Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 07:02:09 am

Author Topic: "Difficult circumstances"  (Read 1800 times)  Share 

Incarnadine2012

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
"Difficult circumstances"
« on: November 03, 2021, 02:33:41 pm »
+1
Hi all, with exam season coming to a close I've just got one query I've had in the back of my head that I haven't been able to solve, and has been causing me some distress. In the November of 2019 my mum passed away from cancer after it had eaten away at her for just over a year. Ive applied for SEAS difficult circumstances about this, holding onto the hope of being considered for access Melbourne. Unfortunately, UniMelb's resources for difficult circumstances seem to be.... lacking to say the least. Just wondering if this would be a strong case for consideration or if I'm boned because its not financial difficulties/rural area related?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: "Difficult circumstances"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 05:06:22 pm »
+3
Condolences for your mother’s passing and sorry that you had to go through such a difficult situation, incarnadine2012.

The criteria for difficult circumstances for Access Melbourne are as follows:
Quote from: Access Melbourne
Difficult circumstances

You are eligible for Access Melbourne consideration if you meet all of the below criteria:

You have been prevented from reaching your full educational potential because of family or other life circumstances; and
These circumstances have had a long-term impact.
To apply for this Access Melbourne category, submit a SEAS application via VTAC under SEAS Category 4: Difficult circumstances.
as found here
As such, I would think it should count as “difficult circumstances”, as this would’ve impacted on your own well-being and mental health over a long term period, as well as was a family (or other life) circumstance. As long as you’ve explained this in your personal statement, I think you’ve got a strong case on your hands.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Incarnadine2012

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: "Difficult circumstances"
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 05:44:17 pm »
+1
ah thanks heaps AngelWings! that does give me more of a piece of mind! happy holidays to you :)