Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:37:26 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475696 times)  Share 

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1050 on: February 06, 2018, 06:28:19 pm »
+2
Apparently the p-value and statistical significance are not included on the new study design, so your teacher is not teaching you updated information.
In the old study design, you would incorporate the p-value into your answer by saying something like "as the p-value was found to be less than 0.05 (meaning that the possibility that the DV was caused by values other than the IV was less than 5/100), the results can be determined to be statistically significant and therefore a conclusion can be drawn [and a generalisation can be made to the population]".
My memory is a little scratchy but that was the gist of it.
In any case, the question actually needs to state the p-value if you are to refer to it. From what I can see, this question does not. If it does, it must be an outdated question.

Good luck!
So I guess ill have to mention it for my SACS but not on the vcaa exam
Thanks sarangiya and good luck to you too!

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #1051 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »
+1
So I guess ill have to mention it for my SACS but not on the vcaa exam
Thanks sarangiya and good luck to you too!
I'd ask them/argue it. SACs are meant to assess understanding of the Areas of Study in the current study design.
Otherwise I guess it's fine? idk. Just my opinion.
Thank you!! :)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1052 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:59 pm »
+3
I'd ask them/argue it. SACs are meant to assess understanding of the Areas of Study in the current study design.
Otherwise I guess it's fine? idk. Just my opinion.
Thank you!! :)

Nothing wrong with pointing out this study design change to your teacher - just obviously do what they want you to in the SACs

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1053 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:26 am »
Hey. I just wanted to check if it is definitely the sympathetic nervous system that activates the HPA axis when you need to deal with a stressor over a prolonged period of time. The question is : Explain the role of the sympathetic nervous system in stage 3 of the GAS.
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1054 on: February 14, 2018, 07:07:50 pm »
Hey. I just wanted to check if it is definitely the sympathetic nervous system that activates the HPA axis when you need to deal with a stressor over a prolonged period of time. The question is : Explain the role of the sympathetic nervous system in stage 3 of the GAS.
Yes it does. The first secretion of cortisol is released in Stage 1: Alarm - Countershock, but apparently autonomic nervous system symptoms reappear in Stage 3: Exhaustion, which suggest that the sympathetic nervous system may release another secretion of cortisol etc. (which is initiated via the HPA axis)

♡ Subjects ♡
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1055 on: February 15, 2018, 09:04:14 pm »
+2
Yes it does. The first secretion of cortisol is released in Stage 1: Alarm - Countershock, but apparently autonomic nervous system symptoms reappear in Stage 3: Exhaustion, which suggest that the sympathetic nervous system may release another secretion of cortisol etc. (which is initiated via the HPA axis)

To clarify, symptoms first appear in Stage 2: resistance, but are worse in stage 3 due to the prolonged suppression of the immune system and exhaustion of physical and psychological resources.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1056 on: February 15, 2018, 11:38:25 pm »
To clarify, symptoms first appear in Stage 2: resistance, but are worse in stage 3 due to the prolonged suppression of the immune system and exhaustion of physical and psychological resources.
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks as always !
Actually I have a question as well.
Would you say that the symptoms occur is Stage 2 while the secretion happens in Stage 1 or were you implying that both start in Stage 2?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:50:40 pm by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1057 on: February 16, 2018, 08:17:22 am »
+3
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks as always !
Actually I have a question as well.
Would you say that the symptoms occur is Stage 2 while the secretion happens in Stage 1 or were you implying that both start in Stage 2?

All texts agree that adrenaline release is in stage 1 but some of them say cortisol is released at the same time whereas others say that cortisol is first released in stage 2.

Check with your teacher and the textbook your class is using for what to write in SACs

Whether cortisol is first released in stage 2 or not, definetely talk about cortisol release and the impacts of this (when applicable to the question).

(As far as I know/VCE is concerned) Symptoms don't occur immediately after release - cortisol's initial impact is positive

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1058 on: February 17, 2018, 04:07:22 pm »
All texts agree that adrenaline release is in stage 1 but some of them say cortisol is released at the same time whereas others say that cortisol is first released in stage 2.

Check with your teacher and the textbook your class is using for what to write in SACs

Whether cortisol is first released in stage 2 or not, definetely talk about cortisol release and the impacts of this (when applicable to the question).

(As far as I know/VCE is concerned) Symptoms don't occur immediately after release - cortisol's initial impact is positive
Awesome as always!
Thank you!!

♡ Subjects ♡

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1059 on: February 19, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »

Thanks!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1060 on: February 19, 2018, 07:25:21 pm »
I have another question.. :) What primarily determines whether or not a neurotransmitter will have an excitatory or inhibitory effect? In the textbook, it says "The effects of a neurotransmitter are not entirely caused by the chemical. Its
effects are also due to the receptor to which the neurotransmitter binds. The same neurotransmitter can be excitatory or inhibitory, depending on the properties of the receptor and on the receptor’s location in the brain." So is it primarily the chemical and binding is influential, or vice versa?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1061 on: February 19, 2018, 08:45:11 pm »
+1
I have another question.. :) What primarily determines whether or not a neurotransmitter will have an excitatory or inhibitory effect? In the textbook, it says "The effects of a neurotransmitter are not entirely caused by the chemical. Its
effects are also due to the receptor to which the neurotransmitter binds. The same neurotransmitter can be excitatory or inhibitory, depending on the properties of the receptor and on the receptor’s location in the brain." So is it primarily the chemical and binding is influential, or vice versa?

It's about the signal transduction pathway (note that the study design says that details about signal transduction are not required).

The neurotransmitter attaches to a receptor with complementary fit. This attachment causes the receptor to react - and its that receptor's reaction that will have an excitatory or inhibitory effect.

So the neurotransmitter's chemical shape is very important as this determines what receptors it will bind to - its what the receptor initiates in response to that which is the most important.

Hope this clarifies things a bit :)

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1062 on: February 20, 2018, 08:41:15 am »
It's about the signal transduction pathway (note that the study design says that details about signal transduction are not required).

The neurotransmitter attaches to a receptor with complementary fit. This attachment causes the receptor to react - and its that receptor's reaction that will have an excitatory or inhibitory effect.

So the neurotransmitter's chemical shape is very important as this determines what receptors it will bind to - its what the receptor initiates in response to that which is the most important.

Hope this clarifies things a bit :)
Ok thank you!!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1063 on: February 26, 2018, 08:01:02 pm »
Hi, was wondering why the answer to this question is B. I thought it would be D.

Thanks!

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1064 on: February 26, 2018, 08:14:08 pm »
That is a good question lol
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42