Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:16:26 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605730 times)  Share 

jonte

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: CGS
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1635 on: November 05, 2015, 06:40:31 pm »
I'm aware that there are 4 divisions of VCAT and not 3 like my text book and revision notes tell me. In the exam, would you recommend talking about the 4 divisions or just leaving it at 3?

Thanks,

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1636 on: November 05, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »
The Legal exam isn't scanned, so don't worry about scanning issues - which also means you should just finish your answer below the lines! Also don't worry about wasting time switching to pencil: just do a quick pen plan in the margin if you want one :)
oh okay , thank yoU!
Just a question, i feel as if i know my content well and my expression and explanation of content is good, but im wondering, any tips dealing with stress? Ive worked super hard in revising for this subject and its my only 3/4 subject, its just im really nervous (you can probably tell based on how my sentence structure looks like :P)

THANK YOU!! :D
Uni and life

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1637 on: November 05, 2015, 09:18:37 pm »
+2
I guess my only piece of advice is what works for me: compartmentalise and stop thinking about how you feel. Your feelings are irrelevant - you just need to DO. Just focus on what you're doing, and try to ignore whether you feel nervous, confident, etc. Also ignore the future, possible scores, potential marks, outcomes, consequences. Just try to be a bit more routine and task-oriented rather than outcome-oriented. It's not an exam: it's just sitting down and writing some shit you've written a million times before. That's the part that's in your control, so just do it.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

tinagan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Mac.Rob
« Reply #1638 on: November 06, 2015, 05:36:05 pm »
could someone help with how civil and criminal pre-trial procedures promote effective access to the legal system?

euphoric

• Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1639 on: November 06, 2015, 09:23:18 pm »
Do examiners take off marks for structure and expression? Like if you had the correct information but your expression was a bit off. Would you only receive 5/6 marks or would you be able to receive full marks as you had the correct information but not worded fluently

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1640 on: November 07, 2015, 08:28:20 pm »
During the marking process, are legal exams scanned or marked in hard copy?
2015: Psychology, Mathematical Methods CAS, Legal Studies, Accounting, English
2016: Commerce (Accounting/Finance) UoM

esthertham58

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1641 on: November 08, 2015, 07:16:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am sort of confused about addressing certain parts of a question.
For example in the 2012 , Q13 states' In a recent submission to the VLRC, an individual stated that the jury system is outdated and should be abolished. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with this statement. In your answer describe the role of the VLRC"

According to the answer key, we have to list the strengths and weaknesses of jury as well as the role of VLRC. Do I need to address the issue whether VLRC is outdated????

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1642 on: November 08, 2015, 07:37:26 pm »
Do examiners take off marks for structure and expression? Like if you had the correct information but your expression was a bit off. Would you only receive 5/6 marks or would you be able to receive full marks as you had the correct information but not worded fluently

In any subject that requires written responses, expression is important in clearly communicating your ideas. However, as long as an assessor is able to understand what you're going on about, they're not going to penalise you on your expression. On the other hand, I'd say structure can definitely have an influence on your marks. For example, for the larger responses towards the end of the paper, it's always a good idea to provide a brief conclusion that summaries your main points.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:43:10 pm by jyce »

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1643 on: November 08, 2015, 07:38:29 pm »
+1
During the marking process, are legal exams scanned or marked in hard copy?

They were not scanned last year.

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1644 on: November 08, 2015, 07:40:07 pm »
+1
Hi Everyone,

I am sort of confused about addressing certain parts of a question.
For example in the 2012 , Q13 states' In a recent submission to the VLRC, an individual stated that the jury system is outdated and should be abolished. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with this statement. In your answer describe the role of the VLRC"

According to the answer key, we have to list the strengths and weaknesses of jury as well as the role of VLRC. Do I need to address the issue whether VLRC is outdated????

No. The question asks you to address the issue of whether the jury system is outdated. The background information explains a scenario where an individual has brought this issue to the VLRC, and the question wants you to briefly describe the role of the VLRC in addition to addressing whether the jury system is outdated. So I would recommend opening up with the role of the VLRC, and then move on to critically evaluating the jury system which is where the bulk of the marks would be awarded. It's a weird question.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:45:08 pm by jyce »

esthertham58

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1645 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:40 pm »
Oh... I'm sorry, that was a typo error.
I meant do I have to answer how the jury was outdated....
Should I use recent reforms to argue that the jury is gradually improving and is not outdated? I read the assessor comments and they haven't specifically say that student should address this part.

Thanks for your help

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1646 on: November 09, 2015, 12:04:21 am »
+1
Oh... I'm sorry, that was a typo error.
I meant do I have to answer how the jury was outdated....
Should I use recent reforms to argue that the jury is gradually improving and is not outdated? I read the assessor comments and they haven't specifically say that student should address this part.

Thanks for your help

That sounds like a perfectly fine idea for addressing the 'outdated' component of the question :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:07:06 am by jyce »

scottg15

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: A good one.
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1647 on: November 09, 2015, 09:40:22 pm »
+2
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!! SMASH THAT EXAM, AND SHOW THEM WHAT YOUR MADE OF!!!!
2014: VCD(40), VCE VET Business (41)
2015: ENG (38), LEG(40), MM(34), GEO(47)

Übermensch

• Fresh Poster
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1648 on: November 10, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »
I think that 10 marker confused the whole state; very unexpected!  ???

thaaanyan

« Reply #1649 on: November 10, 2015, 08:44:35 pm »
I think that 10 marker confused the whole state; very unexpected!  ???

yeah they're doing that more and more - connecting the various areas of study together.