Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:35:38 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605976 times)  Share 

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1080 on: October 08, 2013, 10:02:20 pm »
Yo guys, I got this question here

The doctrine of precedent allows for both consistency and flexbillity, Critically examine these two strengths of the doctrine of precendent

6 marks

here is my plan,
1.Define DOP
2. State the strength of consistency+ discussion
3. state the weakness of consistency+disucssion
4. State a strength of flexbillity               ''''
5. state a weakness of flexbillity'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

is it possible to tell me how i can fill up like over 25 lines with this question as it is part of the 2010 legal studies past exam, thank you.

Go back and tweak your brainstorming a bit. Firstly, does it ask for a definition of precedent? Secondly, consider it more from a *how* perspective. So, how does precedent achieve consistency, and how does it achieve flexibility?
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1081 on: October 08, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »
ahaha, if this were in the exam, would you define DOP in order to look like you have great knowledge and to show off to the examiner i am a boss in this question. despite it not actually asking it in the question, as i actually found the question in my atarnotes study guide and they also defined DOP. but i will not dispute as you got a 50 which is freakin amazing.

M_BONG

« Reply #1082 on: October 08, 2013, 10:22:47 pm »
+3
ahaha, if this were in the exam, would you define DOP in order to look like you have great knowledge and to show off to the examiner i am a boss in this question. despite it not actually asking it in the question, as i actually found the question in my atarnotes study guide and they also defined DOP. but i will not dispute as you got a 50 which is freakin amazing.
No.assesors hate it when you "write everything you know about the topic" (refer to assesment reports) so defining something when it is not asked does not show the examiner you're a "boss in the question". You gain no credit and you waste time. However that is not to say some explanation of DOP is not required. You might need to explain it but you are primarily examining. So incorporate some explaining of DOP in your examination.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #1083 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:28 am »
+1
is it possible to tell me how i can fill up like over 25 lines with this question as it is part of the 2010 legal studies past exam, thank you.

Answer the question. You don't need to fill every line/space provided. Simple as that.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1084 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:46 am »
I don't think so, but learning one wouldn't hurt. It would be really good to buff up what you say ") In the end it's your choice.

I agree with this. It does no harm if you are able to cite an example. Might also depends on the marks allocated to the question. In my view, if it's only a couple of marks, you don't really need to go in-depth about the example.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1085 on: October 09, 2013, 11:28:02 am »
Just something I'd like to re-emphasis generally, as the exam gets closer. Can we try to avoid copying and pasting questions in the future? Re: below. Having a broad discussion around a question is more beneficial for others as well (hearing different viewpoints), rather than simply trying to get your own questions answered for yourself.

I agree with this. It doesn't really matter if it's questions being asked for homework, for revision from practice exams or just for the sake of learning. There's plenty of people that are more than happy to answer questions on the site, but asking a question should in most cases consist of more than just copying and pasting question.

It really is helpful to see what working you've figured out so far and outlining what part of the question you're actually having trouble with or are concerned about. It looks like you've done that in your post just above mine, so that's good.

That usually ends up in more fruitful discussion too. The person asking the question gets a more direct answer to the problem they were having e.g. you'll avoid problems like this  as well as the discussion will probably end up being a bit deeper than just Question. Answer. Question. Question. Answer. which frankly isn't as interesting as actually engaging the subject matter.

Thank you.

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1086 on: October 10, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »
Do you guys know if the Mr Wood exams are any good?
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

hannah2013

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1087 on: October 10, 2013, 06:58:04 pm »
Do you guys know if the Mr Wood exams are any good?

They are pretty good yeah. My teacher loves him so....
No in my opinion they are better than CSE or TSSM or any of those - there are fewer mistakes as he is up to date and seems to be more focused on our study design.
You may as well try one - you've got nothing to lose by doing one of his exams to see for yourself but in summary (sorry) i would recommend them yes
:)
2012: Theatre studies 41
2013: English 38| Methods 31 | Biology 37 | Legal studies 43 | Psychology 44 |

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1088 on: October 10, 2013, 07:25:38 pm »
OK cool :)
Do you know how COMPAK/VCTA exams are?
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

hannah2013

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1089 on: October 10, 2013, 07:42:27 pm »

I have heard that VCTA are alright from others - i think i have done one for another subject. But no i haven't heard or seen anything about COMPAK sorry.
2012: Theatre studies 41
2013: English 38| Methods 31 | Biology 37 | Legal studies 43 | Psychology 44 |

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1090 on: October 10, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »

Exams from COMPAK are generally exams sent in voluntarily by teachers, which are then distributed to other teachers via the COMPAK newsletter. Therefore they are written by different people each time, and one might be vastly different from another.

Even "bad" exams are good to do, though, so you practise analysing different styles of question.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

phillp

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: wellington
« Reply #1091 on: October 13, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »
Does anyone know which companies make similar vcaa exams?
Which exams are best to do ?

M_BONG

« Reply #1092 on: October 13, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »
Does anyone know which companies make similar vcaa exams?
Which exams are best to do ?
I have done QAT, TSSM, Neap, VCAA, Engage and Insight practice papers for Legal.

in terms of difficulty, QAT was the hardest. But they had questions not likely to be asked by VCAA (one question was worth 5 marks and asked us to explain what a "terms of reference" is ).

Engage was free (downloadable from their site) and the exam was completely crap.

Insight is probably at the level of VCAA but I still found it easy; if you are going to buy practie exams,  would recommend Neap because it's slightly harder than VCAA but the structure is still similar.

DetteAmelie

« Reply #1093 on: October 13, 2013, 08:50:31 pm »
I have done QAT, TSSM, Neap, VCAA, Engage and Insight practice papers for Legal.

in terms of difficulty, QAT was the hardest. But they had questions not likely to be asked by VCAA (one question was worth 5 marks and asked us to explain what a "terms of reference" is ).

Engage was free (downloadable from their site) and the exam was completely crap.

Insight is probably at the level of VCAA but I still found it easy; if you are going to buy practie exams,  would recommend Neap because it's slightly harder than VCAA but the structure is still similar.
Hmm, I haven't tried QAT yet. I'm so curious now. Hmm, I have the engage ones printed but I have yet to complete them. Why do you say that?

M_BONG

« Reply #1094 on: October 13, 2013, 09:18:35 pm »
Hmm, I haven't tried QAT yet. I'm so curious now. Hmm, I have the engage ones printed but I have yet to complete them. Why do you say that?
I only speak for Engage Legal Studies though. Engage LS = bad questions and the solutions are not well-written (although you can't really complain - they're free!)

Yeah, if you are going to spend money on trial exams (or your school) I would get QAT or Neap.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:20:32 pm by M_BONG »