / allowed to prosper
- How individual's tailor their language to culturally-hegemonic beliefs to make their wonder/curiosity more palatable

Body Paragraph 2: something along the lines of = discoveries motivated by personal necessity accompany a significant degree of personal meaning which can translate into an individual's inability to take on new perspectives and undergo transformation
- I talked about how both of my texts are Post Modern and influenced by nihilism, as seen in the characterisation of their Protagonists
- I offered examples of scenes where the protagonists had deeply invested in their personal necessity to discover and that they were unwilling to take on new perspectives, offering examples of interactions with children which are the superlative definition of imagination and thus how this contrasted with their worldview which was narrowed and less romantic

Body Paragraph 3: (this was really short, the others had been really long) Both composers agree that the process of discovery is more significant than one's cathartic, desired outcome
- with this point I was pretty much talking about how the transformative properties of discovery live on in audience interpretation
- I talked about the end of both texts which are inherently self-reflexive

I felt like I rushed it and my expression wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be. I am also worried about legibility and my introduction was not the perfect structure I usually used as I had to adapt it, but I am trying to leave it in the past now and focus on tomorrow. Section I and Section II were fine I think, I did the first extract for my creative and mentioned snippets throughout, then the whole phrase was integrated into my protagonist's speech.

OMG ANOTHER WRACK?!? Do you mind if I ask what school you went two (i only know of my own and one other that study it, so I'm always very excited to hear another person does it!!)

Your essay sounds fantastic! Love that you were talking about hegemonic power, and made explicit reference to audience effect
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

johnk21

• Trailblazer
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »
Is it ok to say that 'need' isnt that important, whereas both composers provoke a sense of 'curiosity' and 'wonder' to provoke the audiences transformation? My prescribed text was Short History of Nearly Everything, and whilst its great for curiosity and wonder, there isn't much of need.
I did A short history as well, and i agree with you, the need wasnt really shown in the core text, however i linked it to my related text. So i basically split it up into curiosity and wonder for core and need for related. Did you completely ignore the need part of the question? or maybe specifically said that perhaps discovery via means of need cannot be transformative??
Good luck tommorow :)

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2017, 06:41:23 pm »
Wait would the short lines in the poem count as truncated sentences 😂😂

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »
Just want to say congratulations guys! A tough exam (which admittedly when I grabbed it I thought was okay based on a 30 second glance, reading it properly, ergh...), you have all done so well. Good luck for Paper 2!

Any last minute questions, happy to help! Just go to the Advanced or Standard Q+A's ;D

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2017, 07:00:26 pm »
For the poem, I said the technique was accumulative listing, but now I'm not so sure that technique matches the poem... would I lose marks over writing that?

ilovethehsc

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:09 pm »
How screwed am I if I didn't explicitly answer the question? I addressed every part of the statement, however I forgot to explicitly state how accurate the statement reflects the discovery process.

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
What texts for the last reading question did you guys choose? I chose Texts 2 and 3.

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:05 pm »
What texts for the last reading question did you guys choose? I chose Texts 2 and 3.

Annie657

• Forum Regular
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »

Yeah me too, I don't know anyone who chose the mango one! I couldn't really get much out of it.
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »
Yeah me too, I don't know anyone who chose the mango one! I couldn't really get much out of it.

I chose the mango one and said like unexpected taste of the mango and unexpected discovery that it is his birthday, wasn't sure how text 2 was unexpected so I picked text 1!

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2017, 11:30:34 pm »

Lol. Reading some of the approaches taken to the essay have highlighted all the missed opportunities and faults in my own. I think I actually ended up contradicting myself at times.

Whoops.

Same!!!!

But the markers understand that, and as along as your conclusion affirms what you said in the body paragraphs (considering your intro is diff.). Then you won’t lost a significant amount of marks :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2017, 11:33:00 pm »
Yeah I chose the mango one and talked about the unexpected discovery of the taste of mango and it’s impact (new experiences as meaningful ) through the poem’s  structure. Then I did text three (didn’t even know what the heck it was about) and talked about the unexpected discovery of the place and being meaningful as it provides a continual process of renewing perceptions
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD