Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:31:09 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605735 times)  Share 

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1110 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:21 pm »
+1
I've seen different teachers interpret it differently - and differently depending on the question - so I think it's safe to just slip a bit of the other side in :)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1111 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »
I've seen different teachers interpret it differently - and differently depending on the question - so I think it's safe to just slip a bit of the other side in :)
Would it be like based on the topic that is being covered? For instance, if it were a topic where evaluating is involved (e.g. parliament) then it'd be looking at strengths and weaknesses, but otherwise just to explain?

How would you look at it for this question:
Discuss the ability of courts to change the law.

Would you look at strengths and weaknesses or the doctrine of precedent and all that jazz?

Also, when asked to compare should you always look at similarities AND differences or is it ok to focus on just one? Like if asked to compare mediation and judicial determination I can only think of differences (can someone suggest some similarities?) but I feel like it's not a good idea to only discuss differences..

What does 'analyse' mean? I came across a question 'Analyse the impact of the referral of powers on the division of law-making powers' and when I saw analyse, I thought it meant evaluate and was going to do that but the solutions merely talk about the actual impact of referral of powers. So does analyse just mean to discuss in detail or like 'discuss' is it dependant on the question/topic being assessed?

Thanks! :)

2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

M_BONG

« Reply #1112 on: October 22, 2013, 06:50:10 pm »
Would it be like based on the topic that is being covered? For instance, if it were a topic where evaluating is involved (e.g. parliament) then it'd be looking at strengths and weaknesses, but otherwise just to explain?

How would you look at it for this question:
Discuss the ability of courts to change the law.

Would you look at strengths and weaknesses or the doctrine of precedent and all that jazz?

Also, when asked to compare should you always look at similarities AND differences or is it ok to focus on just one? Like if asked to compare mediation and judicial determination I can only think of differences (can someone suggest some similarities?) but I feel like it's not a good idea to only discuss differences..

What does 'analyse' mean? I came across a question 'Analyse the impact of the referral of powers on the division of law-making powers' and when I saw analyse, I thought it meant evaluate and was going to do that but the solutions merely talk about the actual impact of referral of powers. So does analyse just mean to discuss in detail or like 'discuss' is it dependant on the question/topic being assessed?

Thanks! :)
If I were you, I would err on the side of caution. I always thought discuss did not require strengths+weaknesses, but my teacher disagrees. On the exam, you don't know who is marking your exam nor do you get to ask where you lose the marks, so I would always include s+w to be safe.

For the "discuss the ability of courts to make laws" question, I would DEFINITELY add in strengths and weaknesses because if you were to write "courts can always make law" (strengths only) your argument would not sound balanced or well discussed.

Compare always involves similarities and differences; I always think of "analyse" as "evaluate" (ie. strengths, weaknesses and judgement). Thus it wouldn't be enough to just "discuss" when a questions asks you to "analyse".

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1113 on: October 23, 2013, 09:26:41 am »
If I were you, I would err on the side of caution. I always thought discuss did not require strengths+weaknesses, but my teacher disagrees. On the exam, you don't know who is marking your exam nor do you get to ask where you lose the marks, so I would always include s+w to be safe.

For the "discuss the ability of courts to make laws" question, I would DEFINITELY add in strengths and weaknesses because if you were to write "courts can always make law" (strengths only) your argument would not sound balanced or well discussed.

Compare always involves similarities and differences; I always think of "analyse" as "evaluate" (ie. strengths, weaknesses and judgement). Thus it wouldn't be enough to just "discuss" when a questions asks you to "analyse".

Totally agree - and don't forget that looking at 'both sides' doesn't mean just strengths and weaknesses: it can also mean how they can versus how they can't; how it increased versus how it decreased; why it's better versus why it's worse; and so on.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1114 on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:23 pm »
Criminal Procedures act 2010, i've always put it in every sac and exam ive written in so far, just to make sure, this achieves the timely resolution as it brought all existing criminal acts into one piece of legislation, therefore making it easier to nativgate through areas of the law? i hope im right haha, this is my main example i always use.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1115 on: October 23, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »
Criminal Procedures act 2010, i've always put it in every sac and exam ive written in so far, just to make sure, this achieves the timely resolution as it brought all existing criminal acts into one piece of legislation, therefore making it easier to nativgate through areas of the law? i hope im right haha, this is my main example i always use.

Do you mean the CPA 2009? It came into force in 2010.

For me personally, I don't feel like there's a huge amount of discussion content in simply bringing existing procedures into one act. It did, however, make a few other changes (for example, it uses only English - no Latin terms), so if I were using it I would have some more specific detail about a couple of things it really *changed*.

Here's a decent fact sheet, if you need: http://www.liv.asn.au/PDF/younglawyers/Legal/FactSheetCriminalProcedure2010
Good luck!

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1116 on: October 23, 2013, 11:04:07 pm »
Do you mean the CPA 2009? It came into force in 2010.

For me personally, I don't feel like there's a huge amount of discussion content in simply bringing existing procedures into one act. It did, however, make a few other changes (for example, it uses only English - no Latin terms), so if I were using it I would have some more specific detail about a couple of things it really *changed*.

Here's a decent fact sheet, if you need: http://www.liv.asn.au/PDF/younglawyers/Legal/FactSheetCriminalProcedure2010

Sweeeet, i never bothered to look into it lol, i was watching a Tim Mcdonald VCE LEGAL STUDIES video on youtube. in one of the recent changes he said something along the lins of another recent change to the legal system designed to achieve the element of timely resolution is the creation of the criminal procedures act 2010, which brought all existing criminal acts into one piece of legislation, however i will now look into that link you provided me with. thank you

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1117 on: October 26, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »
23.   Other than statutory interpretation, describe one other relationship between courts and parliament in law making

Answer:

one relationship between parliament and courts is through parliament passing legislation to create courts, an example of parliament establishing courts through legislation was in 1852, where the Victorian parliament created the Supreme court of Victoria which also outlined the structures, procedures and jurisdictions of this courts, yet parliament has the power to amend or abolish created courts through legislation.

Would you's think the question has been answered, i always seem to struggle with relationships between courts and parliament.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1118 on: October 26, 2013, 10:27:50 pm »
23.   Other than statutory interpretation, describe one other relationship between courts and parliament in law making

Answer:

one relationship between parliament and courts is through parliament passing legislation to create courts, an example of parliament establishing courts through legislation was in 1852, where the Victorian parliament created the Supreme court of Victoria which also outlined the structures, procedures and jurisdictions of this courts, yet parliament has the power to amend or abolish created courts through legislation.

Would you's think the question has been answered, i always seem to struggle with relationships between courts and parliament.

Sounds great to me!
Good luck!

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1119 on: October 26, 2013, 10:30:59 pm »
Hi guys!
Do you think it's worth doing the VCAA sample exam under timed conditions as a proper exam? For one, its 60 marks and also there's no solutions! I've already got soooo many practice exams aside from the VCAA ones, particularly from 2012-13 so I was hoping to do these under timed conditions instead. This is with the intention of still looking through the sample exam and any other exams I haven't completed and making sure that I know how to answer all questions. But I just think it's a waste of time bothering to do the sample exam under timed conditions because I've already got other, more recent, resources. What do you think?

EDIT: 600th post YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! And it was made in one of my favourite subjects too!!!  ;D :D 8)

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1120 on: October 27, 2013, 04:45:23 pm »
bump. Anyone?

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1121 on: October 27, 2013, 05:36:37 pm »
I can't see the harm in doing it, but if you want to do it timed, remember that you will be only allowed 103 mins as its only 60 marks

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #1122 on: October 27, 2013, 07:33:53 pm »
+1
Hi guys!
Do you think it's worth doing the VCAA sample exam under timed conditions as a proper exam? For one, its 60 marks and also there's no solutions! I've already got soooo many practice exams aside from the VCAA ones, particularly from 2012-13 so I was hoping to do these under timed conditions instead. This is with the intention of still looking through the sample exam and any other exams I haven't completed and making sure that I know how to answer all questions. But I just think it's a waste of time bothering to do the sample exam under timed conditions because I've already got other, more recent, resources. What do you think?

The choice is really yours. Like the above post, there isn't really any harm doing it under timed conditions. But in my view, if you feel confident enough in yourself, then perhaps time is better spent elsewhere (e.g. on other subjects etc.). Personally, I would mix things up with your revision, because it can get really boring/dull if you just keep doing exam after exam. The aim of doing practice exams is to continually improve and to learn from your mistakes. Don't do an exam under timed conditions just for the sake of it.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #1123 on: October 27, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »
+1
Just wanted to add that: In my experience, because there is so much material out there in terms of past exam papers, you shouldn't feel the need to complete every single one available. A lot of students in my cohort (including myself) fell into the trap of rushing to finish exam after exam and giving them to my teacher for feedback leading up to the exam date. But in hindsight, I think if you really have a sound knowledge and understanding of each AoS, you'll be okay.

akeergar

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: The Grange P-12 College
« Reply #1124 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:19 pm »
I just found the biggest gap in my knowlege to be in regards to civil pre-trial procedures. I'm trying to fill it but finding that even though there's only like 3 we have to remember, each one (especially pleadings) go into tedious detail about the documents and all the stages involved. Don't get me wrong I want to understand each process properly but I'm finding it's just too much  info, any help?
Hopeful Atar score: 98

Arts/Law Monash University.