Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:49:33 pm

Author Topic: Questions Thread :)  (Read 2599 times)  Share 

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
Questions Thread :)
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:48:43 pm »
Hey folks,
I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread which enables users to answers questions regarding topics they are having trouble with.

So to get the ball moving,

Why are there separate sections in the Go-For-Your-Life webiste for different subgroups including; teenagers, adults, young adults, children and families and other adults?

I came up with this answer, not sure If i'm gonna completely knock the socks of the marker though;

This could occur because the campaign doesn't want to adopt a 'one-size-fits-all' approach, as the levels of physical activity required from each group can vary e.g. Adults and Older adults are expected to engage in 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity, where as children and youth are expected to engage in 60 minutes of MVPA (moderate-vigorous physical activity) each day. Therefore to ensure that the Go-for-your-life campaign is successful, the site has been prepared in a manner so that the ideas for promoting physical activity are relevant to the subgroup

Also another question;

Explain how the state governments could evaluate the Go For your Life or Find Thirty campaigns after a 24 month period using the stage of change model with teenagers.

Thanks Guys :)

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
Re: Questions Thread :)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »
Your answer sounds good, although I'm not in the PE frame of mind for Aos 1 anymore... Tailoring is a good term to use also.

For your other question, something similar came up in a previous exam. The answer is simple. The initial stage of change can be compared to the stage of change after 24 months. Progress is shown if there is an average increase within the stages of change model through the teenage demographic.

Any other questions?

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:16 pm »
Cheers Mate, yeah just one more;
How can mass-media messages be tailored for individuals in different stages of change?

does this have something to do with, that there is a higher success rate for th intervention program if the campaign employs both individual and population-based aspects. When designing the campaign it is important to focus on the level of motvational readiness and stage of change for the group being targeted e.g. If the Victorian government were to develop a compaign on reducing the level of inactivty and increase the level of physical activity participation, then they would focus on cognitive approaches as generally people with low levels of self-efficacy and are inactive will require mind-processes rather than behavioural processes in order to have the right level of self-efficacy to perform the desired program.

Or something along those lines, then I would also bring up the campaign should reflect increasing awareness for the benefits of physical activity, the consequences of inactivty and the consequences inactivity is having on others.

Vadnal

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »
Great idea for a thread, I'll be adding to this as time goes by.
2009: IT Applications
2010: Chemistry | Literature | Methods (CAS) | Physical Education | Health and Human Development
ATAR required: 86, ATAR aim: 90+

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »
That's a great question, and interesting too. I was thinking about this last year, as Nelson says that mass media approaches should be tailored but doesn't give an example of how.

The mass media approach is restrictive because you are targeting a wide population with different cultures/levels of readiness. My thinking is that there are four ways that you could develop a campaign (e.g. TV ads, billboards) that is tailored to a specific group:
- Research the audience. For a TV show such as the biggest loser, TV ads would most likely target people in the contemplation or preparation stage and therefore would use a mixture of cognitive and behavioural strategies. If it was another show, another audience might need to be catered for.
- Broadcast a range of different messages that target different groups. This is tough, but many billboards could be created, each targeting people in different stages of motivational readiness or different cultural groups.
- If the mass media campaign is targeted at a community, it's much easier. The locals ads, billboards, whatever - inform the community on specifics of the campaign that is usually complemented with environmental/policy change.
- Meet the specifics of the campaign - if it's for weight loss, target stages 1+2 and maybe 3

There is no clear answer that I can think of, ask your teacher maybe... It's a pretty ambiguous question.

Your spot on when you say that the campaign and cognitive/behavioural strategies should be tailored to motivational readiness. That's an important concept, and understanding it already is awesome as its very examinable. You're also right in saying that both population and individual aspects should be considered. A comprehensive multi-strategy approach is important.

Good work. Did what I say make sense?

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »
ok cool that makes sense :) I think to be safe before the SAC next monday that I should probably just do a bit of both. Your explanations are great examples I can use, and will answer the 'how' aspect of the question. Thank You :)

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:32 pm »
No worries mate :)

flash36

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
Hey, I've got the second SAC on Tuesday, was just after opinions on whether I should try and remember multiple different programs for each target group and setting, or whether you think the SAC will concentrate on how programs increase PA in these partiulcar groups and settings? Thanks.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:08:26 pm »
It's not really part of the study design to have to know about different programs, however, schools sometimes ignore this. I'm guessing your SAC might give you a case study and then either have you write a report or answer structure questions that will demonstrate applied knowledge. That's just a guess, last year our school's SAC was the latter. If you would like practice SAC, go to http://www.vcephysed.com/files/ and download the Practice SAC - Settings Based Approaches. It doesn't have answers but I can always help you out :)

flash36

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:44:12 am »
Thanks mate, that's awesome :)

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:57:11 pm »
No worries :)

flash36

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 07:58:39 am »
Did the SAC yesterday, wasn't happy with it at all, had a lot of really ambigious and vague questions. Not sure how well I went.

Who else has done the second SAC on population based and individual strategies?

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »
Did the SAC yesterday, wasn't happy with it at all, had a lot of really ambigious and vague questions. Not sure how well I went.

Who else has done the second SAC on population based and individual strategies?

Yeh did mine on monday and go the SAC result back yesterday, was not happy with the performance, got 23/25, not what I'm looking for since i got full marks on the first sac... arghh, disappointing

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »
The SACs are so shit. Vague and ambiguous with a retarded mark distribution between the questions. Im just hoping to keep a decent ranking and kill the exam now. My average is at around 90% after 2 SACs.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:23 pm »
I got the second SAC back today, 22.5/25 (45/50) (A)

I got 23.5/25 (47/50) (A+) for the first one.

How'd everyone else go on these SACs?

So far:
55.5/59 (94%)
65/69 or something (94% though)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE