Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:07:01 pm

Author Topic: How do you prepare an Adv. English Speech?  (Read 3257 times)

armtistic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
How do you prepare an Adv. English Speech?
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
Our Module C assessment is a 6 minute speech on Brave New World and a related text, for which I am doing Snowpiercer.

Basically we've been given 3 questions to respond to and the one I've chosen is:

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams.
Evaluate the relevance of this statement to the ideas represented in BNW and one RT.

My main question is what exactly is a quality speech in Advanced English meant to be? Is it just like a discussion of themes and personal opinions about the question and the texts, or is it more like an essay in verbal form with quotes and techniques and analysis etc.
How would you start your speech on a question like this?
ATAR: 99.70

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: How do you prepare an Adv. English Speech?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:14:02 pm »
+1
It's essentially an analytical essay twisted with some speech elements. ie. Rhetorical questions, colloquial language, first person in your intro, second person throughout the bodies

So if in an essay you'd say: Aldous Huxley's representation of.. is seen through the characterisation..

In a speech you'd say:

Aldous shows us, the readers, his perspective of ... through characterisation of Lenina as the...

Idk how else to explain it but does that make sense? You still need majority of the elements of an essay ie. thesis, quotes, analysis but you just present in a more colloquial and laid back form. it's a bit awkward in my opinion but what can you dooooo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:38:07 pm by mjorfian »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 07:33:58 pm »
Hey! The response above is awesome - It is very much just a more colloquial version of an essay. But similar structure and same ideas ;D

Give this guide on speeches a read!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:36:24 pm »
I also felt like this Ted talk helped me with my public speaking :) - https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 04:54:19 pm »
It's similar to an essay but you would have to address the audience and be conscience of your body language. Since it is a speech you're able to emphasise certain words, insert pauses and so on. Use these to your advantage.
Heavy Things :(

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »
+2
Hi this is just from my experience, but I think you should definitely ask your teacher (or whoever is marking) what they think a good speech sounds/looks like. I think speeches are even more subjective than essays and creative writing when it comes to writing, as I've had wildly different experiences with public speaking through my years. Some teachers don't mind if you would like to spice it up with comedy and more colloquial terms while others most definitely prefer you to take a more serious approach. My teacher has very firmly stated he doesn't just want it to be a spoken essay and insists we extend ourselves.

I think the most important thing in a speech though is making sure you speak confidently when you're putting forward your thesis and linking ideas. If you're convinced you're correct, your marker is more inclined to think so as well. When trying to convince your audience of something, I'd also use inclusive language (us, our, etc..) and if you're particularly nervous about public speaking, treat it as a performance. Body language is key and don't be afraid to use gestures. (But make sure if you use movement in your speech to have already orchestrated each step or sway. Teachers can always tell when you haven't planned a step or not, especially if they double as a drama teacher like mine.)

Hope I managed to help you at least a little! My own speaking assessment is coming up in less than a week and I'm endeavouring to memorise mine to give myself more room to move. Good luck though and I hope you get a good mark!
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »
+1
Hi this is just from my experience, but I think you should definitely ask your teacher (or whoever is marking) what they think a good speech sounds/looks like. I think speeches are even more subjective than essays and creative writing when it comes to writing, as I've had wildly different experiences with public speaking through my years. Some teachers don't mind if you would like to spice it up with comedy and more colloquial terms while others most definitely prefer you to take a more serious approach. My teacher has very firmly stated he doesn't just want it to be a spoken essay and insists we extend ourselves.

I think the most important thing in a speech though is making sure you speak confidently when you're putting forward your thesis and linking ideas. If you're convinced you're correct, your marker is more inclined to think so as well. When trying to convince your audience of something, I'd also use inclusive language (us, our, etc..) and if you're particularly nervous about public speaking, treat it as a performance. Body language is key and don't be afraid to use gestures. (But make sure if you use movement in your speech to have already orchestrated each step or sway. Teachers can always tell when you haven't planned a step or not, especially if they double as a drama teacher like mine.)

Hope I managed to help you at least a little! My own speaking assessment is coming up in less than a week and I'm endeavouring to memorise mine to give myself more room to move. Good luck though and I hope you get a good mark!

What a fantastic answer - Thanks Lollzza!!

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:39 am »
+1
Another important factor is to remember that a speech is not an essay - and your teacher will be keeping an eye out for those who can effectively differenciate the two. You can find some great speech writing tips on the web if you try!
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:18:10 pm »
+1
Another important factor is to remember that a speech is not an essay - and your teacher will be keeping an eye out for those who can effectively differenciate the two. You can find some great speech writing tips on the web if you try!

This x100.

I adjudicate speeches for VCAA (our BoS down here) and there's literally nothing worse than hearing someone recite an essay.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd