Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:47:43 pm

Author Topic: Chance of Monash Medicine Second Round Offer  (Read 9665 times)  Share 

Lucy in the Skyy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Genazzano FCJ College
Chance of Monash Medicine Second Round Offer
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:04:24 am »
Hello!

I applied for the MBBS at Monash University and missed out on a first round offer. I was wondering if people could tell me where they think I went wrong or the chances they think I have of a second round offer? (I can't imagine anyone turning down their first round offer in the first place?)

I got an ATAR of 99.00 and a UMAT of 91st percentile, and I thought I did quite well in my interview as I'm a sociable girl and gave thought out answers.

Would I just be better off doing Science at Melb, or maybe taking my offer of provisional entry medicine at UQ?  :-\
I really enjoy biology and the like, and considered immunology in a science degree to eventually help with work on vaccines.

Thanks!

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
Re: Chance of Monash Medicine Second Round Offer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:10:20 am »
+2
Two of my friends got third round offers last year, so you still have a chance! :)
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

ultimatelel

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • You're a top block with a top lel
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:47:13 pm »
I can't imagine anyone turning down their first round offer in the first place?

You'd be surprised! A lot of interstaters do, they apply everywhere in case they stuff up an interview in their preferred uni and have other unis as backups. Some people may decide at last minute that it's not for them because their parents are forcing them into it, can't get to Clayton, or want to do something else.
Keep your hopes up!! Sounds like you aced your interview and that's super important :)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:06:01 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much, your chances for a first round offer weren't great based on your ATAR + UMAT. I think there's a good chance you'll get a second round offer if you killed the interview.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
You'd be surprised! A lot of interstaters do, they apply everywhere in case they stuff up an interview in their preferred uni and have other unis as backups. Some people may decide at last minute that it's not for them because their parents are forcing them into it, can't get to Clayton, or want to do something else.
Keep your hopes up!! Sounds like you aced your interview and that's super important :)

I think Monash hasn't interviewed everyone yet actually (especially interstate and NZ). They under-offer first round and then offer more in subsequent rounds.

That's my speculation.

Nguyensanity

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:57:52 pm »
Hello!

I applied for the MBBS at Monash University and missed out on a first round offer. I was wondering if people could tell me where they think I went wrong or the chances they think I have of a second round offer? (I can't imagine anyone turning down their first round offer in the first place?)

I got an ATAR of 99.00 and a UMAT of 91st percentile, and I thought I did quite well in my interview as I'm a sociable girl and gave thought out answers.

Would I just be better off doing Science at Melb, or maybe taking my offer of provisional entry medicine at UQ?  :-\
I really enjoy biology and the like, and considered immunology in a science degree to eventually help with work on vaccines.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you, with a 97 UMAT and a 96.90 ATAR. Also similarly to you, I felt that I did enough on interviews to have a chance. It's always difficult to tell though, given that interviewers don't usually give anything away. Hell, my ATAR alone probably didn't give me a chance at first round anyway. I've gone ahead and begun enrolment for my first round offer course at Monash in the mean time, we can only wait for second round offers. Interstate and NZ students have their interviews on the 28th and 29th, and judging by the Herald Sun's directory of last year's second round offers, a fair few went to interstate students: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-features/news-in-education/vce/vtac-round-2#edusearch-course-2800328251 - but then again, who knows whether they've accepted an offer at their own local uni or not.

At this point, I'm just so done. I'm going to try and stop wondering and let the fates decide. Just know that there's always hope! Good luck!

P.S. Looks like only 170ish offers were given first round, if Monash are still giving out the usual total (~220-230?), there's still a long way to go. I've heard of a 5th round offer given last year (is that even possible?)

2013: Biology
2014: English Language, Chemistry, Methods, Japanese (SL), Geography
2015 - 2019: MBBS - Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery @ Monash
UMAT: 97 ATAR: 96.90

UMAT tutoring: Need any last minute sessions? I can provide tailored advice and tips depending on your situation. Flexible towards your circumstance :) PM me or email me at [email protected] for more information!

Help with MMIs also available!

Always happy to reply to personal messages, open to giving honest advice about VCE. Once again, email or PM!