Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:54:51 pm

Author Topic: Explanation on a couple of prac exam questions  (Read 27337 times)  Share 

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Re: Explanation on a couple of prac exam questions
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2010, 02:39:03 pm »
two or more stimuli :)
yep, but what are these specific stimuli called?

Sorry to interupt.
I think its better to say.

" In classical conditioning there is repeated or successive pairings of the NEUTRAL stimulus and the UCS" , thus after the acquisition period , the NS becomes the CS which elicits a CR.

I have actually learnt, that when the NS is paired with the UCS it is called the CS.
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2010, 03:17:22 pm »

Sorry to interupt.

" In classical conditioning there is repeated or successive pairings of the NEUTRAL stimulus and the UCS" , thus after the acquisition period , the NS becomes the CS which elicits a CR.

I have actually learnt, that when the NS is paired with the UCS it is called the CS.

I also learned that originally.
Then i found out ... Its actually ONLY the CS after its been paired and can bring about a CR.

USUALLY though , to get rid of confusion .. vcaa just ask

q1. what 2 stimuli are paired

Ans : The cs and the ucs.

But in a SA question. Just to get rid of the "confusion" its probably better to say.
the NS is originally paired with the UCS and so , after a period of aquisition , the NS becomes the CS and thus elicits a CR.
2009 : Physical Education
2010  ATAR : 91.45 , Bio , Chem , Methods , Psychology , English
Completed VCE at the age of 16.
2011 : Bachelor of pharmacy
2012 : Hopefully med? " crosses fingers"

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2010, 03:28:19 pm »
But in a SA question. Just to get rid of the "confusion" its probably better to say.
the NS is originally paired with the UCS and so , after a period of aquisition , the NS becomes the CS and thus elicits a CR.

YEYA BOY.
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

studying_hard

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2010, 04:28:11 pm »
is deception used in the Little Albert experiment?

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm an art student at heart, can't you tell?
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2010, 05:01:22 pm »
deception is barely relevant for little albert as the parent of little albert wasn't only deceived as to what the research involved, she had no idea at all.

so informed consent is more important to look at because without that being sufficed deception can't even come into it.

informed consent
debriefing (there was no removal of the conditioned response)
no harm principle
withdrawal rights

would all be much easier to look at or explain in reference to little albert.
2010: Chem, Lit, Bio, Psych and Further.
201_: Postgraduate Medicine...

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »

Sorry to interupt.

Then i found out ... Its actually ONLY the CS after its been paired and can bring about a CR.

haha, that's what I thought originally, but my teacher informed me that I was wrong...
I guess I'm going to have to check a few different sources.

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2010, 07:16:27 pm »

Sorry to interupt.

haha, that's what I thought originally, but my teacher informed me that I was wrong...

Wait? lol wtf are you arguing? . lol sorry man . im lost.

It says in the gravias textbook that the NS becomes the CS after repeated pairings with the UCS ( through which acquisition has occurred).

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2010, 07:29:37 pm »

Sorry to interupt.

It says in the gravias textbook that the NS becomes the CS after repeated pairings with the UCS ( through which acquisition has occurred).

no I'm not arguing, I was trying to state that I'm unsure now...
I have heard a few different opinions, and I'm going to check a few text books to see if the agree.

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2010, 10:29:25 am »
Neutral Stimulus=One that produces no relevant response.

Conditioned Stimulus=A previously neutral stimulus that now elicits a conditioned response due to repeated pairings with the unconditioned stimulus.
The implication in the definition of a conditioned stimulus is that the pairings occurred in the PAST, during Acquisition. Acquisition is the process wherein the Neutral Stimulus is BEING ConditionED; present tense, verb.
It does not actually become a CONDITIONED STIMULUS until the repeated pairings have been made to form an association between the UCS and NS(but soon to be, CS). Until then, it is simply a neutral stimulus undergoing conditioning.

It's like putting conditioner in your hair :P
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2010, 06:31:06 pm »

vcaa will specify whether the question refers to before or after the stage of acquisition.
before = ns
after = cs.

if they don't specify that then the chief examiner will get a million calls from irritated psych teachers and give everyone the mark.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2010, 10:19:32 pm »
i dont get the whole placebo thing...

is placebo used to prevent placebo effect???im confused T.T

they're not gonna ask in detail about placebo in the exam right?

:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2010, 10:54:39 pm »
i dont get the whole placebo thing...

is placebo used to prevent placebo effect???im confused T.T

they're not gonna ask in detail about placebo in the exam right?

there could be a question on it in research methods so it'd be best to have a decent understanding of it.

The Placebo Effect = the tendency for participants who are aware they are in the experiment group to influence the actual results themselves as to how they believe the IV should.
(ie. a study on caffiene, the people in the experiment group know they are getting caffeine and because of this actually act more hyper than the caffeine would naturally make them, influencing the results)
(my definition there is terrible, look up a better one...i just can't be bothered finding my book right now :P)

A Placebo = an imitation of the IV that has no effect (ie. imagine the IV were an ecstasy pill, the placebo would just be a sugar pill)

SO,
to counteract the placebo effect ALL participants are given what they think is the IV (so they'd all be given pills, but some would contain the IV while some were simply sugar pills) and are not made aware whether they are in the experimental or control group.

Therefore the participants would all influence their own results equally, counteracting any imbalance caused by the placebo effect.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »

Sorry to interupt.

hey you were right, about the NS being paired with the UCS...
I thought my teacher said something else, but it turns out I must have seen the cs + ucs thing somewhere else..
I'm glad I foudn the right answer before it was too late...

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »
Neap 2008
question 8. according to the consolidation through, the transfer of information from
A STM to LTM occurs gradually
B STM to LTM occurs within 20 seconds
C sensory to STM occurs within 20 seconds
D working memory to LTM usually occurs after 30 minutes

In my reading I haven't came across consolidation theory mentioning working memory specifically, and I have read that the consolidation of information is gradual. don't know what NEAP says the answer was, but I at first chose A, then changed it to D as I thought "the more specific the better" - what would other people do if such a question came up in the exam?

Question 12. Hailey is studying spanish as a second language at VCE. This knowledge will be stored in her ____________ memory
A semantic
B episodic
C working
D procedural

I at first chose semantic, but again changed my answer to procedural. My reasoning behind it was that declarative memory was "knowing that" and procedural memory was "knowing how". my second decision makes less sense now, but she is learning how to speak another language. it's one of those shifty questions it seems

Question 21. Both the method of loci and narrative chaining use __________ to improve memory
A locations
B stories
C imagery
D abbreviations

I chose B as the method of loci requires you to go through the locations in order, kind of like a story which makes more sense to me than all the other answers. if not that, it likely would have been C as A and B describe what each does specifically.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »
Neap 2008
question 8. according to the consolidation through, the transfer of information from
A STM to LTM occurs gradually
B STM to LTM occurs within 20 seconds
C sensory to STM occurs within 20 seconds
D working memory to LTM usually occurs after 30 minutes

In my reading I haven't came across consolidation theory mentioning working memory specifically, and I have read that the consolidation of information is gradual. don't know what NEAP says the answer was, but I at first chose A, then changed it to D as I thought "the more specific the better" - what would other people do if such a question came up in the exam?

Question 12. Hailey is studying spanish as a second language at VCE. This knowledge will be stored in her ____________ memory
A semantic
B episodic
C working
D procedural

I at first chose semantic, but again changed my answer to procedural. My reasoning behind it was that declarative memory was "knowing that" and procedural memory was "knowing how". my second decision makes less sense now, but she is learning how to speak another language. it's one of those shifty questions it seems

Question 21. Both the method of loci and narrative chaining use __________ to improve memory
A locations
B stories
C imagery
D abbreviations

I chose B as the method of loci requires you to go through the locations in order, kind of like a story which makes more sense to me than all the other answers. if not that, it likely would have been C as A and B describe what each does specifically.

28 is A.
This is because its not transferred from WM to LTM .. its transferred from SHORT TERM... they are almost the same . but they are not EXACTLY the same .. make sure u dont fall for that trap in the exam.
also .. consolidation is  GRADUAL process. So dont forget that.

12 Your right .. its a "shifty" question.
however. Semantic memory = the general knowledge of the world.
Languages are under that category. its not the memory of HOW TO SPEAK the language .. or HOW TO PRODUCE SOUND .. its the sheer fact of remembering the language .. . thus semantic seems right.

q21
The answer "should" be C.
They both use elaboration which includes VISUALIZATION and imagery to mentally associate information in order. either in a story , or attached to landmarks in a common path.
The person uses visualization/imagery to make them occur.

hope that helps