Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 11:51:09 am

Author Topic: A healthier year  (Read 4466 times)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: A healthier year
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 06:07:32 pm »
+12
Went swimming today. Mostly just to get away from people and sweat out some frustration.

Managed to do 40 laps - so a total of 1km - in a bit over 30 mins. Nowhere near the amount of laps I used to be able to do, but a lot more than I've been able to do in a while. For me, swimming is great because I don't actually feel that breathless or tired when I'm swimming - I just get into a rhythm and can go. The only thing stopping me from keeping on going is that my shoulder eventually starts getting sore and so does my hip, and it's not worth the pain in the moment or the pain that will come later to keep on going. It's frustrating, but it is what it is, I guess.

So yeah, proud of myself for that. Hoping I get a few more swimming sessions in before my surgery in 2 weeks.

I've also started a journal sort of thing where I can write down my thoughts each day. I figure this way, when I want to remember how I felt 2 weeks ago and can't really remember, I have something to read so I don't feel so scatter-brained. It also makes me feel better because I'm just writing my thoughts down on paper, not unloading on my friends, so I can't feel guilty.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 10:39:37 pm »
+12
Update time!

On the craft front: loving having a hobby that keeps my hands busy. Have already completed one long stitch pattern (a fox), and am currently working on a much larger one (a stockman and landscape)!

On the journal front: I'd been keeping a daily log until last week but have fallen off the track a bit. And the problem is, once you stop doing it daily, you think that you just can't really be bothered whenever you look at the journal. Hoping I feel in the mood to write something tomorrow. :)

On the exercise front: been a bit slack with this, but I've been going walking with my sister-in-law a bit and also went paintballing on the weekend with friends! Sweated so much that I think it makes up for the lost exercise time.

I'm also having hip surgery in a bit under 2 days! Not looking forward to the next few weeks, but overall, I'm trying to look at the positives and think about the long-term benefits. :)

Hope you're all well!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »
+12
So, I had surgery yesterday! Went well, just sore now but looking forward to the road ahead :)

Something I've really been reminded of over the past two days is to celebrate the things that you can achieve.
It's easy to get demoralised by not being able to do things. Instead, you have to take pride in what you can do - got dressed? Amazing! Had a shower? Fantastic! Walked down the corridor? Superstar!

Just have to keep this mindset going as I start rehab in the next few weeks!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:12 pm »
+9
So on Thursday I have my follow up appointment with the surgeon, and will find out how much longer I'll be on crutches for (hopefully not too much longer, I'm sick of people having to carry stuff for me), plus I'll get my stitches out. Keen to see how symmetrical the scars will look compared to my other hip ;)

Overall, I think I'm feeling more upbeat about rehab this time around - after all, I'm old hat at this by now haha.
My only issue, I think, is that I feel more apprehensive about returning to soccer after this. I've fallen out of love with the sport a bit (thanks to all my injuries), I'm worried about not being at the level I used to be at, and I also have concerns at the back of my mind about keeping my body in as good condition as possible for my career.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 07:15:25 pm »
+7
Great news!! Went back to see the surgeon today for my post-op appointment, and got told that I can come off the crutches :D

Plus, I found out that the damage in my hip wasn't as bad as it was in my other hip, so that means a quicker recovery and also points towards better outcomes in the future! Keen to get started on physio :)