Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:43:02 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475658 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1365 on: October 31, 2018, 04:12:59 pm »
Thanks so much, Miniturtle.
Don't you have to minimise the amount you write for these extended responses though (that's what my teacher said (that otherwise they won't even bother to read past like 1 page))? And what do you think I would get for that, like 5-7 marks? How much should I write, because I know a lot about most of the topics and stuff (more so for sleep, less for ), but for like the interventions, I struggle a little more there. Also, how many examples should I have (did I do enough?) and what should I focus on most for these extended responses (since there isn't much time till the exam!!!)?

Hmmm... I don't know where your teacher is getting that from. My teacher was an examiner and I always went over a page, which they didn't see as negative at all.(In the 2017 exam I used the full space PLUS an extra page.) Especially since you organised yours into subheadings it's reader-friendly and not just a slab of text which makes it easy for them to read lots and not get lost or frustrated

I definitely think going into more info for sleep (particularly circadian rhythms) would be a good idea for that question. If you have relevant information I recommend you write it rather than focusing on using little space, just make sure if they give a direction of x number of ____ that you give them that many.

I understand that asking for a number can be comforting but imo getting a number back is counterproductive as even a good number fuels stress. I think you did fairly well; I also think there's some room for improvement.

it's past 4pm so if it was me I wouldn't be doing anymore papers. Unless you're very stressed by a topic and want to go over that, I'd recommend taking time aside to make sure you have nutritious food ready for tomorrow, drink plenty of water today and do things to help you destress (maybe go outside, do yoga or w/e ). Given the level that you're at, I think the best thing you can do is take care of your wellbeing so you can bring your best self into the exam tomorrow :) 

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1366 on: October 31, 2018, 05:46:11 pm »
Can someone please explain why in an ASC we perform better in complex tasks than simple tasks?

Probably non essential but still it would be great if someone could offer an explanation
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1367 on: October 31, 2018, 05:54:22 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain why in an ASC we perform better in complex tasks than simple tasks?

Probably non essential but still it would be great if someone could offer an explanation

Both complex and simple repetitive tasks suffer, but the simple ones suffer more.

Picture these two situations:
 - You have to write a proposal for a social activity at your school (complex)
 - You have to handwrite everyones names onto the invitations you've printed out (simple)

When you're writing the proposal you know you have to focus, and your actively thinking about it. In comparison, when your writing everyones names you probably fall into a rhythm and start getting distracted but other things. Since the task is easy, you don't worry so much about the fact that you're distracted and don't force yourself to focus

hope this helps :)

fruitbowl34

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1368 on: October 31, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »
During NREM sleep, what would it show when measured by a EOG and EMG? Thanks!

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1369 on: October 31, 2018, 06:40:18 pm »
+1
cheers miniturtle

Depends which stage of NREM sleep but generally speaking

EOG= Low levels of activity
EMG= Low levels of activity (decreases from NREM 1 to NREM 4)
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

dee1213

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1370 on: October 31, 2018, 06:55:12 pm »
+1

-When measured by an EOG in NREM sleep it would show very low electrical activities in the muscles that control eye movements, however our eyes DO NOT show any movements in stage3 of NREM.

-When measured by an EMG in NREM sleep it would show that the body does make some limited movements whilst sleep.

Hope this helps:)

Duelmaster22

• Adventurer
« Reply #1371 on: October 31, 2018, 07:49:02 pm »
Hey guys, where would you say classically conditioned fear responses are stored in the brain? Finding it really hard to find a straight answer. Thanks!

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1372 on: October 31, 2018, 07:59:21 pm »
Hey guys, where would you say classically conditioned fear responses are stored in the brain? Finding it really hard to find a straight answer. Thanks!

This is something I also find quite ambiguous. It is definitely not the amygdala, as indicated by 2016 and 2017 examination reports. I don't think that there is a specific site of storage for such a memory (but rather different brain structures interact)... then again, if there is a particular site, it's not in the study design so don't worry about it! I'd say just focus on the process of consolidating the emotional fear response (rather than storage)

good luck!

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1373 on: October 31, 2018, 08:03:10 pm »
guys! One quick question
is difficulty performing simple monotonous tasks a behavioural or cognitive symptom of partial sleep deprivation (I thought it was behavioural) but QATs 2018 indicates it is cognitive, and I just picked up on this ;///

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1374 on: October 31, 2018, 08:09:57 pm »

As this is a classically conditioned & therefore implicit memory I'd answer the cerebellum.
(Disclaimer: There is some debate about this)

If you want to look at a scientific article outside the scope of the study design on this topic … here

guys! One quick question
is difficulty performing simple monotonous tasks a behavioural or cognitive symptom of partial sleep deprivation (I thought it was behavioural) but QATs 2018 indicates it is cognitive, and I just picked up on this ;///

From 2017 ER: "The psychological consequences of partial sleep deprivation included (but were not limited to): …. increased error rates on tasks requiring attention to detail " (bolding mine)

Based on this, I'd go with cognitive

anon101

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1375 on: October 31, 2018, 08:23:20 pm »

If we think of the reason why we make more errors on the simpler tasks, it is because they are automatic process's taking very little of our attention spectrum (unlike controlled processes).
Thus, although we can clearly see that ASC's illicit a behavioural effect on simple tasks, the actual reason it happens is cognitive in nature.
But that's just how I think about it, maybe someone else can say if what I'm saying makes sense or not
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:26:28 pm by anon101 »

gary123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1376 on: October 31, 2018, 08:29:56 pm »
Last min q :P
How do you define acquisition and extinction in operant conditioning? I initially thought acquistion it only involved reinforcing a behaviour with reinforcement but teacher said it was association of behaviour with consequence (reinforcement AS WELL AS punishment) and same idea for extinction but I don't get how punishment relates to both of these principles because punishment REDUCES the likelihood of a behaviour so how do you acquire it with that
Thanks
2018 - Psychology [50]
2019 - Chem,bio,spesh,meth,eng

racheljanee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1377 on: October 31, 2018, 08:32:42 pm »
As I've seen lots of debate on this topic tonight and it's confused the heck outta me..
Are these correct explanations of brain regions associated with memory?

Hippocampus: has a role in the consolidation of explicit memories, and those associated with fear responses but DOES NOT store them
Amygdala: has a role in the consolidation of memories associated with fear responses but DOES NOT store them
Cerebral cortex: stores explicit memories
Cerebellum: stores procedural memories
2017: Bio [37]
2018: Englang [33] Methods [34]  Further [46] Psych [39] Legal [30]
2019-2022: Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging @ Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1378 on: October 31, 2018, 08:40:43 pm »
+2
Last min q :P
How do you define acquisition and extinction in operant conditioning? I initially thought acquistion it only involved reinforcing a behaviour with reinforcement but teacher said it was association of behaviour with consequence (reinforcement AS WELL AS punishment) and same idea for extinction but I don't get how punishment relates to both of these principles because punishment REDUCES the likelihood of a behaviour so how do you acquire it with that
Thanks

If the unwanted behaviour no longer occurs when presented with the antecedent, then we would say that acquisition has occurred.

After a while the behaviour might reappear again (extinction). After a duration where they have had the behaviour when the antecedant has been presented, if  it is presented and the behaviour doesn't occur, I'd say that's spontaneous recovery.

Hope this helps :)

Edit:

yes, racheljanee, those are accurate descriptions. Might want to include more info on how the amygdala does that if it comes up in an exam q
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:43:15 pm by miniturtle »

study.

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1379 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:45 pm »
hey all,

I was wondering how the role of a stress response is a biological preciptating risk factor for phobia?

Thanks  ;D