Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:45:32 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605762 times)  Share 

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1935 on: October 06, 2016, 07:55:57 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

Am I able to continue writing on white space underneath an answer if I only have a little bit extra to write, or will this cut off when being scanned?

For larger answers where I know I will be writing more paragraphs I will make a note for the assessor to go to the back page, but when I have just a few extra lines is this allowed?

Thanks!
i did this on most questions- it was fine. dont think legal is scanned anyways, but generally should be alright :)
Uni and life

KDB

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1936 on: October 06, 2016, 08:11:36 pm »
i did this on most questions- it was fine. dont think legal is scanned anyways, but generally should be alright :)

I asked my teacher this today. All of the exams are now scanned electronically, so if its outside of the lines then it the assessor won't see it. She said its best to just put your hand up and ask for an extra booklet and write in that or just write on the back page.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1937 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
I asked my teacher this today. All of the exams are now scanned electronically, so if its outside of the lines then it the assessor won't see it. She said its best to just put your hand up and ask for an extra booklet and write in that or just write on the back page.
ah i see- i did legal last year, so yeah idk if its changed :) best to direct additional responses to the back of the booklet, using clear labels :D
Uni and life

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1938 on: October 06, 2016, 10:33:46 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

Am I able to continue writing on white space underneath an answer if I only have a little bit extra to write, or will this cut off when being scanned?

For larger answers where I know I will be writing more paragraphs I will make a note for the assessor to go to the back page, but when I have just a few extra lines is this allowed?

Thanks!

Nope - not scanned. Marked from the paper you write on. So, as long as it's neat and easy to read just keep going on the white space given to you on the page. Seriously, it's super-annoying to mark things where you have to keep flipping to the back and finding the rest of the answer, then flipping back to find the question you were doing, and sometimes there are literally TWO WORDS written at the back of the booklet....aaargh!!!!!! Yeah, but, like, obviously if you have another page to write you do it in the back. That's different :)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1939 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:26 pm »

No - maybe they were confused with many exams having mark allocations entered electronically?? And it's really not that {edit} *easy* to write outside the scanned area, anyway, for those that are scanned, so you really don't have to worry too much. I mean, of course don't take risks unnecessarily! but the scanner takes in the whole page, not just the lines. I don't want to say that it's what will happen in the future because none of us knows until we see the actual paper, but have you seen those exams papers from the past with the guideline margin that tells you where the cut-off is? So it's really not a stress :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:55:54 pm by meganrobyn »
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1940 on: October 08, 2016, 11:50:57 am »
Does anyone know of any 'recent changes to the adversary system', It's a question in a prac exam. The only ones I can think of are changes to the Criminal Procedure Act 2009 and Civil Procedure Act 2010 - are these too old, and are there any more recent ones that could be used?

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1941 on: October 08, 2016, 01:06:39 pm »
Does anyone know of any 'recent changes to the adversary system', It's a question in a prac exam. The only ones I can think of are changes to the Criminal Procedure Act 2009 and Civil Procedure Act 2010 - are these too old, and are there any more recent ones that could be used?

Hey,

What year was this exam question asked? It may relate to the old study design, as the current one only requires possible reforms to the adversary system of trial.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1942 on: October 08, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »
Hey,

What year was this exam question asked? It may relate to the old study design, as the current one only requires possible reforms to the adversary system of trial.

That's not from the old SD either. Most likely the writer just made a boo.
Good luck!

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1943 on: October 08, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »
That's not from the old SD either. Most likely the writer just made a boo.

Thanks Megan, I think you're right. The practice exam was written this year by a popular company, but asks for both "recent and reccomended changes to the adversary system of trial". Maybe they meant "to the legal system"!. :)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1944 on: October 08, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »
Heya. Could someone better than me please help?

There have been 44 referenda since Federation in 1901. Only 8 of these have been successful. Of these 8, how many have changed the division of power? Three, right? Went to a lecture today and the lecturer said in the notes that there were 4 but in class we were taught that there were only 3 (state debts, aboriginal affairs and social security)??? Is it three or four?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1945 on: October 08, 2016, 09:37:16 pm »
Heya. Could someone better than me please help?

There have been 44 referenda since Federation in 1901. Only 8 of these have been successful. Of these 8, how many have changed the division of power? Three, right? Went to a lecture today and the lecturer said in the notes that there were 4 but in class we were taught that there were only 3 (state debts, aboriginal affairs and social security)??? Is it three or four?

It's two ;)

I say that, because it's really frigging hard to justify how the state debts referendums changed anything about the division of power. You can't say anything about specific or residual powers.

I think some of the bigger textbooks include state debts, but for my money choose one of the others.
Good luck!

ncm123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1946 on: October 08, 2016, 10:47:02 pm »
I have come across a bit of a weird 10 marker in a trial exam, it asks to "evaluate the way VCAT operates to resolve disputes AND in your response explain 2 roles performed by the VLRC". Does any one have any ideas on how to tie in VCAT and VLRC? :) Thanks!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1947 on: October 09, 2016, 10:34:51 pm »
+1
I have come across a bit of a weird 10 marker in a trial exam, it asks to "evaluate the way VCAT operates to resolve disputes AND in your response explain 2 roles performed by the VLRC". Does any one have any ideas on how to tie in VCAT and VLRC? :) Thanks!

Someone was asking me about that the other day!! I asked them if they were sure they remembered the wording correctly...

Yeah, I'm not sure how to make them link - unless there's a bit of the question missing. I feel like I'd probably just end up doing a VLRC section that wasn't really connected. Also a bit unusual asking for two roles of the VLRC, too - it tends to be phrased more as "the" role of the VLRC, in line with the SD wording. Oh well.
Good luck!

Tham

« Reply #1948 on: October 11, 2016, 10:36:46 pm »
Hi!
We got this question on our sac: "Outline the purpose of a civil remedy". Is this asking us to outline the purpose of civil remedies in general or one civil remedy or both?
Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:31:21 pm by Tham »

KDB

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1949 on: October 11, 2016, 10:46:07 pm »
Hi!
We got this question on our sac: "Outline the purpose of a civil remedy". Is this asking us to outline the purpose of civil remedies in general or one civil remedy? Thank you!

I think its asking for one civil remedy. If it was in general it'd be "outline the purpose of civil remedies". So in this case, you could just talk about the purpose of damages or injunctions.  :)