Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:47:37 am

Author Topic: From Trials to the HSC - Surviving the interwar period  (Read 3064 times)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
From Trials to the HSC - Surviving the interwar period
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:07 pm »
+11
Hey everyone, welcome to my HSC Journal!  :)

So I'm a little late to the party, but I've decided to take this on board as a way of keeping myself motivated throughout the rest of my HSC year. I also think that this could be a cool way to reflect on my progress, and it will serve as a fancy form of memorabilia in the later stages of my life.

I'm going to start this off by noting down my HSC subjects and my current perception towards them:

Legal Studies:
This is my favourite subject by far. As of now, 70 out of 120 of my posts have been of me discussing, asking or answering questions related to Legal Studies. I find it so interesting that this course is all about my own personal opinion - I literally get marks for talking shit about my own government. My trial results were miles ahead of the rest of my cohort - I guess that's good when thinking about my internal rank, but really, really bad when considering our performance as a cohort in the HSC

Modern History:
I'd say this is currently my second favourite subject. Although I'm not too happy about my trials result, I can say that this is a fairly interesting subject. Just like Legal Studies, I get to form my own opinion about controversial topics. I just wish that we could do something a bit more contemporary here - my school goes from WW1 -> Germany -> Conflict in Europe, which is probably the most popular choice of options really. However, I find Conflict in Europe so goddamn boring. I wish we could do something like the UN as Peacekeeper - that has some pretty solid links to World Order in Legal, and it's a lot more recent for me!

Business Studies:
So here's the dilemma with Business Studies right now; I've always had an interest in the business world - I've wanted to pursue a business degree since Year 10, and the plan has never changed. But now with the HSC, I find it to be so bloody mundane. The subject is basically just filled with rote learning and memorising key concepts. Even though we do get the chance to express our opinion in the extended response, I still feel as though it's a game of memory. Even then, my current HSC teacher isn't the best; I mean sure, I appreciate that he takes the effort to help us out, and he's more than happy to explain a concept multiple times. But the problem is that he's far too unrealistic in terms of our study habits; He expected us to learn our last topic with just 3 week till trials. Obviously, I wasn't able to finish the entire topic while also preparing for my other subjects, so I didn't perform too well. I truly hope that my experience in HSC Business Studies is different to what I would face in university.

Studies of Religion:
Being in a Catholic school, we're forced to take up a religion subject - We get a choice between Catholic Studies, which is a non-Atar subject, or Studies of Religion. In all honesty, it's actually not that bad of a subject. My teacher is so amazing in the way she teaches and the resources that she gives us. I would definitely say that I perform well in this course, but at the same time I feel as though I spend the absolute minimum studying for SOR, as i'm too caught up with my other subjects. There's not much to say about SOR really, it's just about learning key concepts and terminology.

English Advanced:
Now this is going to sound so strange considering all of my subjects are humanities, but I honestly hate English. It's not the essay writing that bothers me - I've become completely accustomed to just writing pages and pages of essays in a single exam. The issue is that I that I hate the content within it. Like seriously, I could not care less about People and Politics. It's boring, uninspiring, and I'm not too impressed with the English faculty at my school. English teachers seem to commonly have this issue where the best amount of feedback you will ever get is either 'expression', or no feedback at all.

So there's my fairly lengthy rundown of my HSC subjects. Now that I've reflected on it, it's no surprise that I performed better in Legal Studies, and badly in English. The biggest challenge that I'll be facing in the following weeks will be my ability to allocate study time to my weaker subjects.

I'd also like to mention that I'm concerned about my cohort and the impact that their marks will have on my final ATAR. I want to devise some strategies that I can use to push them up into the higher bands, so that our class average can be higher than a fail... My ATAR goal is a 90+, but I've heard some stories of past students who scored high Band 5's and low Band 6's, but were brought down to an 87~ due to their cohort.

Anyway, I guess the topic of today is what can I do to push up my cohort? I'm more than willing to help people, but what can I possibly do when there are multiple students in my class that just don't care?

That's all for today everyone ! I'll be updating this irregularly - it will mainly be whenever something interesting comes to mind, or I need to vent
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
Re: From Trials to the HSC - Surviving the interwar period
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
+5
Hey rodero! Nice to see you've joined the cool club 8)

You're doing complete different subjects to what I am doing :P
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »
+2
Hey rodero! Nice to see you've joined the cool club 8)

You're doing complete different subjects to what I am doing :P

Thanks! You've definitely got a very different subject selection to me. How do you find it? I don't think I could personally bring myself to study Science and Math ;D
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:02:02 pm »
+3
That's a true G title.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:02:08 pm »
+4
hi!! i hope your journal becomes something that's fun to write about - i know i'm definitely enjoying writing at the moment :-)

But now with the HSC, I find it to be so bloody mundane. The subject is basically just filled with rote learning and memorising key concepts.

definitely feel this. business is so dry and boring, and from having an interest in the business world - that's gone out the window because of this subject. can't stand it, don't do the best in it, and i just want it over with.

Now this is going to sound so strange considering all of my subjects are humanities, but I honestly hate English. It's not the essay writing that bothers me - I've become completely accustomed to just writing pages and pages of essays in a single exam. The issue is that I that I hate the content within it.

i agree with this as well. can't stand english, it's so annoying and i just hate it so much. i do a heap of humanities as well but the content just sucks. i can't wait until october 17th and i. won't. have. to. do. english. anymore. it's so gross ew english

I'd also like to mention that I'm concerned about my cohort and the impact that their marks will have on my final ATAR. I want to devise some strategies that I can use to push them up into the higher bands, so that our class average can be higher than a fail...

Anyway, I guess the topic of today is what can I do to push up my cohort? I'm more than willing to help people, but what can I possibly do when there are multiple students in my class that just don't care?

this concern is prevalent for many schools, i reckon. everyone's very unmotivated, and it's really hard to try and help people when they don't give a shit about school. modern is my favourite subject, but the class is split into people that care, and people that don't care. there's a huge range of marks (can i just say, 25-83???????? honestly what the hell) i'd like to think there's hope for everyone, but for some, they're a lost cause. for the lost causes, what i'm doing in subjects where we've finished the content, is teach them different dot points every now and then. i'm not giving them notes, because they have to do that themselves, but teaching helps me, and helps others - a win-win situation.

the averages across my subjects are sitting around 50-61% (for trials) which not going to lie is crap. but i think it's important to give people the benefit of the doubt (i know, it's hard, tell me about the person who got the most terrible mark in the cold war essay - pm me what you think it is, and i will confirm or deny). we're all in this together :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:03:48 pm »
+2
Thanks! You've definitely got a very different subject selection to me. How do you find it? I don't think I could personally bring myself to study Science and Math ;D

maths is a pain. only did it because of my parents. it's the one subject that stands out most for me, but sometimes it's refreshing not to have to write an essay in a subject :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:05:27 pm »
+3

I'm loving it! I feel like I've inherited my dad's genes in terms of Science (so has my bro - studying Physio at UMelb) :')
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »
+4
That's a true G title.

8)

definitely feel this. business is so dry and boring, and from having an interest in the business world - that's gone out the window because of this subject. can't stand it, don't do the best in it, and i just want it over with.

i agree with this as well. can't stand english, it's so annoying and i just hate it so much. i do a heap of humanities as well but the content just sucks. i can't wait until october 17th and i. won't. have. to. do. english. anymore. it's so gross ew english

this concern is prevalent for many schools, i reckon. everyone's very unmotivated, and it's really hard to try and help people when they don't give a shit about school. modern is my favourite subject, but the class is split into people that care, and people that don't care

the averages across my subjects are sitting around 50-61% (for trials) which not going to lie is crap. but i think it's important to give people the benefit of the doubt (i know, it's hard, tell me about the person who got the most terrible mark in the cold war essay - pm me what you think it is, and i will confirm or deny). we're all in this together :-)

Woah, we do so many similar subjects, and we seem to have a mutual perception towards them! I can't agree with you more when you say that classrooms are split between those who care and those who don't - My Legal Studies class consists of 5~ people who are legitimately trying, followed by a massive gap in marks where the remaining 10~ are scoring like 30/100. The trials marks range from like 20 - 90, lmao.

I'm loving it! I feel like I've inherited my dad's genes in terms of Science (so has my bro - studying Physio at UMelb) :')

That's great! I'm sort of in the same boat, following my families footsteps with Business :)
HSC 2017:

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 06:03:28 am »
+7
Soooo.... it looks like my only two entries will be the start and end of my HSC journal

The HSC was a wild ride filled with tears, laughter, and stress. Although I finished 2 days ago with Legal Studies, it was only now that I've come by that feeling of "holy shit, we're done". At most, I'm feeling this awkward numbness within me that kind of doesn't want to let go of my schooling life. For the past 2 days I've woken up at 4am, thinking that I need to get some quick cramming in before leaving for school. It's dumb I know, but no longer having to study for the HSC has torn such a large aspect of my life from me, taking with it my daily routine and focus. With this, I've realised how reliant I was on school to keep me motivated to reach my life goals; Without all these rules, I'm scared that I'll completely let myself go and bludge till the day I die. To help myself in this transition, I think that it's time that I set new hopes and aspirations for the future, just so that I can find regain that sense of purpose.

First lets talk ATAR: The dream is a 95+, which will give me bonus points to get into Commerce at UNSW (96.3). However, if this dream ATAR were to be achieved, I think I might be able to get accepted into Business/Law at UTS (97.05). If that were to happen, I'd be massively conflicted as to whether or not I want to have a higher ranked university, or a law degree. I know for certain that I want a Business/Commerce degree, as it's been my drive since Year 10. I'm not sure what I was planning to do with the law degree though; I find that it would be difficult to practice law, especially with the stories I've heard of how saturated the field has become. Anyway, the true ATAR goal is a 90+. Again, bonus points would allow me to get into Business at UTS (91), which is honestly the course I've been looking at since the beginning. It would still take me to the future I'm looking for, but obviously if I were able to get a higher ATAR then that would offer a lot more opportunities.

Work: So I started working early Year 10 at Maccas, which was a simple job that I found to be so essential for the transition into the workforce. However, I had since become irritated at the job and the physical exhaustion that it entailed. Just before trials came along, I quit Maccas and scored a job as a Sales Rep with Nike. I would 100% say that my quality of life improved since then, especially with the vibrant and laid back work environment. That being said, I'm interested in tutoring on the side. Of course, this would depend mostly on my ATAR, which basically decides whether or not I'll be marketable at all  :P

Future with ATARNotes?: Now that the HSC is over, I don't know what my future holds with ATARNotes. I have become so deeply connected with the ATARNotes community, and it really isn't something that I want to let go. Depending on the circumstances, I might be interested in writing articles. I've already written one, so I guess I could be able to offer some more now that I have time on my hands. With the ATARNotes meetup, I really wish I could go, but I have work AND an 18th that day  :'( It sucks that I wasn't able to meet anyone in person, but if the opportunity arises I would love to one day!

So there we have it... I'm not sure if this will be my last journal entry, we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks guys, I really hope your experience with ATARNotes was as pleasant as mine was  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:07:31 am by rodero »
HSC 2017: