Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:13:11 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475625 times)  Share 

ardria

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1125 on: June 14, 2018, 02:20:55 pm »
Hi there,

Why does 'Motivation' come after 'Reproduction' in the 5-stage Observational Learning process? If reproduction is the act of copying the model's behaviour, wouldn't you need to be motivated before reproducing it? Or does it mean motivation to reproduce it next time?

Thanks very much  :)

--

EDIT: Just realised that the Reproduction stage only refers to the observer having the ability to reproduce the behaviour, not that they are going to reproduce it yet! Is this correct?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:34:07 pm by ardria »

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #1126 on: June 14, 2018, 06:07:51 pm »
Hi there,

Why does 'Motivation' come after 'Reproduction' in the 5-stage Observational Learning process? If reproduction is the act of copying the model's behaviour, wouldn't you need to be motivated before reproducing it? Or does it mean motivation to reproduce it next time?

Thanks very much  :)

--

EDIT: Just realised that the Reproduction stage only refers to the observer having the ability to reproduce the behaviour, not that they are going to reproduce it yet! Is this correct?

Your edit is spot on :)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1127 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:07 am »
Why is mental health defined as : The psychological state of an individual who is functioning at a satisfactory level of emotional and behavioural adjustment, in my book?

Isn't that the definition of someone who is mentally healthy?  Because I would assume that mental health is something that everybody has (regardless of whether or not one is functioning at a 'satisfactory level'.)

Shouldn't mental health be defined more broadly? Like this for example: an indivudal's psychological state of emotional and behavioural wellbeing (which can vary from mentally healthy to poor mental health to having a mental disorder)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:19:37 am by studyingg »

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #1128 on: June 26, 2018, 06:13:28 pm »
+1
Why is mental health defined as : The psychological state of an individual who is functioning at a satisfactory level of emotional and behavioural adjustment, in my book?

Isn't that the definition of someone who is mentally healthy?  Because I would assume that mental health is something that everybody has (regardless of whether or not one is functioning at a 'satisfactory level'.)

Shouldn't mental health be defined more broadly? Like this for example: an indivudal's psychological state of emotional and behavioural wellbeing (which can vary from mentally healthy to poor mental health to having a mental disorder)
In this instance, I think you should think of [mental health] as being "an end of the spectrum", or as you say, "mentally healthy".
It is purely because you are contrasting health with illness. Therefore, being "healthy" would imply functioning well for the most part, while being "ill" implies dysfunction or disorder (as 'mental disorder' is synonymous with 'mental illness').

If you are looking for a broad definition (as you put it) I would avoid the term "mental health" altogether and opt for "mental state" or something similar. Just because of the aformention connection of "health" to a continuum from "illness" to "health", and health is generally thought of as the 'absence of illness', though not necessarily true.

Side note: I'd say the spectrum is from "mental health" to "mental health issue" to "mental illness".
IMHO 'poor mental health's is too ambiguous and not mentioned in most textbooks. Though I understand what you mean, I would stay away from it in formal assessments.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:15:17 pm by sarangiya »
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1129 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:47 am »
+2
snip

snip

You both raise good points.
Here, the study design should be your guide:
"Key knowledge
Defining mental health
•    mental health as a continuum (mentally healthy, mental health problems, mental disorders) influenced by
internal and external factors that can fluctuate over time
•    the typical characteristics of a mentally healthy person, including high levels of functioning, social and emotional
well-being and resilience to life stressors"

So your definitions would be:
mental health: a continuum encompassing being mentally healthy, having mental health problems, and experiencing mental disorder/s, which is influenced by internal and external factors that can fluctuate over time
mentally healthy: a positive state of wellbeing in which a person can function effectively (contribute to their community, achieve goals, demonstrate resilience to life's stressors) and feels connection (to their community and others in general)

@studyingg   imo that book's definition is lackluster even when applied to being mentally healthy
I agree with saringiya that "poor mental health" is very ambigous and it would be better to use "mental illness" or "mental health disorder"

Note:  Defining mental health as a positive attribute is not invalid. There are lots of different definitions for mental health, and the World Health Organisation defines mental health in a way that shows it as a positive attribute. However, given the specificity with which VCAA has defined mental health in the study design, I would be cautious using any approach that isn't theirs.

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #1130 on: June 28, 2018, 02:35:40 pm »
Hi,  I've got a silly question :)

I'm looking for past literature on free recall and recognition. Does anyone know any websites I could find it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1131 on: June 29, 2018, 08:05:30 am »
+1
Hi,  I've got a silly question :)

I'm looking for past literature on free recall and recognition. Does anyone know any websites I could find it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Not a silly question at all!

When you reach uni it becomes a lot easier as you gain access to databases, but in year 12 my main tactic was googling.

I happened to look at recall and recognition last year and here are a couple of the papers I found

papers
Haist, F., Shimamura, A., & Squire, L. (1992). On the relationship between recall and recognition memory. Journal Of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, And Cognition, 18(4), 691-702. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037//0278-7393.18.4.691

TAJIKA, H. (1984). Influences of the encoding instructions on retrieval processes in recall and recognition memory. Japanese Psychological Research, 26(4), 179-186. Retrieved from https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/psycholres1954/26/4/26_4_179/_pdf

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #1132 on: June 29, 2018, 01:25:52 pm »
Not a silly question at all!

When you reach uni it becomes a lot easier as you gain access to databases, but in year 12 my main tactic was googling.

I happened to look at recall and recognition last year and here are a couple of the papers I found

papers
Haist, F., Shimamura, A., & Squire, L. (1992). On the relationship between recall and recognition memory. Journal Of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, And Cognition, 18(4), 691-702. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037//0278-7393.18.4.691

TAJIKA, H. (1984). Influences of the encoding instructions on retrieval processes in recall and recognition memory. Japanese Psychological Research, 26(4), 179-186. Retrieved from https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/psycholres1954/26/4/26_4_179/_pdf

Thank you!

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1133 on: June 30, 2018, 03:23:53 pm »
Research Methods Question:
Are self reports a separate method of research to experimental research?

Because some resources conder them "non-experimental methods of research", whereas other resources consider them methods of data collection (which can be used to collect data in an experiment). This really confuses me, because it makes sense to consider as both.  For example someone could design an experiment where they control and manipulate variables as well as use random allocation to devise a control and experimental group and then use a self-report to measure the effect of the IV on the  DV. Or someone could design a non-experimental research procedure where they use a self report to collect data- like an online survey or something. But it wouldn't be an experiment bc of the uncontrolled variables, not manipulate an IV, and not meet the qualifications of experimental research. So which is right? sorry if I confuse anyone, it kind of confuses me :P

You both raise good points.
Here, the study design should be your guide:
"Key knowledge
Defining mental health
•    mental health as a continuum (mentally healthy, mental health problems, mental disorders) influenced by
internal and external factors that can fluctuate over time
•    the typical characteristics of a mentally healthy person, including high levels of functioning, social and emotional
well-being and resilience to life stressors"

So your definitions would be:
mental health: a continuum encompassing being mentally healthy, having mental health problems, and experiencing mental disorder/s, which is influenced by internal and external factors that can fluctuate over time
mentally healthy: a positive state of wellbeing in which a person can function effectively (contribute to their community, achieve goals, demonstrate resilience to life's stressors) and feels connection (to their community and others in general)

@studyingg   imo that book's definition is lackluster even when applied to being mentally healthy
I agree with saringiya that "poor mental health" is very ambigous and it would be better to use "mental illness" or "mental health disorder"

Note:  Defining mental health as a positive attribute is not invalid. There are lots of different definitions for mental health, and the World Health Organisation defines mental health in a way that shows it as a positive attribute. However, given the specificity with which VCAA has defined mental health in the study design, I would be cautious using any approach that isn't theirs.

Thank you both :)

Mod edit: Merged double post
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:43:00 pm by miniturtle »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1134 on: June 30, 2018, 05:22:08 pm »
Research Methods Question:
Are self reports a separate method of research to experimental research?

Because some resources conder them "non-experimental methods of research", whereas other resources consider them methods of data collection (which can be used to collect data in an experiment). This really confuses me, because it makes sense to consider as both.  For example someone could design an experiment where they control and manipulate variables as well as use random allocation to devise a control and experimental group and then use a self-report to measure the effect of the IV on the  DV. Or someone could design a non-experimental research procedure where they use a self report to collect data- like an online survey or something. But it wouldn't be an experiment bc of the uncontrolled variables, not manipulate an IV, and not meet the qualifications of experimental research. So which is right? sorry if I confuse anyone, it kind of confuses me :P

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but  yes self reporting can be a method of data collection  and can be included as part of an experiment (talk about the limitations it has if this pops up in a question, such as subjectivity and the possibility that people will lie to make themselves look better etc. & if relevant also talk about the pros).

You are also correct that an experiment is defined by measuring the impact of changing the IV on the DV & controlling other variables

Thank you both :)

you're welcome :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:41:03 pm by miniturtle »

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1135 on: June 30, 2018, 07:37:08 pm »
Thanks for the clarification!
 -but just one more thing. In the study design (key knowledge for unit 4 aos 3), this is one of the dot-points: the characteristics of scientific research methodologies and techniques of primary qualitative and quantitative data collection relevant to the selected investigation: experiments, self-reports, questionnaires, interviews and/ or use of rating scales; reliability and validity of data; and minimisation of experimental bias and confounding and extraneous variables

What i'm confused about is: is VCAA suggesting that experiments are distinct and different to self reports? Because many resources give the idea that self reports are methods of data collection that can be employed in the procedure/data collection process of an experiment (so are still part of an experiment) 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1136 on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:28 pm »
Thanks for the clarification!
 -but just one more thing. In the study design (key knowledge for unit 4 aos 3), this is one of the dot-points: the characteristics of scientific research methodologies and techniques of primary qualitative and quantitative data collection relevant to the selected investigation: experiments, self-reports, questionnaires, interviews and/ or use of rating scales; reliability and validity of data; and minimisation of experimental bias and confounding and extraneous variables

What i'm confused about is: is VCAA suggesting that experiments are distinct and different to self reports? Because many resources give the idea that self reports are methods of data collection that can be employed in the procedure/data collection process of an experiment (so are still part of an experiment) 

Experiments and self reports aren't the same thing, but that doesn't make them mutually exclusive.

So you can use an experiment with self reporting to collect data and it is also possible to use an experiment without self reports and it is also possible to use self reporting alone.

You're welcome!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1137 on: July 14, 2018, 06:23:17 pm »
Hey guys! I just wanted to see what people would write in response to this question:

"Name one neurotransmitter involved in memory formation." (1 mark)

I have my answer but it didn't match the given solutions so I just wanted to see if it was just a difference in study design maybe?
Thanks!!
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1138 on: July 14, 2018, 08:54:15 pm »
Hey guys! I just wanted to see what people would write in response to this question:

"Name one neurotransmitter involved in memory formation." (1 mark)

I have my answer but it didn't match the given solutions so I just wanted to see if it was just a difference in study design maybe?
Thanks!!

The most apparent one is probably glutamate, but other answers such as adrenaline/epinephrine could also work

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1139 on: July 14, 2018, 10:06:45 pm »
+1
Okay great, that's what I put  :) The answers said acetylcholine, which I guess makes sense because reduced levels are associated with Alzheimers. This question was from 2016 though.
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.