Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:23:56 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475696 times)  Share 

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1290 on: October 26, 2018, 04:32:18 pm »
+1
I'm uploading docs I've made to this post which I hope can help :)

The demonstration of it would not be a memory, however there are conditioned memories associated with phobias.

Both are unconscious responses

ur notes are amazing miniturtle!! :)

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1291 on: October 26, 2018, 05:11:05 pm »
+2
Standard deviation refers to how spread the data is around the central value (Mean). Therefore if you have a large standard deviation this means you have a large range of variability in the results. This reduces reliability because it decreases likelihood that if experiment were to be repeated again similar results would be produced.
Furthermore, a large sd could suggest there is not a relationship between the two variables

I think KiNSKi01 adressed the first part of your question really well, but I just wanted to add something to your second question. If you have a look at the key science skills there is a dot point that says something like 'explain the merit of replicating procedures and the effect of sample sizes in obtaining reliable data' So I think while sample size is related to external validitity the SD wants us to focus on large samples in relation to reliability. Furthermore, the two are related, as in something cannot be externally valid without being reliable. And controlling confounding variables (which is what a large sample size does - or attempts to do) is an important part of both validity and reliability.

Thanks guys!!  :D
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1292 on: October 26, 2018, 05:44:37 pm »
+5
"the interactions between specific regions of the brain (cerebral cortex, hippocampus, amygdala and cerebellum) in the storage of long-term memories, including implicit and explicit memories"
can someone please provide me with an explanation of this dot point? i cant seem to understand it no matter how much i try :'(

I think the text books all did a really bad job at explaining this dotpoint :( so i'll try to help give you a summary of only the stuff you need!

1/ Long term memory can be subcategorized into two types of memory
-implcit memories: which are  long term memories that are unconsciously retrieved, and involve all of the behaviours, habbits and responses, skills that can usually only be expressed as actions.
implicit memories include procedural memories:  memories that enable us to carry out tasks without conscious effort
they can also include classically conditioned responses, and implicit emotional responses

-explicit memories are long term memories of facts, knowledge of information that is consciously and intentionally retrieved
- can be semantic: explicit  memories that are impersonal
-episodic: memories that are personally significant and considered 'auto biographical'

2/ interactions between brain regions:

formation of explicit memories
The hippocampus (located in the medial temporal lobe) consolidates explicit semantic and episodic memories, by transferring this information from short term memory to long term memory. The hippocampus interacts with the cerebral cortex as it transfers explicit long term memories to this brain region. The cerebral cortext is therefore involved in the long term storage of explicit episodic and semantic memories.

formation of implicit memories
the cerebellum is involved in the consolidation and long term storage of implicit memories such as procedural memories as well as classically conditioned memories. This brain region interacts with the basal ganglia- the striatum in particular, in order to consolidate and store implicit memories.

formation of emotionally arousing memories (which have an implicit emotional component as well as an explicit episodic component)

When released into the brain following an emotionally arousing experience, noradrenaline activates the amygdala. The amygdala registers the experience as significant, activating the nearby hippocampus, as the two brain structures interact and work together to consolidate the emotionally arousing memory- however none are particularly a site of storage. The amygdala consolidates the implicit emotional component of the memory, while the hippocampus will consolidate the explicit episodic component of the event, the hippocampus will then interact with the cerebral cortex, so that the cerebral cortex permanently stores the episodic component of the emotionally arousing memory.

evidence for the existence of different types of LTMs and the fact that different brain regions have different memory functions stems from research into case studies of individuals who have sustained damage to a particular region of the brain.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:58:01 pm by studyingg »

fl982

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1293 on: October 26, 2018, 06:14:18 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I know declarative memories are consolidated in the hippocampus, and transferred over to the cerebral cortex for long-term storage. Is this also the same for implicit memories, in that they are consolidated in the cerebellum then transferred for storage in the cerebral cortex or are they also stored in the cerebellum?

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1294 on: October 26, 2018, 06:39:48 pm »
+5
Hey guys,

I know declarative memories are consolidated in the hippocampus, and transferred over to the cerebral cortex for long-term storage. Is this also the same for implicit memories, in that they are consolidated in the cerebellum then transferred for storage in the cerebral cortex or are they also stored in the cerebellum?

also stored in the cerebellum, check last years exam question no. 27 which asks this question.

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1295 on: October 27, 2018, 08:21:57 am »
guys if this were to include a column about observational learning, im kind of stuck for the third one...

acquisition:  The response is learnt by observing the actions and consequences of the behaviour of a model
nature of the response:  volountary, intentional (involving cns)
timing of stimulis and response: ????
spontaneous recovery: does not apply to observational learning (?)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1296 on: October 27, 2018, 12:53:17 pm »
+3
guys if this were to include a column about observational learning, im kind of stuck for the third one...

acquisition:  The response is learnt by observing the actions and consequences of the behaviour of a model
nature of the response:  volountary, intentional (involving cns)
timing of stimulis and response: ????
spontaneous recovery: does not apply to observational learning (?)

I'm a wary about using "involving CNS" to define being intentional since the CNS is also involved in classical conditioning (ie CC memories as a subset of implicit memory).

In observational learning the timing of the stimulus and response can vary.

I see no reason why you couldn't have spontaneous recovery for a vicariously conditioned response acquired through observational learning

Hope this helps :)

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1297 on: October 27, 2018, 01:42:05 pm »
+1
I'm a wary about using "involving CNS" to define being intentional since the CNS is also involved in classical conditioning (ie CC memories as a subset of implicit memory).

In observational learning the timing of the stimulus and response can vary.

I see no reason why you couldn't have spontaneous recovery for a vicariously conditioned response acquired through observational learning

Hope this helps :)

yeah tbh, I wouldn't usually include it but it's in the table from the VCAA question, i'm not sure how accurate it is to this study design though honestly.
just to expand on the 'vary' thing, for Observational learning, do we consider the stimulis as the behaviour of the model? And could you say something like, the timing can vary, because it is possible for a response to occur at any time after observing the model, given the opportunity to demonstrate the behaviour, additionally, according to this learning theory it is possible that the response would potentially never be demonstrated?

Thank you for the clarifications :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1298 on: October 27, 2018, 03:31:27 pm »
+1
yeah tbh, I wouldn't usually include it but it's in the table from the VCAA question, i'm not sure how accurate it is to this study design though honestly.
just to expand on the 'vary' thing, for Observational learning, do we consider the stimulis as the behaviour of the model? And could you say something like, the timing can vary, because it is possible for a response to occur at any time after observing the model, given the opportunity to demonstrate the behaviour, additionally, according to this learning theory it is possible that the response would potentially never be demonstrated?

Thank you for the clarifications :)

No problem at all!

Your understanding of behaviour expression in OL is good, but I think that here the stimulus would be the environmental prompt which triggers response. Eg. if the model was a tennis player the stimulus might be being given a tennis racket (in this context presentation of the stimulus occurs after retention and before reproduction).

(Still relevant that the mental representation of the model's behaviour will never be converted into action)

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1299 on: October 27, 2018, 03:55:23 pm »
+1
No problem at all!

Your understanding of behaviour expression in OL is good, but I think that here the stimulus would be the environmental prompt which triggers response. Eg. if the model was a tennis player the stimulus might be being given a tennis racket (in this context presentation of the stimulus occurs after retention and before reproduction).

(Still relevant that the mental representation of the model's behaviour will never be converted into action)

Ohhhh I see, that makes sense! Thanks again!

fl982

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1300 on: October 27, 2018, 10:42:08 pm »
Hey guys,
What are some examples on the effects of partial sleep deprivation on behavioural and cognitive function?
Im struggling to think of a examples for each

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1301 on: October 28, 2018, 12:01:48 am »
+4
Behavioural= reduced coordination, reduced balance, microsleep

Cognitive= Impaired memory, impaired decision making, impaired problem solving
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Balfe

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #1302 on: October 28, 2018, 09:01:04 am »
Hi,
I was just wondering where clasically conditioned memories are formed and stored? Is it the cerebellum because they are a form of implicit memory?
2017 - Present: Admin @ VCE DiscussionSpace on Facebook
2018: Psychology [50]
2019: English Language [50], Legal Studies [50], Mathematical Methods [49], Economics [48], French [48]
ATAR 99.95
2020 - 2023: Bachelor of Law (Jurisprudence) @ The University of Oxford

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1303 on: October 28, 2018, 10:16:13 am »
+2
Hi,
I was just wondering where clasically conditioned memories are formed and stored? Is it the cerebellum because they are a form of implicit memory?

Yep, you're right, in the cerebellum, there is an exception for classically conditioned fear responses which are formed as a result of the function of the amygdala

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1304 on: October 28, 2018, 05:05:49 pm »
heeyyyy

I know that relearning is the most sensitive measure of retention however I only have a vague idea on what sensitive refers to.

can someone please give me some clarity on what sensitivity means in relation to measure of retention. What key things should I say?

ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40