Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 06:59:31 pm

Author Topic: VTAC preference question  (Read 2791 times)  Share 

golids

VTAC preference question
« on: December 22, 2007, 12:06:09 pm »
At the moment i'm considering doing either Pharmacy at Monash or Biomed and UoM

Most likely i'll put down Pharmacy as the 1st preference and Biomed as the 2nd preference. So i just want to know if that is what i put down but I miss out on Pharmacy would i get an offer for Biomed from UoM

I got 99.05 as an ENTER and am also a KLD scholar if that helps

Thanks in advance  :)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: VTAC preference question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 12:08:42 pm »
Yep, if you don't get into Pharmacy, you will be considered for Biomed.

rhcpfox1

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:37:12 pm »
That is, if you miss out on Pharmacy you will be guaranteed a CSP place in Biomed, as you are part of the KLD Program and you attained an ENTER of over 95.

Chances are you'll get into Pharmacy though.
quot;I only play Pac-Man and that car-jack game, there's nothing like scoring a caddy and mowing down street-hoes" - Dr.Kelso

golids

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 12:54:22 pm »
thanks for that, i was just wondering since i heard that is is rare to get 2nd round offers from UoM, plus during the year i couldn't care less about post-yr12 and didn't find much out  :idiot2:

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:48:06 pm »
It would still be a first round offer. VTAC will try to make it so you get the highest preference possible in the first round. Then, in the second round, you may be able to get offers from courses that are higher on your preferences.

golids

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 02:03:59 pm »
so it is possible that i get 2 offers, one from monash for pharmacy and one from UoM for biomed

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 02:05:21 pm »
It's possible that in the first round you'll get an offer from Melbourne and then in the second round you get an offer from Monash, yes.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 02:10:32 pm »
Don't be confused between preferences and rounds.

In any "round," VTAC will try to allocate the highest preference possible. This will be the offer you get for that round.

After that round, people may defer the degree, or decline the offer, so that opens up new spots again. This initiates the second round, and if you're lucky enough, you can get even higher preferences!

So if you don't make your 1st preference, you can still get your 2nd preference in the first round. (It will keep looking, from top to bottom, until it can give you a place. If you don't get a first round offer, none of your preferences could be allocated because your score was too low)

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 10:16:14 pm »
Don't be confused between preferences and rounds.

In any "round," VTAC will try to allocate the highest preference possible. This will be the offer you get for that round.

After that round, people may defer the degree, or decline the offer, so that opens up new spots again. This initiates the second round, and if you're lucky enough, you can get even higher preferences!

So if you don't make your 1st preference, you can still get your 2nd preference in the first round. (It will keep looking, from top to bottom, until it can give you a place. If you don't get a first round offer, none of your preferences could be allocated because your score was too low)

Exactly what he says.

That also means that if you have a course that requires a higher ENTER (eg, medicine @ 99.05) preferenced below something with a lower requirement (eg, commerce @ 95.00) then that medicine preference is known as a wasted preference as you will theorhetically never be able to be offered it (as you'll receive your higher preferenced offer with the lower ENTER requirement).

Regardless, with your score of 99.05 and only a moderately high UMAT score - you will easily get into Pharmacy.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator