Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:58:47 pm

Author Topic: Getting into UMEP without required A/A+ average?  (Read 2223 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Getting into UMEP without required A/A+ average?
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:21:40 pm »
Question from a member:

Hey, I'm interested in doing UMEP Biology, however I only managed a B+ in my mid-year exam and I am averaging in SACs. There are A/A+ grade requirements. What are the chances of me getting in? I really want to drop Physics for it and I find Biology quite interesting. Got any good advice? I'm thinking of sending a letter but is this a good idea? Or will it jeopardise my chances even further?
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Re: Getting into UMEP without required A/A+ average?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:36:58 pm »
It won't jeoparidse your chances if you call them up and ask them about it, but i doubt you'll get into the UMEP Biology course if your not obtaining the A/A+ average, that IS why they have said that. Nevertheless, call them tomorrow or so and ask.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:52:22 pm »
Question from a member:

Hey, I'm interested in doing UMEP Biology, however I only managed a B+ in my mid-year exam and I am averaging in SACs. There are A/A+ grade requirements. What are the chances of me getting in? I really want to drop Physics for it and I find Biology quite interesting. Got any good advice? I'm thinking of sending a letter but is this a good idea? Or will it jeopardise my chances even further?
Not going to be easy, but worth a try. Though I should add, the possibility of gaining entry to a monash enhancement course will be much much easier than a melbourne extension program.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:50:04 pm »
If there was considerable improvement on the end of year exam (as in, at least an A, probably an A+) then that would be fine, otherwise it's hard to say. Apply anyway though, and apply to MUEP too. It would also help a lot if all of your year 11 marks are high.

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »
Trust me MUEP is alot easier to get into i know people who 32+ RAW for subjects such as accounting,chem,bio, maths unit 3/4 also they kinda average throughout the year for their year 11 subs (B's-A's) and they got into MUEP however, the costs is probably a factor and also the timing the lessons are held and also the location.

Do your own research for these places and look through the coursework to see if it overlaps with your vce knowledge.   

geenarhh

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:05 pm »
I had really average grades in my year 11 report - Bs, B+s etc, but I still got into muep accounting - the study score might have helped though, i got 44 raw =/
but i don't think its really that hard - i know one of the guys in my tute got 37 (:
you might as well try, because for unimelb it's free to apply anyway.