Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:35:16 pm

Author Topic: practice essay topic  (Read 1034 times)  Share 

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
practice essay topic
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:00:39 pm »
I'm trying to find ideas to write about but I'm pretty stuck I keep changing topics so any help would be appreciated on how law reflects moral and ethical standards in regards to purpose of punishment and age of criminal responsibility or rights of children

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: practice essay topic
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:19:06 pm »
I'm trying to find ideas to write about but I'm pretty stuck I keep changing topics so any help would be appreciated on how law reflects moral and ethical standards in regards to purpose of punishment and age of criminal responsibility or rights of children

Hey! So wait, just to clarify, do you need help coming up with stuff for a specific practice question? Or do you need a question to practice with? ;D

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:33:44 pm »
Hey! So wait, just to clarify, do you need help coming up with stuff for a specific practice question? Or do you need a question to practice with? ;D
coming up with stuff for a specific question

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:44:09 pm »
coming up with stuff for a specific question

Cool cool, so:

With regard to purpose of punishment - You should consider some specific case studies to illustrate your points. Consider the punishments and what purpose they appear to take - Is it strict or lenient? Is it targeted at deterring the offender? Protecting the victim? The approach taken for punishment will ultimately reflect the values of society through how harshly a crime is punished. R v Loveridge and R v Singh could be two good cases to examine ;D

For Age of Criminal Responsibility/Children - Similar premise. Does society value a lenient/welfare approach to juvenile justice? OR does it focus instead on punishment/detterence/retribution? Again, the approach taken will reflect societal values. The Three Tier System is a must mention here (cases are a little tough to come by in this area, but if you can find them, they would work well just as above!)

Just a bit of a brainstorm, hope it helps ;D

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:55:52 pm »
Cool cool, so:

With regard to purpose of punishment - You should consider some specific case studies to illustrate your points. Consider the punishments and what purpose they appear to take - Is it strict or lenient? Is it targeted at deterring the offender? Protecting the victim? The approach taken for punishment will ultimately reflect the values of society through how harshly a crime is punished. R v Loveridge and R v Singh could be two good cases to examine ;D

For Age of Criminal Responsibility/Children - Similar premise. Does society value a lenient/welfare approach to juvenile justice? OR does it focus instead on punishment/detterence/retribution? Again, the approach taken will reflect societal values. The Three Tier System is a must mention here (cases are a little tough to come by in this area, but if you can find them, they would work well just as above!)

Just a bit of a brainstorm, hope it helps ;D
OMG thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much, that is very helpful thanks for replying to all my questions

Mod: Moved quote bracket so your comment sits outside.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:52:33 am by elysepopplewell »