Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:45:21 am

Author Topic: Psychology placements  (Read 1130 times)  Share 

fruitbowl34

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Psychology placements
« on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:48 pm »
Hi everyone! I was just wondering which uni is the best for psychology in terms of internships/placements? I initially had my heart set on Monash, but I heard that they don't have internships/placements for the undergraduate course? If so, is it possible to arrange our own placements? Is it such a bad thing that they don't offer placements/internships for the undergraduate course?

Thank you!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: Psychology placements
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:21 pm »
+1
If you're planning on studying Psychology through Science, there indeed isn't any compulsory work placement, but there are definitely opportunities to apply for them. For example, you can apply for the SCI3920 unit, where you can either source your own, or apply (competitively) for a Monash-sourced placement.

Hope that helps :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

fruitbowl34

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:56:04 pm »
If you're planning on studying Psychology through Science, there indeed isn't any compulsory work placement, but there are definitely opportunities to apply for them. For example, you can apply for the SCI3920 unit, where you can either source your own, or apply (competitively) for a Monash-sourced placement.

Hope that helps :)

I'm planning to go into the bachelor of psych (honours) does that offer any work placements? Thanks! :)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:11:48 pm »
+1
I'm planning to go into the bachelor of psych (honours) does that offer any work placements? Thanks! :)

Undergrad Psych degrees at all universities are academic (training you for research and providing you knowledge) not professional (masters of clinical psych ones are though), so you aren't taught theraphy skills. Honours is a research year, so you aren't taught those skills either. Work placements involving 'patients' and providing theraphy have really strict ethics so it's difficult for an academic undergrad degree to arrange them. Lab/research internships are available to undergrad students at the universities or neuroscience centres, but most of the time you have to be proactive in applying for them. You can also apply to do socio-legal /mental health law research at a pro-bono legal clinic ( just got a role at one recently).

EDIT: Most people doing science related honours complete them at a research institute (eg. Florey), so technically you are on a lab placement. You have to apply directedly to the research institute yourself though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:23:41 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb