Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:40:18 pm

Author Topic: Help with deciding which Uni for B.Sc (UoM vs Monash) & SOCIALLY!  (Read 879 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
UoM is only an hour away wheras Monash is 1 hour 50 away- in both cases I’d move to near the uni.

Which science course would be preferable.? I’ve looked extensively through the majors and electives etc and would like to (at this point at least) major in immunology which both uni’s have.

I just don’t wanna go somewhere full of unfriendly people. I went to Monash today for a tour and the buildings are very modern and they just seem friendlier. UoM is so much older and the environment just doesn’t seem nice- I’m worried everyone will be unfriendly and maybe slightly up themselves because of the “prestige”? That may not be true but it’s what everyone says :(

I really want uni to be a postive experiences. There are nice people in the world but I just need to find them!

Disclaimer
I know there are unfriendly people everywhere you go, it’s just nice if they aren’t the majority- you know? I’ve had some bad experiences with that, So please don’t say this  :)
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
Re: Help with deciding which Uni for B.Sc (UoM vs Monash) & SOCIALLY!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:41:26 pm »
+3
Hey,

Unimelb student here. Social-wise, I think both unis should be similar - heard plenty of positive experiences from Monash, and have had a pretty positive experience myself at Unimelb too (and Unimelb friends who share similar positive experiences)!

I can understand why you may find the Unimelb environment a bit 'unfriendly' - I guess it's the old buildings that give it a bit of a 'cold' feel. But the people are actually really nice and approachable! And there's a wide variety of clubs too, and many social events like parties which many people enjoy. Personally I am not a social person, and haven't really experienced much of the social side of uni, but my friends seem to really enjoy it and have fun. That saying, I personally enjoy uni way more than high school, because I feel I can be the person I want to be without the pressure of peers/teachers.

Coursewise, I think Unimelb and Monash are also quite similar. Both offer a lot of flexibility, which is great (tho in Monash you don't have to do breadth subjects if you don't want to). Looking at the first year curriculum, IMO Monash looks more interesting content-wise, but Unimelb is still decent. That saying, 2nd and 3rd year at Unimelb are awesome because you pick more specific subjects which have really interesting content!

Since you're interested in doing an Immunology major, from what I've read, both the Unimelb and Monash curriculum look very similar, but Monash does seem to take a more clinical-based approach, which sounds very interesting. I'm sorry I can't give much info, so it would be more preferable if someone majoring in Immuno at either Monash or Unimelb could offer to give some advice! 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:21:46 pm by waterangel82 »
2017 ATAR: 99.20

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Help with deciding which Uni for B.Sc (UoM vs Monash) & SOCIALLY!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 06:23:49 pm »
+3
Asked a friend of mine who is currently studying Imm at Monash:

Monash is generally very friendly, as the current student association tries hard to promote campus life. Obviously at the moment things are very different.

In terms of Immunology, some lecturers and unit coordinators are friendlier than others, but the coursework in my opinion is high quality. My TAs have been particularly good in Immunology, with some standout cases truly going above and beyond for their students. I unfortunately can't give you a comparison to unimelb but I will say that in general Monash has nicer/newer facilities.