Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:29:47 am

Author Topic: (Help - Shipwrecks) History of Redox Reactions  (Read 523 times)  Share 

fishbiscuit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
(Help - Shipwrecks) History of Redox Reactions
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:27:02 pm »
Hello!
(this is from the shipwrecks option topic btw)

I just needed some clarification regarding the history of electron transfer reactions and the chemistry behind it.

I have read that Humphry Davy had recognised that electric current was produced as a result of chemical reactions, those reactions being decomposition reactions.
This disproves Galvani's and Volta's theory that two metals had to be in contact for an electric current to be induced (right?)

So, are electric currents produced as a result of decomposition reactions?

A HSC answer says this (not sure what year) but I need some clarification because the answer does not discuss how his discovery links to electrolysis.

Does Davy's work with electrolysis show this? I'm a bit confused because for Davy to do electrolysis, he required a battery... and if the separation of a compound results in an electric current - how did he show that chemical reactions are the source of electric currents? I feel like I'm missing a piece of information.

I've googled and checked sites but I can't fully understand it, so I was hoping maybe someone can clarify or explain to me... :)

Thank you for any help!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:30:59 pm by fishbiscuit »