Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:13:05 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 209296 times)  Share 

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #630 on: September 11, 2018, 09:48:45 am »
Hello,

Just wondering if someone would be able to help with this

Thanks heaps!! I will keep working on it. Would appreciate it will someone would be able to go over my creative below and let me know your thoughts.... (PS. Its not great...  :'( )
Spoiler
12th March 1932 | Mannheim
Have you every heard the voice of people? The stories of people's feet? The voices of feet?
The closeness of a spanish heel to an Oxford Brogue tells a story of an evening ball. A story of wealth. A story of love.
Add to this story the voices of flaky, cracked feet conversing with black hobnail boots and you have a crime. A suspicion. Tears.
Our story is suddenly interrupted by polished wingtips. The voice is loud and rushed. It tells of a concluded meeting. Of business. A deal.
The voices whisper from all parts of the street. Every shoe, every foot has a voice. No foot tries to drown out anthers voice. No foot tries to kill another foot. The pavement accepts all the stories. Regardless of religion it hears. Regardless of heritage it hears.
I love these voices. They tell what is not spoken. What I cannot see. What there is to tell of the world.

10th May 193 | Berlin | Book Burning
The smoke hangs low in the air. The smell of burning flesh eats at the nose. Tonight the plot is different. Hobnails dominate the story tonight. They tell of power. Of authority. Yet a shuffle of fear exists. A  tremor in the voice. The story becomes intense, more authors interupt. The darkness chokes the voices. Ash is caught in the throat. The words become forced, confused and disjointed.
Here and there a rustle of paper. A word. A page. An intertextual reference that has no bearing on the story being told. Yet, it tells a story of its own. A story of a wasted life, a burnt author.
The page tells of an act against the Un-German spirit. What is the Un-German spirit? Those born here. Those born in Paris. Are we not all Germans? The Poles, Turks, Greeks, Asians, Africians and the Jew?
Think about the word 'Jew' for a minute. It is a title proudly born, yet one that comes from many mouths as a curse. An insult. When a little boy wants to insult a little girl does he not call her 'girl'? It it an insult? No! It is a title borne proudly and openly. It is not something of which to be ashamed.

14th November 1940
The train screams to a halt. Yet, the screams continue. The voices of mothers, calling for there children. The voices of children, calling for their mothers.
The voices are different here. They speak of cruelty. A shuffle of fear, which once existed, now controls. Hobnail, harsh voices surround those of the crocs. The crows cow in fear. There is no-one individual noise. It is the cry of a multitude. The cry to an unseen God. A cry of pain and sorrow.
A hand rises. It claps at my breasts. It explores, feeling for a heart. A heart that pines with the voices. A heart that helps. Yet, it finds only an unsteady throb. The hand falls limp. The heart , as if missing the love of a hand cries out. It continues to cry out, until the sickness of loss forces the cry to stop. It stops. These feet speak no-more. An individual voice among the multitude stops on earth and starts in heaven. A cry to a now seen God.

Epilogue - I know and as pointed out by the marker doesn't fit however it needed to add something to explain in relation to the question  :(
Sara was born in Germany during the first World War. She never saw her father. She never spoke to her father. He died in the trenches.
She never saw her mother. She never spoke to her mother. She died of the sorrow at the loss of her love, as of the sound of silence.
Sara was blind and dumb. Yet, her ears heard what is missed by all. Common ground among all people. The lack of understanding of differences. She never discriminated. She couldn't. She judged on the voices of peoples feet.
The voice of those people...

EDIT: This is my trial creative so written under exam conditions....
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #631 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:37 pm »
Hey,
How are the marks allocated for the HSC mark from the Paper 1 and Paper 2. Are they added up together or is there a different weighting?

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #632 on: September 11, 2018, 09:45:36 pm »
Hey,
How are the marks allocated for the HSC mark from the Paper 1 and Paper 2. Are they added up together or is there a different weighting?

Hey!!!  :)
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe Paper 1 is 40% and Paper 2 is 60%.
All the best! 37 days til paper 1!!!!!!  >:( :o
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #633 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:59 pm »
+1
Hey,

Hi, I'm not 100% sure either, but I think it's slightly more complex. Paper 1 is out of 45 (each section out of 15) and Paper 2 is out of 60 (each module out of 20). This gives you a mark out of 105, which is then scaled down to a mark out of 100. So esentially paper 2 is worth more overall because each module is worth more marks.
I think they also use the cohort's marks in Paper 1 to scale the marks Paper 2 for standard compared to advanced.
Hope this answers your question  :)
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #634 on: September 12, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »
Hi again!
I am wondering if people get their CSSA trial question booklets back. Apparently at my school they don't.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #635 on: September 12, 2018, 07:05:59 pm »
Hi again!
I am wondering if people get their CSSA trial question booklets back. Apparently at my school they don't.

I got mine back when I did mine ;D

mar.rs

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #636 on: October 06, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »
What do you you think of my intro for 2016 paper 2 mod b question?
Explain how The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender invites us into a different world and broadens our understanding of human experience?

Composers are able to evoke a sense of intrigue to the reader through the exploration of distinctive ideas. Marele Day's novel 'The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender'(TLACOHL, 1988) investigates an challenges the social norms of the time by adapting the genre of hard boiled crime to a contemporary setting. She denounces the existing gender roles of the late 80's and explores the impact of crime and technology on the society of Sydney through a unique twist on detective narratives.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #637 on: October 06, 2018, 09:40:48 pm »
+2
What do you you think of my intro for 2016 paper 2 mod b question?
Explain how The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender invites us into a different world and broadens our understanding of human experience?

Composers are able to evoke a sense of intrigue to the reader through the exploration of distinctive ideas. Marele Day's novel 'The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender'(TLACOHL, 1988) investigates an challenges the social norms of the time by adapting the genre of hard boiled crime to a contemporary setting. She denounces the existing gender roles of the late 80's and explores the impact of crime and technology on the society of Sydney through a unique twist on detective narratives.

Hey!

Composers are able to evoke a sense of intrigue to the reader through the exploration of distinctive ideas Good thesis to the question- although the part 'evoke a sense of intrigue' seems a bit different to the question and seems a bit ambigious. Perhaps replace this with a clear statement that relates to the 'broadens our understanding of human understanding' part of the question. Marele Day's novel 'The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender'(TLACOHL, 1988) Don't have to mention year of novel- assume maker knows what the novel is and when it was written investigates and challenges the social norms of the time by adapting the genre of hard boiled crime to a contemporary setting. She denounces the existing gender roles of the late 80's and explores the impact of crime and technology on the society of Sydney through a unique twist on detective narratives. Good reasoning and explanation of what I presume will be the topic of each your paragraph. I would suggest- to take it up to the next level- how Day challenge gender roles or through what does Day explore the impact of crime and technology. Further explanation on 'unique twist' would help clarify your third argument.

Besides from my comments in bold, I would suggest adding more detail in your paragraphs- such as an elaboration of the novel (not necessarily the plot- but the themes) and as well as clarification how Day exactly brings us to a different world and how she broadens our understanding of human understanding (ie; characterisation of Claudia Valentine, dual narrative, etc.)

Hope this helps! :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

belle12345

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #638 on: October 11, 2018, 10:21:30 am »
+1
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is alright to use a prescribed text from Module B in English Advanced for a discovery related material in Paper 1?
I've heard that markers frown upon it, but surely you cant lose marks over it right?

Also, when we do Paper 1, does the marker know which level of English we do (Standard/ Advanced)?

Thanks.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #639 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:20 am »
+2
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is alright to use a prescribed text from Module B in English Advanced for a discovery related material in Paper 1?
I've heard that markers frown upon it, but surely you cant lose marks over it right?

Also, when we do Paper 1, does the marker know which level of English we do (Standard/ Advanced)?

Thanks.

Hey!

There isn't really a rule that explicitly says that you can't used a prescribed text from Advanced as your ORT in Paper 1. However, it is discouraged to do this as it seems a bit unfair that- there are plenty of sources for the prescribed text yet other students have analysed their own ORT. You can't technically lose marks for it so you can try and do this- but like mentioned previously it is a bit unfair on other student.

In regards to Paper One- marker doesn't know what level that you're doing unless they're marking the essay part of the Paper- as they can just easily tell from your prescribed text. For the short answer and creative sections, they won't have a clue. Just because you do Standard does not mean that you will perform badly and just because you do advanced does not mean you will perform well. It's about how much you can articulate your ideas onto the paper. It's also about the confidence that you write on the page as well- because doing Standard english shouldn't bring you down! I did Standard during my HSC and when I looked past the whole 'standard performs badly compared to advanced' idea (which is a myth by the way), I was more confidence in my exams! So just have that mindset and your work will pay off :)

belle12345

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #640 on: October 11, 2018, 12:55:23 pm »
Thanks for replying :)

Does anyone know someone who did in fact use a prescribed text as a related text in the HSC and still manage to get an okay mark?

kmuscat1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #641 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:40 pm »
I need some tips for creative writing, I often struggle to find ideas and find my writing cliché

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #642 on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:02 pm »
I need some tips for creative writing, I often struggle to find ideas and find my writing cliché

Welcome to the forums! Look no further than this guide!

Shazzdawg

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #643 on: October 13, 2018, 06:37:11 pm »
HELP! I was wondering if I am able to use a non prescribed speech Like "I am Malala" as a related text for one of my prescribed speeches "JFK's Inaugural Address"

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #644 on: October 13, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »
+1
HELP! I was wondering if I am able to use a non prescribed speech Like "I am Malala" as a related text for one of my prescribed speeches "JFK's Inaugural Address"

Hey! Surely if your ORT isn't a prescribed text for the module you can still use it as a related text. But usually it's encouraged that the text of the related text is different to the prescribed one.