Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 01:01:55 pm

Author Topic: What are some effective ways to study for Revs?  (Read 2024 times)  Share 

Help.Me.

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What are some effective ways to study for Revs?
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:11 pm »
Particularly memorising key dates, quotes etc...
Thanks!

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
Re: What are some effective ways to study for Revs?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:07:57 pm »
+2
hey, so, full disclosure before you take any of my advice: i'm only doing revs this year and obviously haven't done the exam or anything like that! but i was averaging 97% in units 1&2 so hopefully that's good enough right now, haha.

for dates, i use quizlet: put them all into flashcards and just click 'learn' over and over again until you're getting 100% consistently. the thing about dates is that there's only one right answer, so it kind of has to be perfect :/ i think it gets easier with practice though! i can stick in about ten/fifteen at once and get through them quite quickly, but if you're just starting out you may want to add them one by one: learn the new one, then add another, rinse and repeat.

people also use hard copy flashcards, but tbh i find myself just cheating when i do that, so if you're really disciplined maybe try it? but otherwise, quizlet is a nice alternative because it actually forces you to face your mistakes lmao. also you can do it on your phone on the bus if you're like me and have a super long commute :(

if flashcards aren't your thing (although i'll totally defend quizlet to the death tbh, because it literally just takes practice and you'll get it eventually) some people make timelines, and that actually really helps with learning content as well, because you can see it as a linear progression. just stick it on the bathroom/bedroom wall or somewhere similar to force yourself to keep seeing the content.

for quotes, i tend to find that i naturally gravitate to certain ones, and i'm able to remember them better for some reason. so if there are a couple that seem to come easily to you, identify which those are, then you can either quizlet again or write them up and stick them in your room. i've done both (and for once quizlet is less effective ugh). also i think practice questions really help! you get used to using a quote in its context and then the next time you need to answer a similar question, the quote you used last time might still be in your head.

if all else fails, just write them out a million times until they stick. it hurts like hell and it's more boring than anything else, but it works, lmao. i hope some of that helps? (:
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:51:13 pm »
+2
i really think THE best way to study for revs is to build (in your head) a really strong overall picture of the revolution. get a map out of the country and look at it and think about where things happened, a timeline of events, and try to sort of imagine the revolution on a macro scale. if you can really understand the timeline of events and the geography i feel like you are already 10 steps ahead of people who memorise quotes and dates but often do not use them that well.  once you really really understand the revolution from a top-down level then try to hone in on particular things like quotes and days.  i often found in sacs i would try to write a date for something and be like "wait no, Y couldntve happened in 1776 because X happened in 1776 and Y happened before it. Y was definitely after Z though which was in 1774 so Y must've been 1775, i remember it happened around july or june but it occured directly before this event in July so it must be June"

thats a kind of convoluted example but i hope it helps !

Help.Me.

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 05:20:27 pm »
Thank you!!!