Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:55:28 am

Author Topic: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.  (Read 93711 times)  Share 

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2018, 04:31:42 pm »
+1
Thanks for the advice! I was initially planning to spend 99% of my time on my 3 best subjects for the holidays and neglect the other 2, guess I should re-evaluate my plan a bit!  ;D
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2018, 04:33:30 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I was initially planning to spend 99% of my time on my 3 best subjects for the holidays and neglect the other 2, guess I should re-evaluate my plan a bit!  ;D

I mean, not necessarily - that's just my take on things, probably skewed by my own experiences. And I'm just some random guy who you've never met (to my knowledge ;)). I think it's risky to invest such a proportion of time and energy into just some of your subjects, but hey, it might work swimmingly for you.

I'd just be really aware that it's difficult to predict such things. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2018, 04:42:46 pm »
+1
I’m trying to figure out how to word this as a question haha.

I guess I just want to know your thoughts/experience with choosing what subjects (units?) to do at uni.

Like did you just choose things that you thought were interesting, did you do some subjects that weren’t interesting because they would help you get a job/be useful later in life? How would you recommend choosing what to do?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2018, 05:02:51 pm »
+4
I’m trying to figure out how to word this as a question haha.

I guess I just want to know your thoughts/experience with choosing what subjects (units?) to do at uni.

Like did you just choose things that you thought were interesting, did you do some subjects that weren’t interesting because they would help you get a job/be useful later in life? How would you recommend choosing what to do?

How I went about subject selection and how I did subject selection are probably different questions.

How I did it:

* So, I used this course map a fair bit to help me understand what criteria I needed to satisfy in order to complete my degree. Can't link the specific course map, but it's the one under "Bachelor of Arts - Dean's Scholars (2013)" at this link.

* In my first semester, I basically had a free hit at four completely different units. My selection process was honestly just scrolling through all of the different areas of study I had available to me, and thinking, "which of these most tickles my whiskers?" I thought at the time I wanted to major in Psychology, and I'd studied that at VCE level, so that was my first-chosen subject (and my first dropped lol). I felt I was pretty ignorant with history and politics and stuff, so I went with International Studies next. Then, I thought Human Rights Theory sounded pretty cool - I was tossing up between this and Philosophy (should have gone with Philosophy). Linguistics was my last-chosen subject. I initially chose something different, but changed it to Linguistics in Week 2 of the semester. I'll note here that after I'd chosen the broad areas of study I was interested in (Ling, International Studies, HRT, Psych), my units were pretty much chosen for me (just the first year first semester unit for each of them).

* I didn't hate any of those units enough to drop them for my second semester, so I just did the second semester equivalent for each of them.

In second year, things became a bit more interesting, because I wasn't just doing the first-year sequence for four subjects. Basically, my process from that point onward:

* Work out what I wanted to major in.
* Do the subjects that sounded coolest for those subjects as soon as I could (except on one occasion, where I really stuffed up and ended up missing a unit I really wanted to do altogether).

By "look the coolest", I also mean, "had no group work involved". There were several occasions where I avoided entire units just because they had assessed group work - not something I'd recommend to others.

Nearer the end of my degree, I ended up taking a few units where I knew I could get good marks - again, not something I'd recommend. Definitely a regret. It's not that I wasted those units - I still enjoyed them. I just feel like I missed an opportunity to really broaden myself and my skills. For example, I should have learnt a language at uni, but thought it'd be too hard and affect my marks. Really bad decision. In cases where I had the choice between two units, and one seemed slightly more interesting but the other seemed slightly easier, I went the easier option. Really dumb decision. I think it was a relic of a unit I did at some point called Topics in Indian Philosophy, where I only just scraped an HD and thought for the majority of the semester that it was going to ruin by precious, precious GPA. Horrible mentality.

Did you do some subjects that weren’t interesting because they would help you get a job/be useful later in life?
So to answer this part directly, nah. I never took units for sake of employment, because I had no idea what I wanted to do and, therefore, what would be relevant hahaha. I mostly just took what I thought I'd enjoy most, with a few decisions near the end being influenced by grades and other factors (as discussed above).

How would you recommend choosing what to do?
* Choose what looks most interesting.
* Make sure you satisfy prerequisites for other units/further study you really want to do.
* Consider employment if relevant. It wasn't for me, but it might be for you.

In terms of logistically how to do that, I spent a fair bit of time researching units online (hello, ATAR Notes' unit reviews!) and seeing what they were like. I'd basically get a short-list of like 30 possible units, then got rid of them one-by-one until I was left with my perfect (so I thought) four units for that semester.

But yeah, I definitely didn't do this perfectly - or even particularly well.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2018, 06:15:19 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for your reply  :D

If you learn any language, regardless of difficulty or usefulness, which one/s would you learn?
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2018, 09:46:30 pm »
+4
I thought FB3 would ask this, but nope... so I will. What is your patronus?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

jmcdougall19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2018, 03:32:22 pm »
+4
How did you find the time to homework, study notes, assignments, practice papers ect. Im finding it hard to complete all these "to-do's" in one afternoon. How did you manage your workload?

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2018, 03:47:03 pm »
+1
My biggest problem is I feel guilty whenever I'm not doing work. Sometimes I procrastinate and then I "reprimand" myself by limiting myself in my "free time". I honestly don't remember the last time I fully watched a movie. I was wondering if you ever felt like this during your HSC? If so how did you deal with it? Thanks!  :)
2018 HSC

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2018, 10:01:55 pm »
+4
P.S. Did you appreciate my video response?

Mmmmm yes and no. Yes because you did it and we got to see that gorgeous face of yours, but also no because it was too short
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
+5
Mmmmm yes and no. Yes because you did it and we got to see that gorgeous face of yours, but also no because it was too short
I'm totally predicting more marriage proposals to come in this thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2018, 10:27:46 am »
+4
Sorry, folks - had a bit of a break over the long weekend. I'm back now and happy to field more questions!

Thanks so much for your reply  :D

If you learn any language, regardless of difficulty or usefulness, which one/s would you learn?

No worries!

Any language - that's tough. I think my default response would usually be along the lines of difficulty and usefulness haha, so like, what's left? Sentimentality? How nice it sounds? History?

I like Gaelic - always have. I'm not really sure why. But like, how beautiful does it sound?

To be honest, I'd be happy being proficient in any other language. I'm monolingual as it stands!

I thought FB3 would ask this, but nope... so I will. What is your patronus?

I actually did the test on Pottermore the other day. My patronus is a bloodhound. According to Wikipedia (because I had no knowledge about bloodhounds haha), they are gentle, dedicated, wilful, affectionate and even-tempered.

How did you find the time to homework, study notes, assignments, practice papers ect. Im finding it hard to complete all these "to-do's" in one afternoon. How did you manage your workload?

Hey, welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

Consistency is the answer, I think. There's certainly no need to complete them all in one afternoon. If it ever gets to the stage where you feel as though you do need to do it all in one afternoon, it might be time to step back a little.

Practice papers - honestly not hugely needed at the moment IMO. You can leave these until a little later in the year.

Otherwise, I tried to get as much done at school as possible. Fewer distractions, greater productivity and so on. This might not be the case for you, but it certainly was for me, so I tried to emphasise that strength (or, I guess, eliminate the weakness of lower productivity at home).

But yeah, I think the main point here is less how to get everything done in one afternoon, and more the point that you don't need to. Just do what you can on any given day, and let the rest carry over to tomorrow. If you work consistently, you'll get it all done - and this is a much better way of going about it IMO than leaving everything to any given afternoon.

My biggest problem is I feel guilty whenever I'm not doing work. Sometimes I procrastinate and then I "reprimand" myself by limiting myself in my "free time". I honestly don't remember the last time I fully watched a movie. I was wondering if you ever felt like this during your HSC? If so how did you deal with it? Thanks!  :)

I feel you! I had (have, to a smaller degree) this issue also. This was really strong for me, particularly through Year 12. I think for students who want to do well, it would be pretty common. Like, there's a lot of rhetoric around. "Year 12 will be the hardest year of your life" and the like. The natural reaction to that is probably to beat yourself up a little when you "catch" yourself not studying 100% of the time.

But then, if you think about it, not studying 100% of the time is actually what you need. And probably what it takes is just a bit of a mentality shift. To do well, you need time to rest - so not giving yourself that time will probably be pretty counter-productive.

It's sort of like going to the gym. If you want to get, like, super buff (not something I'm very familiar with haha), you can't go to the gym 24/7. It'd be silly to do so, because at some point or another, you'll pull a muscle. You'll get hurt because you'll overwork yourself. Same thing with Year 12, except HSC/VCE is the gym, and studying is the equivalent of working out. If you try to do it all the time, and don't give yourself sufficient time to rest/recuperate, it'll be counter-productive in the end. You won't get as buff as you would have if you gave yourself permission to chill out here and there.

It's definitely hard, and I struggled with similar things through school and uni a lot. It's worth working on, though, because studying all the time just isn't sustainable.

You might be lucky at a later date then. ;)

EragusTrenzalore

• Trailblazer
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2018, 04:29:17 pm »
+1
Hi Joseph41.

What strategies did you use to manage your time and balance your life during Uni between your academic studies, extracurriculars and other activities (e.g. family or a job)? Were you a person who had everything under control and procrastinated very little?

Thanks,

EragusTrenzalore
Nothing worth having comes easy.

2016: Geography
2017: Literature, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Economics

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2018, 04:48:56 pm »
+3
Hi Joseph41.

What strategies did you use to manage your time and balance your life during Uni between your academic studies, extracurriculars and other activities (e.g. family or a job)? Were you a person who had everything under control and procrastinated very little?

Thanks,

EragusTrenzalore

Hey EragusTrenzalore. :)

What strategies did you use to manage your time and balance your life during Uni between your academic studies, extracurriculars and other activities (e.g. family or a job)?

Good question. I'm a big fan of to-do lists, which I use for both academic and non-academic purposes. I much prefer to-do lists to, say, study timetables, which I spoke about in this post. I'll copy and paste the relevant parts for convenience:

"I've never liked study timetables - in fact, I dislike them with a passion! Haha. In Year 11 or Year 12 or something, my school tried to get everybody organised and suggested using study timetables. I took one look at it, tried to block in some study periods, and thought, "this literally makes no sense". Like, how could I forecast several days into the future when I should be studying for certain subjects, or when I should be resting? It just felt really limiting to me, and whilst I like structure in my life, that much structure was just cramping my style.

I don't really get them, either, because like, what happens if you have English revision scheduled for 7-8 on a Tuesday, and then don't do it? Either you beat yourself up about it, or the timetable is seemingly fruitless - and neither of those options is good.

What I use religiously is to-do lists. I used them through high school, I used them very much at uni, and I use them very much at work. To me, they're like study timetables insofar as you document everything you need to do, but they have greater efficacy for a number of reasons:

* You're not blocked into doing things at certain times. For example, if you have an English exam coming up, but have scheduled in Maths revision, what do you do? Ignore your exam? Ignore your timetable? Something has to give. With to-do lists, on the other hand, you can simply get through the tasks one-by-one in an order you deem most appropriate at the time.

* With to-do lists, you can carry over tasks. Despite using a to-do list basically every day, I don't think I've ever finished one; that is, I've never got through every single task I had on my list for that day. But that's fine, because when I don't complete something on my list, it goes straight to the top of tomorrow's. If I don't get through it again, it becomes bold on the next day's. And then a bigger font. And then highlighted. It gets to the point that that task looks so obnoxiously horrible on the page that it's satisfaction in itself to simply get it off the list. And the only way to do that is to finish the task.

* To me, the satisfaction of physically crossing things off is satisfying, and provides reinforcement.

One might argue that to get around all of my gripes with study timetables, you should just block in "study" - and nothing subject-specific. But to me, this is just as silly - what happens if you're really, really tired during one of those periods? What if you feel like going for a walk instead? Trying to force yourself into studying at times that don't suit you is just silly IMO, and will probably be counter-productive if anything.

Don't get me wrong: there'll probably be times where you kinda need to study but don't feel like it, and you just have to take it. Hard work and the like means that you'll probably sometimes study when you don't feel like it. But if you're in a really, really bad mood, or you just need to rest, trying to study probably won't do much for you, and that's where my issue with study timetables comes in: they're inflexible. And if they are flexible, is it really a timetable?

I actually wrote about organisation and using to-do lists in this article, which might interest you. :)"

I used to-do lists through Year 12, and then all the way through uni. I still use them at work - I just find them really, really useful to keep everything in check.

But that aside, some strategies (some along a similar line):

* I've on-and-off used a diary (a physical diary). The hardest bit is getting used to it and getting in the groove. I don't use one at the moment, but I should - it's just that I didn't start at the beginning of the year, and now I'm lazy. My girlfriend even bought me one, so I really need to get into it! I've found that the physical act of penning in events and things to do and the like, sort of cements dates into my head - and I know what has to be done, when. I'm really bad with dates (remembering when I have things on, when things are due etc.), so a diligently kept diary tends to help me a lot.

* Routine. Having times blocked in where I regularly complete certain activities helps me keep on top of them. You might argue that this is going down the line of a study timetable, but I think it's a bit different. What I mean is stuff like getting up at the same time of day, having breakfast at the same time, exercising or whatever at a consistent time. If you do things regularly enough in the same time slot, it just becomes habit. So for me, during semester at uni I'd establish certain study times. These might have been before lectures, or after them. It didn't really matter when, as such - it just mattered that they were consistent. It didn't really feel like I was making an effort to study in those situations - it was just what I did.

* Knowing myself and my strengths. I think one of my biggest strengths is knowing how much would be too much - I'm always cognisant of not biting off more than I could chew. I know a lot of other people who take on way too much, and then struggle and can't keep on top of everything. I prioritised the most important things to me, and then filled up my time with whatever else could fit - but nothing more. Sort of like filling a jar: you fill it with rocks before you fill it with sand; if you fill your time with all of the unimportant stuff, you won't be able to fit in uni, work, friends, family etc. And that's when issues start to form.

* And along a similar line, making time for the most important things. I get anxious pretty easily, so if I feel like I'm neglecting an important part of my life, the best thing for me is simply to give it some love and attention. Taking time out of my schedule to do this is actually a good thing in the long run, because I become more productive in whatever I'm focusing on at the time.

Were you a person who had everything under control and procrastinated very little?

* Straight up, I definitely do not have everything under control - soooooo far from it hahaha. I think anybody close to me would confirm that, including several people on these forums. I honestly don't think anybody has everything under control, and those who seem as though they do are just better actors than the rest of us.

* I procrastinate, don't get me wrong. It's not as though getting good marks at uni requires like, superhuman study abilities haha. But what I did try to focus on was making the times I studied really productive. I don't know if I studied more than other people, but I do feel as though I got stuff done when I did. That's an important factor, and a big part of that for me was reducing distractions (phone, friends etc.). I always studied alone because I just couldn't do it as productively with other people. In that sense, I played to my strengths. The good thing here is that when you're not studying, you genuinely feel as though you can enjoy it. It's a bit of a win/win, really - in essence, you study hard, you play hard. The alternative is you sort of study for a really long time and, therefore, never really have proper time off. Super tiring!

* I'll also note that even though I'm definitely not on top of everything in my life (like I said above, far, far from it), I do think I was pretty diligent when it came to uni stuff. I set up very clear assessment timetables/timelines, and this helped me immensely.

Thanks for your questions. :)

EragusTrenzalore

• Trailblazer
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:58 pm »
+1
Thanks for the awesome response. I've also had the same experience with timetables; despite trying to set one up in VCE, I never ended up following it and it turned into more of a to do list. How do you determine how many tasks you can fit in a day and do you get better at this over time?
Nothing worth having comes easy.

2016: Geography
2017: Literature, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Economics

TheHeckle

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:44 pm »
+1
Got 3 questions that have been on my mind lately and wanted your opinion them

1. How do you 'sell yourself' in a job resume and make it look appealing?
2. What is your opinion on part-time jobs during year 12 and how does it differ from uni?
3. Regarding school, do you recommend studying ahead (if so by how much)?
-Thanks in advance