Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 12:51:48 pm

Author Topic: 2013 Exam Prep Questions Thread - Mod Assistance. Post questions in here.  (Read 38574 times)  Share 

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: 2013 Exam Prep Questions Thread - Mod Assistance. Post questions in here.
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »
The advantage of underlining/using a different colour is that the title won't get confused with a quote (although this only would become an issue if you used the title in the body of your text response - this is something that I, and I assume most people, don't do). For example, 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is both the title of a text, but also part of an important quote in the text. It could be a little unclear if you used that quote in your body, particularly depending on how the whole sentence is phrased.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2013, 06:05:23 pm »
+1
The advantage of underlining/using a different colour is that the title won't get confused with a quote (although this only would become an issue if you used the title in the body of your text response - this is something that I, and I assume most people, don't do). For example, 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is both the title of a text, but also part of an important quote in the text. It could be a little unclear if you used that quote in your body, particularly depending on how the whole sentence is phrased.
Don't take this for granted, but I personally would never use another colour. Looks a bit tacky.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Romaboy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Beaconhills College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2013, 07:44:40 pm »
What is a good expository form that allows you to solely discuss things related to the book/film similar to a text response or something for context?
Bachelor of Software Engineering [Monash University]

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2013, 10:03:34 pm »
+1
Just about exactly 7.5 days til your English exam guys :)

Can't offer much in the way of Context advice (unless you write short-stories), but I know a thing or two about Section A and C, so that makes like... three really good past students in this thread to generate some decent discussion :).

SO ASK QUESTIONS OK BYE

Edit: Shut up.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:18:24 pm by Brencookie »
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:05 pm »
+2
Just about exactly 7.5 hours til your English exam guys :)

Are you sure? :P

I don't mind chipping in with my own mediocre advice if the right question comes up :D

simba

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »

:|

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:58 pm »
What is a good expository form that allows you to solely discuss things related to the book/film similar to a text response or something for context?

If you want to do something slightly more original rather than an essay, maybe an interview with the author or a character?

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm having big trouble with the Language Analysis on the VCAA 2011 paper (about tattoos). I don't think it's persuasive at all! It just looks like a big informative piece to me, so I'm having a really difficult time attempting to analyze it.

Would you be able to help me with the main points / topic sentences?

Here's a link to the actual paper (off another one of the threads here)
http://imgur.com/a/xT1Yh#FVSJl

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah it was a terrible piece.

Plenty of discussion on it here to peruse over: Language Analysis: First Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:19:58 pm by pi »

abcdqd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:54 pm »
Looks like final assembly takes precedence at MHS :/. Byebye 95 median ATAR  :(
2012-2013: VCE, Melbourne High School

2014-2016: Bachelor of Commerce, Actuarial Studies, University of Melbourne

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2013, 10:22:56 pm »
+1
Looks like final assembly takes precedence at MHS

off-topic
Have fun! :D

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2013, 05:48:25 pm »
Just about exactly 7.5 days til your English exam guys :)

Just did another gruelling 3 hour Engage practice exam at school. My hand has officially been contorted (that's right - contorted). Found myself struggling with language analysis, and there might have been a few instances where I waffled on about all and sundry; half my mind was occupied with thoughts about ice-cream, and the other half was trying to derive something intelligible about of the word 'colossal'...so yeah. A grim experience if I ever had one.
But then it's always like this. The last section I do in the exam tends to fall to pieces, because I'm just so exhausted. Preventative? Cure?
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2013, 05:57:12 pm »
+3
Alright, on the psychological side of things: get a good sleep and have a mad breakfast. I also drank an absolute truck load of water for two days before the exam just to make sure I was fully hydrated (also downed a bottle as I woke up to make up for water lost during sleep) - also didn't want to waste time going to the toilet so yeah, hydrated beforehand. Eat some porridge (this is advice for ANY exam) or tuna  and avoid caffeine or High-Gi foods (you don't want to hit your 'low' during the exam, and if you eat low-Gi foods before your exam, hopefully your body will still be eating the energy you have it by the third hour.

On the hand thing: do you stress in your exam enough that you hold your pen really tight? I write quite cursively, so for me it's all in the wrist.  I found that as I got closer to 60minutes, that's when I wrote fastest because I was most hurried, and that's when my hand tigtened. I mean, I can write just as fast without tightening, it was just a side effect of the tension. So, even if you're under pressure, don't tense up your hand - keep it fluid. I also spent like 90 or so seconds in between essays taking a sip of water and shaking out my hand just to collect my thoughts.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
Eugh the hand is the biggest issue I'm afraid of. I think it's cos my hand's small and so is my handwriting, and I tend to write really fast so when combined it doesn't work well.. Mid way through the 3 hours it'll start to hurt, especially at the thumb and my knuckles because if the cramped position of my hand for a long period.. Then towards the end of the exam the muscles in my forearm are just hurting so badly and it makes it hard for me to write. Even though nothing drastic has happened to my actual essays because of it, I don't want it to happen next wednesday so I might go to a pharmacy and ask them for some medication/cream and padded bandaids for my inner thumb
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »
+4
I think you'll find that once in the exam, you'll be fine. A lot of people stress out a lot going into it with their concern being that they won't have enough time or that their hand will cramp and fall off or that the invigilator will spike their water with laxatives or VCAA has unenrolled them (honestly my main concern, what a waste of a year if so) etc etc. In reality, it'll actually go more or less like any other exam. The adrenaline will kick in (some people say it doesn't - 1) they're lying 2) they didn't care 3) they're too beast 4) they don't know what adrenaline is) and most people I know ended up finishing 5-10mins early with some time to read over things.

My 12 random tips:

Use your reading time wisely, make sure you've done at least all of the following:
1) Read the LA piece slowly and thoroughly
2) Chosen what book and topic for TR
3) Formulated a very basic idea of what you're writing for context

Definitely recommend the 90s or so break in between essays. Personally I took a break just before I started the conclusion of my LA (I left that para last in the whole exam as it doesn't mean much), and then after my next full essay. Chances are it'll only be in these breaks when you realise your hand is sore from writing or you're thirsty.

If you fill your drink bottle to only half-way, you're less likely to drink more and less likely to run off to the bathroom. Also, when your mouth is try you only need a sip: you're doing an exam not skulling the pot of beer that you're having after the exam.

Don't look at the person/people next to you. They may have a different exam strategy to you so focus on your own game. Also don't want to get in any trouble with the invigilators.

If your table is wonky or you can't see the clock because you're behind something (bring a watch if you can) report it before you start. The invigilators will help you out.

If you don't understand a word in the LA or in your topics/prompt, look it up in your dictionary (not dictionary+thesaurus!) during reading time. Don't waste time during the exam looking things up in the dictionary.

Once the exam has started, take it easy on the highlighting. I like to highlight key words, not key paragraphs. Don't spend more than 5mins doing this.

Keep plans short and to the point, don't have sentences in your plans. I say short because they don't count for marks at all, so don't spend too much time on them. My plans were something like (this one has a vague resemblance to Richard III):
Int
1 - Dicko is evil as shit and srsly cray, <scribble part of a few key quotes here>
2 - disses on women, <scribble part of a few key quotes here>
3 - women know the game too, <scribble part of a few key quotes here>, <arrow to quote from 1>
4 - etc.
Con
Takes about 3 mins if you've given it a little thought in reading time. I wrote bits of quotes so I remember to use them and used arrows to make some basic links.

Go to the toilet before the exam and make sure you don't have a phone etc etc with you.

Take some confidence in the fact that thousands upon thousands of students have survived the beast that is the English exam, the only ones evading it being the wusses who did Eng Lang and the crazy kids doing Lit. If they can do it, so can you :)

Use one colour pen (go with black, it's cool). You're writing an essay, not painting a rainbow.

Try and get there early. If you're on public transport, catch the earlier train/tram/bus. If you're from MGS/Scotch and commute via helicopter 1) Screw you I'm jealous 2) Arrange to fly a bit earlier. If you're running late LET THE SCHOOL KNOW. Call them up and tell them what's happening, keep them informed.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:50:23 pm by pi »

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »
^ thanks everyone.

What I was really getting at (however) was that... how do you remain on target for the last essay? I was tired and did some VERY stupid things, like saying Australia wants a "Communist Monarchy" to govern in my conclusion :/  -- how ridiculous is that !!   
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »
^ thanks everyone.

What I was really getting at (however) was that... how do you remain on target for the last essay? I was tired and did some VERY stupid things, like saying Australia wants a "Communist Monarchy" to govern in my conclusion :/  -- how ridiculous is that !!   

It's highly likely you won't feel tired during the English exam :P

Did you have time to check over things? If you write something silly and pick it up in proof-reading it's nothing to worry about. (heck, I spelt  "tattoo" wrong about 30 times in my LA and only picked it up at the end, mad frenzy to add an extra "t" everywhere)