Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 05:07:20 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1241983 times)

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1335 on: January 26, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »
Hey girl! your legal lecture yesterday was such a life saver and I learnt LOADS! Just wondering... what were some better related texts for Adv English? We are doing The Life of Pi as our prescribed and I used "the Kite Runner" for my first assessment. I was thinking of changing this for trials/HSC to something with more discovery in it :)

What's the BEST way to avoid RETELLING your related text in your essay? I alwaaays fall into this trap

What is the best way to manage time in an english exam?

Mod edit: Posts merged. Please edit your first post if you want to add something.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:03:45 pm by Aaron »

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1336 on: January 26, 2017, 04:03:30 pm »
Hey! Big debate that one - Elyse and I took different approaches to it:

- Here is an article on memorising essays!
- Here is an article against it.

Pretty much, if you aren't memorising, you need to be memorising evidence (kind of like you would for Legal). Quotes, techniques, audience impacts, context stuff - Anything you could use in an essay. You remember that stuff and just write using it on the day.

You can even go in between - Memorise an introduction but not your paragraphs, for example. No reason it needs to be completely 'one or the other' ;D

Yep sounds good! I like the method of memorising the intros! thank you!

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #1337 on: January 26, 2017, 04:26:21 pm »
Hi!  :)

What's your opinion on people memorising their essays and creative pieces going into exams? I am being told that it's the best thing to do, but I'm not sure..

Thank you!
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1338 on: January 26, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »

What's your opinion on people memorising their essays and creative pieces going into exams? I am being told that it's the best thing to do, but I'm not sure..

Thank you!

Hey! Very popular debate at the moment, we were just talking about it! I'm personally against it - a lot of people are for it.

It might help you decide for yourself! ;D

phebsh

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1339 on: January 26, 2017, 04:46:59 pm »
Hey! Very popular debate at the moment, we were just talking about it! I'm personally against it - a lot of people are for it.

It might help you decide for yourself! ;D

Thanks!

I honestly feel like simply knowing your quotes, techniques and arguements is enough to kill the essay... I guess everyone is different and should do whatever works best for you! I am indecisive of what I want to do but will practice doing both to figure out what works best for me :)
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1340 on: January 26, 2017, 04:52:41 pm »
Thanks!

I honestly feel like simply knowing your quotes, techniques and arguements is enough to kill the essay... I guess everyone is different and should do whatever works best for you! I am indecisive of what I want to do but will practice doing both to figure out what works best for me :)

Couldn't have said it better myself ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1341 on: January 26, 2017, 05:01:54 pm »
Hey girl! your legal lecture yesterday was such a life saver and I learnt LOADS! Just wondering... what were some better related texts for Adv English? We are doing The Life of Pi as our prescribed and I used "the Kite Runner" for my first assessment. I was thinking of changing this for trials/HSC to something with more discovery in it :)

What's the BEST way to avoid RETELLING your related text in your essay? I alwaaays fall into this trap

What is the best way to manage time in an english exam?

Here is a list of suggested ORT's, it might have some ideas for you! ;D

On retell, there is an easy way to identify it. Read the sentence to yourself, then ask, "Does someone else who have just read that text already know that?" Meaning, was what I am writing now literally mentioned in the text. If it was, retell. If what you said was never directly mentioned in the text (it could have been alluded to, because often concepts are heavily implied in texts without being said), then chances are that it isn't retell. Common culprits are describing character actions and even describing qualities of characters - Both are retell!

You should develop a plan for the exam room before you walk in - Know how much time you will spend on each section. There is no 'best' way, you need to know what works for you! ;D this guide could be worth a read, it is on preparing for a Paper 1 style English exam, might be some golden nuggets of information there for you :)

kyli

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1342 on: January 26, 2017, 05:25:21 pm »

Thank you!

This has long been argued, and I can see why. However, what you choose to do depends on many factors: how much time you have, how good you are at memorising, whether you have the question, what ideas you've thought of for your creative, etc. There are pros and cons to each method.

Firstly, depending on their natural English skill, people often decide whether to memorise, or write 'from scratch' (I say 'from scratch' because ideally, all your quotes, techniques and analysis should be memorised and you've written out practice essays multiple times). It's true, some people do just naturally have a flair for English, and those people typically write their essays 'from scratch'. This is advantageous as you can easily adapt to the question and with practice (perhaps also marking from a tutor, teacher, or ATAR Notes' mods), you'll have some really good ideas prepared, and can just go for it when you get the question! However, anybody can learn to write a good essay from scratch, but it takes practice and time, which is why many people resort to memorising essays.

Memorising takes a significant amount of effort as well. Often used by people who aren't 'naturals' at the subject, this is the method of writing out a pre-prepared essay in the exam room. Obviously, for this you need an essay that you have perfected, which also takes a lot of time to type/write up. It might seem 'safe', but just remember that if you blank out (personally hasn't happened to me, but can happen to anyone), your essay is gone. Furthermore, memorising an entire essay takes a significant amount of time, even up to 7 hours (I have personally taken this long before). Also, if you decide to memorise your essay, I highly recommend memorising a few days before, and practising with various questions so that you have the hang of adapting your essay to different questions. As you can probably tell, I do often memorise and adapt my essays, as I have tried both methods and this gets me the best results. If you have a method that you have gotten good marks consistently with before, I recommend doing that. It's risky, changing methods with your writing mid-year, unless you still haven't found something that's worked for you.

The key to any good essay is a LOT of practice. You can incorporate both methods and memorise your key ideas, introduction (including a strong thesis), quotes, techniques and analysis, and learn how to adapt this to the question, but either way, the best results come with practice. I admit that I have gotten full marks a few times with an adapted memorised essay from the night before, but I don't recommend this at all as I sacrificed sleep which is NOT a good idea the day before an exam. Your best bet is putting in the effort to write out an essay at home under timed conditions, from scratch, then getting it looked at. How did you do? After a few tries, if whoever you asked to mark it (ideally a teacher) is still not satisfied, perhaps memorisation of key points, etc. or an entire essay (but after learning how to adapt, obviously) would work better for you.

As for creatives, since they're my stronger point, I can walk into an exam with just an idea and get satisfactory results, so I personally have never memorised a creative. It's recommended to have an already-created character and/or a setting to adapt into your story, if these aren't provided in the stimuli- makes things a lot easier, really  :) Writing a good creative also comes with practice, especially if you don't have the flair for it.

tl;dr- You can literally write a good anything with or without memorising, you just need practice. Find out what works for you and stick to it!!  :D
kyli 🌻

Abbeegale

• Adventurer
« Reply #1343 on: January 26, 2017, 05:37:13 pm »
Hey! Does anyone have notes on Ode on a Grecian Urn by John Keats?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:41:21 pm by Abbeegale »

phebsh

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1344 on: January 26, 2017, 07:26:46 pm »
Hey!
I'm in the middle of attempting to write an essay.. I was never taught a really good way of writing an essay... What structure is best to use? Also, is it good to use the stages of discovery for your paragraphs?

Stage 1 - Depature: leaving the farmiliar to venture into the extaordinary
Stage 2 - Significant Experiences: the individual goes through a number of important experiences which stay with them to characterise the discovery
Stage 3 - Revelation/Epiphany: experiences which lead to important realisations
Stage 4 - Transformation: impact of discoveries on the individual - changed or transformed

I included the stages for anyone who is not aware of them!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:29:11 pm by phebsh »
2017 HSC

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1345 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »
Hey!
I'm in the middle of attempting to write an essay.. I was never taught a really good way of writing an essay... What structure is best to use? Also, is it good to use the stages of discovery for your paragraphs?

Stage 1 - Depature: leaving the farmiliar to venture into the extaordinary
Stage 2 - Significant Experiences: the individual goes through a number of important experiences which stay with them to characterise the discovery
Stage 3 - Revelation/Epiphany: experiences which lead to important realisations
Stage 4 - Transformation: impact of discoveries on the individual - changed or transformed

I included the stages for anyone who is not aware of them!

Hey there! There's no best way to write an essay, but what you have described is the way that I wrote my own AOS essay! I didn't use the exact stages you did so to say, but I took that approach of looking into sequential order of the plot and analysing how it impacted discovery. Are you by any chances studying Go Back To Where you Came From?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1346 on: January 27, 2017, 08:03:18 am »
Hey Guys  ;D I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to prepare for a listening task. I am going to complete for Module A with texts 1984 and Metropolis, which I have both read and watched that is pretty interesting. Yet, I always perform very poorly in listening tasks. Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks

Chemystery

• Forum Regular
  • Caity x
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1347 on: January 28, 2017, 09:07:29 am »

Hey Guys  ;D I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to prepare for a listening task. I am going to complete for Module A with texts 1984 and Metropolis, which I have both read and watched that is pretty interesting. Yet, I always perform very poorly in listening tasks. Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks

Hey love!

Having completed English last year I know the struggles of listening tasks - almost as mysterious as AoS unseen texts! Some good advice I can give though from experience is to reaffirm your knowledge and confidence in using a variety of audio techniques and, unless yours is plainly listening unlike mine, also to know your visual techniques and how to conceptualise your comparative response!

Again your assessment may have been different than mine, but don't worry I sucked at it too haha! Maybe try asking your teacher for a scaffold for the assessment if possible so you're prepared for the style of questions you'll need to answer - or even look back at your old assessment from prelim!

Hope this helped and good luck! :)
Reaching for the stars ♥
Music 1: 78
----------------------------
2017:
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Biology
Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1348 on: January 28, 2017, 01:03:10 pm »
Some more tips to add to the awesome advice above:

- You'll almost definitely be able to write during your listening - Don't write the techniques down. Just write the quotes so you can analyse them yourself outside your listening time (if thats the way it works)!

- Get short snippets of your excerpt - Don't go for long sentences! Try for no more than 10 word quotes to make them easy to jot down!

- Listen out for easy, over-arching techniques/styles. Style of delivery and tone especially - That is easy to forget but super easy!

Overall, just know your techniques really well and have a set plan for what to listen for and how to write it down. Try and do some practice so you feel super prepared! ;D

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1349 on: January 28, 2017, 03:13:02 pm »
hi

i have to read RICHARD 3.
how should i approach reading the text and how should i push myself to read it.
furthermore i cant seem to get into the zone to start reading, i cant remember the last time i read a proper book.

thanks