Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 06:00:22 am

Author Topic: Gravitational Potential Energy  (Read 759 times)  Share 

tatkh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Gravitational Potential Energy
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:58:08 pm »
Hello!

I have a question regarding GPE. Can you please help me with this question (attached) and why it is the case? I am very confused with what happens to GPE as its height is increased.

Thank you :)

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Gravitational Potential Energy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:46:34 pm »
+3
Hello!

I have a question regarding GPE. Can you please help me with this question (attached) and why it is the case? I am very confused with what happens to GPE as its height is increased.

Thank you :)
the answer is c) it became more positive because although GPE is a negative value, as you move away from the Earth you are moving towards zero (which is an infinite distance away) and hence, you are giving the space station a greater potential energy. Think - as you lift an object up you are giving it more GPE and it therefore is becoming more positive
ARTEXPRESS 2019

impulsebro89

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Gravitational Potential Energy
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 06:22:09 pm »
+2
As your height increases, you gain GPE (just imagine lifting an apple from your table - it gains GPE which it previously did not have when it was on the table). Because GPE is 0 when it's at an infinite distance from a planet's gravitational field, when you move something like the ISS away from the Earth it gains GPE.

I find it really helpful to think of a number line: If GPE is a negative value, its position starts at the left of the 'zero' mark on the number line. Now as you gain GPE, you move towards the right on a number plane (i.e. move towards zero). You're still going to have a negative value, but it becomes smaller and smaller as you go towards zero (-5, -4, -3, -2....0)

So the answer is C because the value of the GPE becomes 'more positive', even though the GPE is still negative

Hope this helps!  ;D
HSC 2018
l English Advanced (88) l 2U Maths (95) l 3U Maths (45) l Physics (90) l Chemistry (88) l Legal Studies (91) l

ATAR: 97.00