Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:39:56 am

Author Topic: subjects without 1/2  (Read 1670 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
subjects without 1/2
« on: June 22, 2019, 03:03:51 pm »
hey every1

can I get suggestions for 3/4 subjects next year (yr12) without units 1/2?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: subjects without 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 03:14:29 pm »
+4
hey every1

These are what 'most' people pick up

- Psychology
- Business Management
- Food Studies
- Geography
- Biology ( recommended you study  Unit 1 if planning to do 3/4 without 1/2  )
- Legal Studies ( this is definitely doable if you have an interest in this subject0
- Further Maths
- Health and Human Development
- Physical Education
- Outdoor and Environmental Studies

That's all I can think of at the top of my head, subjects like media, art, studio arts, etc I've heard you can pick up 3/4 without 1/2 but I'm not 100% sure. . .

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:27:40 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 03:21:26 pm »
+3
hey every1

From what I know Ionic Doc's list is pretty good in terms of showing subjects where 3&4 doesn't lean on 1&2 content much
Might be slightly controversial but I'd also add eng lang to that list (make sure you study the metalanguage if you do this.)

The more important thing over how "easy" a subject is, is how interested you are and if it contributes to prereqs you (may) need so definitely take those into account too :)

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:36:49 pm »
That's a nice list! Appreciate it!! This may sound subjective, but would you recommend any specific subjects?

I've always liked eng lang but my school doesn't offer it.

Just in case you want to know the subjects I'm doing;
English mainstream
further maths (3/4)
maths methods
physics
chemistry
so I'm one subject low

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:10:05 pm »
+2
Where do your interests/strengths lie, and what are any courses you are interested in? That would definitely help make the decision easier. From your subjects I can assume you are leaning more towards the maths/science side, so the question is do you want maybe a break from those subjects? Personally having a nice balance between my subjects has worked out really well since I can always switch between subjects, and get a break from one and not feel all the material is getting quite tedious. I would only be able to speak for the subjects I have done without 1/2, which are Geography, Psychology and Revolutions, which I can affirm were all great to get stuck into without having done the 1/2. What are you drawn to at the moment? It's quite difficult to recommend one since it is very subjective.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 07:03:59 pm »
+1
Another 3/4 that you can do without the 1/2 is Global Politics. Hope you find something great!  :D

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 07:32:01 pm »
+1
totally agree mango. I'm interested in getting into medicine, which requires Chemistry and English. How was psychology?

Thank you for recommending Laura! Have you done global politics 3/4? how'd you find it

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 07:41:13 pm »
+1
totally agree mango. I'm interested in getting into medicine, which requires Chemistry and English. How was psychology?

Thank you for recommending Laura! Have you done global politics 3/4? how'd you find it

No, I personally haven't however the teacher at my school recommended it as a good 3/4 to pick up without the 1/2 which is something that I plan to do. My friend is doing it this year and absolutely loving it. Her school doesn't even offer the 1/2 as they don't see it as necessary. She loves her humanities subjects (and isn't doing any STEM at all for VCE), but says global is her favourite.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 07:48:26 pm »
+2

not mango but I currently do 3/4 Psychology
 I have also not done the 1/2 units for it and have found it to be little to no disadvantage at all!
The only thing that really continues from 1/2 is Research Methods, nothing hard to learn, fairly straight forward and basic . . . however, research methods are extremely important to get your head around as they are in pretty much in all your SACS throughout the year and make a good portion of the exam.

Overall Psych's a really great subject. IMO everything we learn is interesting and relatable so most of the contents is easier to grasp compared to other subjects.
I recommend you check out the study design for the subjects you're interested in taking up next year
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 09:47:32 pm »
+2

I could not recommend Psychology enough. It was an amazing, rewarding subject which was so so fascinating to learn about. You need to have a grasp on research methods for your sacs and the exam but other than that, it was relatively easy to transition into 3/4. It was such a great subject because everything you're learning is so applicable to life presently, and life in general. It is just an extremely content heavy subject so you need to ensure you stay on top of it, and not let yourself fall behind.