Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:59:51 am

Author Topic: State sovereignty in assisting or impeding world order - Essay help!!!!  (Read 3926 times)  Share 

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Hey everyone, I'm currently preparing an essay for the question called: "Discuss how state sovereignty can assist or impede the resolution of world order issues."   I have decided that in my essay I will be focusing on treaties, the role of the UN and the R2P. I've done the body paragraphs for treaties and the UN, however, I am stuck on what to write for R2P. I've mentioned how R2P can encourage cooperation among states, however I want to write a limitation for R2P and I don't know what else to write!!!
I want to give this essay in by tomorrow for my teacher to mark, so any help would be appreciated!!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: State sovereignty in assisting or impeding world order - Essay help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:13:14 pm »
+2
Hey everyone, I'm currently preparing an essay for the question called: "Discuss how state sovereignty can assist or impede the resolution of world order issues."   I have decided that in my essay I will be focusing on treaties, the role of the UN and the R2P. I've done the body paragraphs for treaties and the UN, however, I am stuck on what to write for R2P. I've mentioned how R2P can encourage cooperation among states, however I want to write a limitation for R2P and I don't know what else to write!!!
I want to give this essay in by tomorrow for my teacher to mark, so any help would be appreciated!!!

I remembered this that I used during my own HSC because I struggled to understand how RP2 was used in practice. It's a lot to read but I just searched for key words and looked at the case studies.

Paradoxically, the right to protect is seen as both a re-enforcement, and infringement, on state sovereignty. This is part of the limitation, the fact that it is controversial and you can bring in a case study here by assessing it's effectiveness in the face of controversy. So, a state has the right to do what is in the best interests of its nation. Other states, have the right and RESPONSIBILITY to maintain peace. It is argued that when other states interfere with the running of other states, it is an infringement on state sovereignty. Similarly, it's argued that if a state is letting human rights atrocities to occur, it is not fulfilling its responsibility as a state, and therefore other states must interact. So this paradoxical expression of what state sovereignty is, is very important in the discussion of effectiveness.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!