Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:23:09 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605762 times)  Share 

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1695 on: March 06, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »
+1
Hi all,

If I come across the questions of, 'Explain two differences between the role of the Legislative Council and the role of the Legislative Assembly' in a SAC, would it be sufficient to talk about the Legislative Assembly's role to determine government and the Legislative Council's role to act as a house of review. I understand that the Legislative Assembly also reviews legislation, but not to the same extent as the Legislative Council, therefore would it be acceptable for this to be a difference in roles?

Absolutely - they don't have to be 100% different (arguably, even determining government isn't 100% different because the Senate can influence government by rejecting the budget a la 1975). Make sure you say *how* they are differences, though, because that task word requires more than just stating each role and leaving it implied that it's different.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1696 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:20 pm »
Hi All, I was just wondering if anyone had any past/practice SACS for Unit 3 Outcome 2 (constitution, High Court etc.) I'm struggling to find any practice resources. :)

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #1697 on: March 09, 2016, 05:53:43 pm »
Hi All, I was just wondering if anyone had any past/practice SACS for Unit 3 Outcome 2 (constitution, High Court etc.) I'm struggling to find any practice resources. :)

we are banned from sharing copyrighted material on these forums. have you asked your teacher?
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1698 on: March 09, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
Has everyone already had their first SAC?
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1699 on: March 09, 2016, 08:17:10 pm »
Has everyone already had their first SAC?

just had my second one (on changing the law) and sac 3 (constitution) is on the last day of term  :'(
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1700 on: March 09, 2016, 08:48:12 pm »
just had my second one (on changing the law) and sac 3 (constitution) is on the last day of term  :'(

Wow, your school is very fast. Our first SAC on chapters 1 and 2 is tomorrow   :D

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1701 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:48 pm »
Wow, your school is very fast. Our first SAC on chapters 1 and 2 is tomorrow   :D

yeah, our teacher generally rushes through powerpoints and then gives us practice sacs a week before the real sac, so in total he spends 2-3 weeks on a topic  :-X best of luck with your sac!  ;D
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1702 on: March 17, 2016, 09:13:14 am »
yeah, our teacher generally rushes through powerpoints and then gives us practice sacs a week before the real sac, so in total he spends 2-3 weeks on a topic  :-X best of luck with your sac!  ;D

Then use this time to get a skeleton of your own exam topic notes down - and, once you hit the end of Unit 3 (around Week 7 Term 2), you can(should) spend time every single week revising past topics and filling out your notes with better detail and wording.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1703 on: March 17, 2016, 11:44:48 am »
Then use this time to get a skeleton of your own exam topic notes down - and, once you hit the end of Unit 3 (around Week 7 Term 2), you can(should) spend time every single week revising past topics and filling out your notes with better detail and wording.

yep i'm definitely doing that  :) i tend to put detail into my notes before the SAC, but will definitely add more before exam time

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1704 on: March 17, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »
+1
Quick question... When states refer law making power to the Commonwealth, does this power then become exclusive or concurrent? :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1705 on: March 18, 2016, 08:47:12 pm »
Quick question... When states refer law making power to the Commonwealth, does this power then become exclusive or concurrent? :)

Hi there,

Good question, I was stuck on the same thing.

My textbook states that this is an element of uncertainty with the referral of powers, as to whether it then becomes exclusive. Apparently these questions have not been tested in court as the need has never arisen whereby the states need to take back or change the referral of power.

I hope this helps.  :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1706 on: March 19, 2016, 03:35:02 pm »
Hi there,

Good question, I was stuck on the same thing.

My textbook states that this is an element of uncertainty with the referral of powers, as to whether it then becomes exclusive. Apparently these questions have not been tested in court as the need has never arisen whereby the states need to take back or change the referral of power.

I hope this helps.  :)

Haha, do you have my textbook??!! (CPAP)

Yes, that's basically it. Because of the wording of s51, and the fact that a referral comes under s51, we assume it becomes concurrent. And HCA obiter supports that. BUT it's theoretically possible that a state could pass a referral *saying* it's exclusive - what then? Who knows. Also, you can argue that, because the s109 inconsistency rule applies to referrals, they basically become exclusive in an everyday practical sense, if not a legal one.

Legally, though - probably concurrent.
Good luck!

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1707 on: March 19, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
hey guys  :) quick question:

my textbook says that after the 2nd reading speech in vic parliament, the Scrutiny of Acts and Regulations committee examines the details of the bill. at federal level, would this same process be conducted by the Senate Scrutiny of Bills Committee, or the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:02:00 pm by upandgo »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1708 on: March 19, 2016, 07:13:36 pm »
Hey guys,

In regards to the referral of powers, do all states have to agree?

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #1709 on: March 19, 2016, 08:49:35 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

In regards to the referral of powers, do all states have to agree?

No. Each state passes a bill referring their powers separately. So Victoria may refer a power, but NSW doesn't have to. Each state controls their own powers.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.