Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:40:03 pm

Author Topic: Help with Subject Selections  (Read 2009 times)  Share 

jesseprior

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Help with Subject Selections
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been super unsure and have been constantly changing my mind as to what subjects I want to do for Year 12 next year, here are my current subjects:
Unit 1/2 Chemistry
Unit 1/2 Biology
Unit 1/2 English Language
Unit 1/2 General Maths
Unit 1/2 Legal Studies
Unit 1/2 History

My favourite subject has been Legal, and another must is English Language as I prefer it much more over English, but for the other 4 I am unsure of. As for Biology, I had not put much time in it as I was mainly focussing on my other Science (chem), but I enjoyed particular topics from it, specifically the Genetics section (Unit 2 Stuff), however the plant/photo-synthesis and celluar respiration stuff was brain numbing, so since Biology is such a diverse subjects, I feel like I could be intrigued at one point but bored at another, and don't want to risk a low study score as a result. Chemistry has been very challenging, particularly with the teacher that I have who is very bland, unapproachable and old-fashied, I have heard before that Year 11 Chem is harder then Year 12 Chem and besides, I am pretty sure the teacher for Year 12 Chem will be much better. History has been good, I averaged a A in Unit 1, however like Biology, it can be boring at points, for me this year it was with the Cold War stuff. I have never been a fan of maths, never really done well in it and just dont enjoy it, however this year I have been doing really well in it despite all that, I averaged a B in Unit 1 (Not a A mainly due to a shocker exam that brought down my overall), it is a pre-resquite for the course i'm looking into, so I sort of have to keep it, however I know that I hate the subject and I feel it's going to be alot more challenging next year in comparison to this year.

I have made a draft subject selection, and I would love for anyone who is currently studying these units to give me their honest opinions on how they have found the subjects, with content load, work load and all the rest.

Unit 3/4 Legal Studies
Unit 3/4 English Language
Unit 3/4 Further Mathematics
Unit 3/4 History: Revolutions
Unit 3/4 Health & Human Development (Haven't done the 1/2)

These are also other subjects I was considering for the selection, so if someone has thoughts on those, feel free to share:
Unit 3/4 Business Managment (No 1/2)
Unit 3/4 Chemistry
Unit 3/4 Biology
Unit 3/4 Psychology (No 1/2)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Elsa//768

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +16
Re: Help with Subject Selections
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:28:51 pm »
Hi,
I am currently studying Revolutions and Bio 3/4 as a yr11 student ;D
So firstly, Revolutions. Just like you, I averaged A for both units last year. That being said, the contents covered in Revolutions are drastically different from Unit1 and 2, and the amount of workload increases EXPONENTIALLY (at least for me)... BUT, if you are interested in the content, then there won't be too many problems. So, I'd suggest checking out the study design first!
Secondly, Bio. I absolutely LOVE Bio. And yes, it involves a heck load of memorising so the same rule applies--- go check out the study design to see if the knowledge interests you. As you've mentioned, the whole photosynthesis and cellular respiration can be a bit boring, but it does come up again in Unit 3 (which is where most of the sciency stuff comes in). That being said, you may find Unit 4 interesting bc it's abt evolution and gene techniques...
In conclusion, both Revs and Bio can be very demanding subjects, but if you are passionate abt what you're learning, you will be fine!
Hope this helps  ;D
2018: Revolutions (46); Biology (47)
2019: EAL (46); Methods (47 ); Psychology (49 ); Legal Studies ( 39)
ATAR: 99.65
Possibly offering tutoring for 2020!
After all, tomorrow is another day.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:46:32 am »
+1
In my opinion, when selecting subjects, you should have certain things in mind.
1) Your wants
2) Your needs

I can say with absolute confidence that you will do better and enjoy life more if you choose subjects you actually want to do.
If you have had a look at the HHD study design and textbook and it struck a chord with you, pick it up by all means. 1/2s mean nothing, especially in humanities subjects.
Same with history and legal studies. Definitely keep them if you enjoy them.

But what I want to touch on especially are your needs. You said you need further math for your desired course. That means you should definitely keep it. Side note: about 95% of the kids doing Further at my school love it. I've heard it's really good.
What about back up options?
Make sure you consider prerequisites for your back ups too.
For example, most science courses will require either methods or a science (perhaps both). Not doing a science may put you at a disadvantage if you end up doing another degree you haven't quite considered yet.

Also, by the way, I don't know who you heard it from but Y12 chemistry is much harder than Y11. Honestly all 3/4s are harder than 3/4s, but are also much more satisfying and interesting.

Good luck with your decision but remember that what you want is first, but you should carefully think about what you need (including what you may need if worst comes to worse)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

jesseprior

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »
Hi,
I am currently studying Revolutions and Bio 3/4 as a yr11 student ;D
So firstly, Revolutions. Just like you, I averaged A for both units last year. That being said, the contents covered in Revolutions are drastically different from Unit1 and 2, and the amount of workload increases EXPONENTIALLY (at least for me)... BUT, if you are interested in the content, then there won't be too many problems. So, I'd suggest checking out the study design first!
Which revolutions do you study and are there ones that are better/more interesting than others? I'm pretty sure my school does America and Russia.

Make sure you consider prerequisites for your back ups too.
For example, most science courses will require either methods or a science (perhaps both). Not doing a science may put you at a disadvantage if you end up doing another degree you haven't quite considered yet.
This is a good point, I haven't really thought about my back up course at all, right now I am pretty sure I want to study a Bachelor of Laws or I am leaning more towards a double bachelor of Biomedical Science/Laws, however I wont be doing a science in year 12 at this point as it isn't a pre-req for some uni's, but will I be at a disadvantage and struggling with Biomed at a uni level? Then again I wouldn't want to do a 3/4 science for the purpose of 'just incase', then hating it and scoring poorly in it, bringing down my atar.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:41:08 pm by jesseprior »

Elsa//768

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:13:01 pm »
Our school teaches Russia and China. They are both pretty interesting :D The Russian one is a bit clearer tho since it's basically two revolutions in 1917 whereas for China there r quite a number of smaller events.
2018: Revolutions (46); Biology (47)
2019: EAL (46); Methods (47 ); Psychology (49 ); Legal Studies ( 39)
ATAR: 99.65
Possibly offering tutoring for 2020!
After all, tomorrow is another day.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:21:02 pm »
+2
This is a good point, I haven't really thought about my back up course at all, right now I am pretty sure I want to study a Bachelor of Laws or I am leaning more towards a double bachelor of Biomedical Science/Laws, however I wont be doing a science in year 12 at this point as it isn't a pre-req for some uni's, but will I be at a disadvantage and struggling with Biomed at a uni level? Then again I wouldn't want to do a 3/4 science for the purpose of 'just incase', then hating it and scoring poorly in it, bringing down my atar.

I'll break this up into three questions.

Will you be able to get in?
Looking at your preference - Bachelor of Laws/Biomedicine, it seems to differ widely by what university you're going for.

At Monash, you will definitely not qualify for entry. It requires a 25 in Methods as well as in Chemistry. Also, Monash is very competitive. Just the Bachelor of Laws has only English as a prerequisite though, so you're good there.

At Deakin no subject prerequisites are required. As far as I can see it goes off the ATAR and inclusive entry schemes.

ACU requires a 25 in any math for admission into biomedicine.

Overall, you've got some options if that's definitely what you want to do - moreso at Deakin, for example, than Monash.

Will you struggle?
My instinct is to say "yes". I feel quite strongly, as you might have seen in my previous post, that "1/2s are nothing". The difference between Year 11 and Year 12 science subjects is immense. That is enough of a jump, and yet you are trying to study tertiary-level science for three years. There's much to be said for the skills you develop in VCE, especially with math.
However, I am also not that much of a pessimist. With (lots) of work to bring yourself to standard with your cohort, you can study anything you want. Will you struggle? I still think you would. But after a while, like with anything, you will get used to it. You'll catch up, you'll learn skills. But, it is a question of whether you can commit yourself to that! Leading to the next part...

Should you take the subjects?
If you are not taking science or math subjects (bar Further), my question is then: why?
If the answer is "because I'm not good at them", "because I don't like them" or "because I'd rather be doing X", I'd very curious as to why biomedicine would be on your radar at all. Especially since you're concerned about "scoring poorly".  I mean, it's three of studying just that - science and math. That, I think, is cause for reevaluation: either of your aspirations for post-secondary study, or of what subjects you'd want to take.
If that's not the case, then you need only be aware that you might be in for a hard slog for a little while. But that's it - you can do anything you like!
For example, I'm definitely interested in studying medicine and medical sciences (biology, chemistry etc.) but I did not take biology during VCE. My reasoning, though, was not because I disliked or was bad at biology - that would set alarm bells off saying that medicine isn't a good choice. Instead, it was partly because I didn't have room/time (i.e. I already have 8 subjects) and because I was looking to boost my ATAR (therefore repeating a subject, rather than study a new one). To make up for that loss during VCE, I actually attended 3/4 biology classes during Year 11 without actually taking the subject, so I could learn. Monash also offers a six-week bridging course for biology, which I will take. Those are the kind of measures you should consider if you decide not to study a 'recommended' subject in VCE :)
If your reasons are similar, then I totally understand!

What is your decision?
If you are fine with having a few restrictions (e.g. ACU and Deakin), then maybe you shouldn't bother. If you are wanting to get into Monash etc., then you might consider them.
If you are focusing on Law, and not so much on biomed, that's also reason not to bother. If you really do think you'd like to do Biomed, perhaps you ought to actually study science at school first.

In the end, I really do think it comes down to your needs and wants! If you want is to study Laws/Biomed, science is a "need" in my opinion. If you need to not study science, then perhaps you don't "want" to study biomed. It's getting these things worked out that will help make subject selection easier!
Not an easy decision, huh! Good luck :)

♡ Subjects ♡
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]

jesseprior

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:08:33 pm »
Will you be able to get in?
Looking at your preference - Bachelor of Laws/Biomedicine, it seems to differ widely by what university you're going for.

At Monash, you will definitely not qualify for entry. It requires a 25 in Methods as well as in Chemistry. Also, Monash is very competitive. Just the Bachelor of Laws has only English as a prerequisite though, so you're good there.

At Deakin no subject prerequisites are required. As far as I can see it goes off the ATAR and inclusive entry schemes.

ACU requires a 25 in any math for admission into biomedicine.

Overall, you've got some options if that's definitely what you want to do - moreso at Deakin, for example, than Monash.

I have not even considred Monash University as a option from the get-go because of, as you said, the competitiveness and difficulty of entry, especially with the >94 ATAR. My main interest has been ACU, it only needs a 25 in any maths so that's why I said further from the start, however in doing this I don't really have a backup, there is Deakin but that is a Science double bachelor, I am more interested in the Human Biology side of things.

Will you struggle?
My instinct is to say "yes". I feel quite strongly, as you might have seen in my previous post, that "1/2s are nothing". The difference between Year 11 and Year 12 science subjects is immense. That is enough of a jump, and yet you are trying to study tertiary-level science for three years. There's much to be said for the skills you develop in VCE, especially with math.
However, I am also not that much of a pessimist. With (lots) of work to bring yourself to standard with your cohort, you can study anything you want. Will you struggle? I still think you would. But after a while, like with anything, you will get used to it. You'll catch up, you'll learn skills. But, it is a question of whether you can commit yourself to that! Leading to the next part...

Tertiary-level science for 5 years*. Doesn't help my case I know. In terms of math skill development, I am unsure how maths centered Biomedical Science is, because, atleast at ACU, there is only one maths unit which is Numerical reasoning, which I am sure I could manage. I have obviously taken science for 5 years of my high schooling, with two in my Year 11, and mostly enjoyed them when I applied myself, particularly Biology, I have also enjoyed Chemistry but due to school/teacher circumstances I am not performing too well, and I would prefer to (hopefully) breeze a more relaxed subject like HHD to remian my sanity.

Should you take the subjects?
If you are not taking science or math subjects (bar Further), my question is then: why?
If the answer is "because I'm not good at them", "because I don't like them" or "because I'd rather be doing X", I'd very curious as to why biomedicine would be on your radar at all. Especially since you're concerned about "scoring poorly".  I mean, it's three of studying just that - science and math. That, I think, is cause for reevaluation: either of your aspirations for post-secondary study, or of what subjects you'd want to take.
If that's not the case, then you need only be aware that you might be in for a hard slog for a little while. But that's it - you can do anything you like!
For example, I'm definitely interested in studying medicine and medical sciences (biology, chemistry etc.) but I did not take biology during VCE. My reasoning, though, was not because I disliked or was bad at biology - that would set alarm bells off saying that medicine isn't a good choice. Instead, it was partly because I didn't have room/time (i.e. I already have 8 subjects) and because I was looking to boost my ATAR (therefore repeating a subject, rather than study a new one). To make up for that loss during VCE, I actually attended 3/4 biology classes during Year 11 without actually taking the subject, so I could learn. Monash also offers a six-week bridging course for biology, which I will take. Those are the kind of measures you should consider if you decide not to study a 'recommended' subject in VCE :)
If your reasons are similar, then I totally understand!

Biomedical science is on my radar because, I am genuinely interested in human anatomy and disease, how we can stop it, prevent it, how the human anatomy operates etc. I am not so interested in actual Chemistry theory that is unrelated to these topics (which is the whole chemistry study design) and Biology content that invovles photosynthesis and food-chains, and other unrelated content. I like where chemistry and biology can cross over in a human context, but I don't like the stand alone subjects so much, hence why I have said I really liked the Genetics unit of Biology (which is actually what I am doing now in bio), because that's one of my interests. I also love Law, so where do these two meet? The course I am looking at. This sort of course would get me into the health-related law sector, and all the rest.

Side note: how are you studying 8 VCE subjects?

What is your decision?
If you are fine with having a few restrictions (e.g. ACU and Deakin), then maybe you shouldn't bother. If you are wanting to get into Monash etc., then you might consider them.
If you are focusing on Law, and not so much on biomed, that's also reason not to bother. If you really do think you'd like to do Biomed, perhaps you ought to actually study science at school first.

In the end, I really do think it comes down to your needs and wants! If you want is to study Laws/Biomed, science is a "need" in my opinion. If you need to not study science, then perhaps you don't "want" to study biomed. It's getting these things worked out that will help make subject selection easier!
Not an easy decision, huh! Good luck :)

What exactly do you mean by a few 'restrictions'? Also no, I am not interested in Monash really. When you say that in your opinion 3/4 science is a need for biomed tertiary study, do you mean both Bio/Chem or just any 3/4 science would be just for me to get the basic skills to take to tertiary study? Biology could still be a big possibility for myself next year, especially if I am not doing Chemistry, because this year I found alot of my science energy was going towards focusing on Chemistry, thus my scores in Bio were slightly deteriorating as a result.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 04:17:26 pm »
+3
I'll skip a lot of the discussion here, since Sarangiya seems to have you going there, but I'll input the suggestion of Law/Science at an institute where you can pick your major. This also allows you to try for La Trobe Uni too, which needs English (or equivalent) + any U3/4 Maths. La Trobe offers biochem, genetics, molecular bio, microbio and nanotech - all aspects of human health, disorders/ disease and its treatment. Note that this is merely a suggestion and I'm only leaving additional options out here for you.
I will also mention the option of bridging courses that you can use to fill in certain prerequisites, but you'd have to do the research on what's available and where. This is dependent on you completing all, if not, most of the other prereqs. on top of your personal research for pathways to your desired  course(s).   
As for Biology, I had not put much time in it as I was mainly focussing on my other Science (chem), but I enjoyed particular topics from it, specifically the Genetics section (Unit 2 Stuff), however the plant/photo-synthesis and celluar respiration stuff was brain numbing, so since Biology is such a diverse subjects, I feel like I could be intrigued at one point but bored at another, and don't want to risk a low study score as a result. Chemistry has been very challenging, particularly with the teacher that I have who is very bland, unapproachable and old-fashied, I have heard before that Year 11 Chem is harder then Year 12 Chem and besides, I am pretty sure the teacher for Year 12 Chem will be much better.
As a genetics extended major, it makes my day to hear someone really enjoys genetics. Also, pretty darn sure U3/4 Bio also includes immunology, which is definitely more about human biology, but check the study design to be sure. (I didn't do VCE Bio.) As for Chem, I did atrociously in SACs and exams. Still did reasonably well enough. I had fluctuating marks and, even just passes. Fast forward a few years, I now have a minor in chemistry at uni level. I would not rely on the teachers staying the same though. 
What about back up options? Make sure you consider prerequisites for your back ups too.
This is pretty darn important. Sarangiya is right. I won't discuss my opinions on subject selection as I'm quite biased. I feel this is something you need to discuss with several people:
1. your VCE coordinator
2. your careers teacher
3. your parents/guardians (albeit maybe a few biases)
Reason is so you can get three different perspectives. Also, as mentioned, check the study designs.   

Hope that helps! Apologies if I sound at all impolite, it wasn't my intention. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:44 pm »
Sorry for the late reply.
It looks like you've had some awesome advice from AngelWings.
Since it looks like you're passionate and determined to do Law/Biomedicine, your next step probably just to prepare yourself.

What exactly do you mean by a few 'restrictions'? Also no, I am not interested in Monash really. When you say that in your opinion 3/4 science is a need for biomed tertiary study, do you mean both Bio/Chem or just any 3/4 science would be just for me to get the basic skills to take to tertiary study? Biology could still be a big possibility for myself next year, especially if I am not doing Chemistry, because this year I found alot of my science energy was going towards focusing on Chemistry, thus my scores in Bio were slightly deteriorating as a result.
By restrictions I mean in terms of universities. But since it looks like you're set on which universities you'd like to go to, it might not be much of a problem.

I think the skills and knowledge you would gain are definitely useful. It's up to you if you want to take those subjects though - especially if you don't really need them. The alternative, of course, is just preparing a little bit more than other who might have taken 3/4 sciences.

Side note: how are you studying 8 VCE subjects?
Long story but essentially I just started early.

From what I can tell, you seem pretty convinced in your choice of subjects, which probably means you've made the right decision.
Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

♡ Subjects ♡