Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:07:14 am

Author Topic: MHS - Year 11 entry  (Read 3195 times)  Share 

GodlyBuddha

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
MHS - Year 11 entry
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »
Hi all,

Im thinking of trying out for MHS one last time. I currently go to JMSS and its great there but I still want to move. I generally get good marks and have some achievements such as: High distinction Maths yr9 ICAS and High Distinction Science yr7 ICAS. I also play the flute and do a language. Do you think I have a chance?

Other people who are trying out are welcome to join and we can help each other out!

thanks!

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: MHS - Year 11 entry
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »
Year 11 entry is all about extra-curricular activities, so try to do as much volunteering, leadership and sporting activities as possible. I reckon you have a chance, did you try out last year?
2018-2020: UoM Comm

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:32:34 pm »
+1
^Good thing to note that there's no exam for it as well (basically application and then interview).

From what I've heard it's a lot easier than other years when applying though I do know of a few people who applied and then declined their offer after seeing what subjects they can/cannot accelerate in (Methods being one of them) so being aware of the curriculum is also something to make not of for later on.

Off-topic
You'll enjoy JMSS as time goes by ;)

GodlyBuddha

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 03:36:13 pm »
Year 11 entry is all about extra-curricular activities, so try to do as much volunteering, leadership and sporting activities as possible. I reckon you have a chance, did you try out last year?
^Good thing to note that there's no exam for it as well (basically application and then interview).

From what I've heard it's a lot easier than other years when applying though I do know of a few people who applied and then declined their offer after seeing what subjects they can/cannot accelerate in (Methods being one of them) so being aware of the curriculum is also something to make not of for later on.

Off-topic
You'll enjoy JMSS as time goes by ;)

Thanks so much for the replies,

I did not tryout for the yr 10 entry because Im really not good at the types of exams they set. I never got any tutoring and when I did the examination as a year 8, I felt hugely disadvantaged.

Im trying out this year because I think I have a better shot. My current school is great, but the mass taught classes and the incorporation of so much technology is leaving me behind. It is also a lot easier to get to MHS than it is to get to JMSS.

Thank you again :)

wobblywobbly

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »
This is a bit late, but the rules have changed.

The Year 11 involvement seems to be only an arts intake, meaning that you will need to do an arts subject/display a potential in arts before enrolling.

For more info: http://www.mhsviceduau.com/#!enolyr11/c1phj
:)

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:04:15 am »
+1
Hi all,

Im thinking of trying out for MHS one last time. I currently go to JMSS and its great there but I still want to move. I generally get good marks and have some achievements such as: High distinction Maths yr9 ICAS and High Distinction Science yr7 ICAS. I also play the flute and do a language. Do you think I have a chance?

Other people who are trying out are welcome to join and we can help each other out!

thanks!

Hey GodlyBuddha,

Hopefully by now you have well and truly settled in JMSS and feeling a lot more confident with the technology stuff.

I came from MHS and I actually left before the end of the year as I did not really like it there. Having been to both school I think JMSS is actually a much better school in terms of how they organise the curriculum as well as the flexibility in terms of the VCE subjects that you could do. Sure there are some issues but then which school doesn't.

Anyway hopefully you don't feel the need to change to MHS anymore as you will be missed.

wobblywobbly

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:56:24 pm »
Hey guys,
I currently attend Mazenod College and I'm also thinking about trying out for MHS for Year 11 entry. I tried out for JMSS last year, but I failed the interview. I was gonna try out for JMSS for Year 11, but I decided to go for MHS Year 11 entry with music. For music, I play Piano, in which I just recently passed Grade 8 and I'm currently on AMusA now.

Can you guys help me with what to expect for the Year 11 entry, because I forgot to attend the Principal's Information Session for Year 11 Art Intakes applicant and will I have a chance to make it? I generally get straight A+ for Maths, Science. I'm involved in about 3 school bands and the Chess Club. I did community service for the school, I did the Australian Maths Competition in Year 8 and I went into a piano competition.

Check the website. It is compulsory to do a music/drama/arts subject if you want to get in in Year 11
:)