Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:08:59 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 347976 times)  Share 

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #630 on: July 18, 2017, 07:31:03 pm »
Holla,

For the dot point:

Process information from secondary sources to describe and analyse the relatively importance of the work of:
James Watson
Francis Crick
Rosalind Franklin
Maurice Wilkins
in determining the structure of DNA and the impact of the quality of collaboration and communication on their scientific research

What sort of information are we to learn under this dotpoint? Because in my midyears I received a 3 out of 7 for the question in regards to this dotpoint and the marking said that I didn't specify their collaboration well enough...However i did actually mention how the collaboration was bad leading to the success of Rosalind and Wilkins being jeopardised and how good collaboration between Watson and Crick eventually got them the Nobel Peace Prize.

Any suggestions?

Bigsweetpotato Farm

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #631 on: July 18, 2017, 07:35:05 pm »
+1
Holla,

For the dot point:

Process information from secondary sources to describe and analyse the relatively importance of the work of:
James Watson
Francis Crick
Rosalind Franklin
Maurice Wilkins
in determining the structure of DNA and the impact of the quality of collaboration and communication on their scientific research

What sort of information are we to learn under this dotpoint? Because in my midyears I received a 3 out of 7 for the question in regards to this dotpoint and the marking said that I didn't specify their collaboration well enough...However i did actually mention how the collaboration was bad leading to the success of Rosalind and Wilkins being jeopardised and how good collaboration between Watson and Crick eventually got them the Nobel Peace Prize.

Any suggestions?

Bigsweetpotato Farm

The collaboration between Rosalind and Wilkins was ineffective, which meant their work was not efficiently researched and they had a lack of communication. This lack of effective communication led to Wilkins leaking Rosalind's research from x-ray crystallography to Watson and Crick. Because Watson and Crick had great communication, they worked well and communicated well. This meant that even though they were told to stop after they failed numerous times, they continued to persevere and work together to produce the current model of DNA.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

maddiewainwright

• HSC Lecturer
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #632 on: July 18, 2017, 07:43:16 pm »
+3

Holla,

For the dot point:

James Watson
Francis Crick
Rosalind Franklin
Maurice Wilkins

Any suggestions?

Bigsweetpotato Farm

Hi Bigsweetpotato2000,

Just adding to the great points pikachu975 made, another important thing that Watson and Crick did in terms of collaboration was that they built upon other people's ideas. They took information from other scientists (Chargaff's rules of nitrogen pairing, and Franklin's 'photograph 51'), and synthesised them in a creative way, collaborating to come to a solution. This enables more effective scientific practice, and evidently betters the scientific community when people are working together.

Hope this helps!
Studying Bachelor Laws/Advanced Science (Molecular and Cell Biology) UNSW

HSC Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, French Extension, Visual Arts, English Extension 2

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
« Reply #633 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:42 pm »
The collaboration between Rosalind and Wilkins was ineffective, which meant their work was not efficiently researched and they had a lack of communication. This lack of effective communication led to Wilkins leaking Rosalind's research from x-ray crystallography to Watson and Crick. Because Watson and Crick had great communication, they worked well and communicated well. This meant that even though they were told to stop after they failed numerous times, they continued to persevere and work together to produce the current model of DNA.
Hi Bigsweetpotato2000,

Just adding to the great points pikachu975 made, another important thing that Watson and Crick did in terms of collaboration was that they built upon other people's ideas. They took information from other scientists (Chargaff's rules of nitrogen pairing, and Franklin's 'photograph 51'), and synthesised them in a creative way, collaborating to come to a solution. This enables more effective scientific practice, and evidently betters the scientific community when people are working together.

Hope this helps!

Legendss!!! Thanks so much!

olr1999

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Trinity Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #634 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:23 pm »
+1
Hey!
I'm a little unsure about how to answer this question, any help is muchly appreciated!:
'The Black Plague was an infectious disease devastating Europe between the 14th and 19th centuries. The disease was caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis
Yersinia pestis usually infects the intestines, but during the Black Plague it infected the lungs, causing pneumonia-like symptoms and killing millions of people.
Recently published research on the bacteria indicates that a small genetic change in the bacteria as far back as 2500 years ago may have caused it to go from a treatable infection of the intestines to a fatal lung infection.
Using your knowledge of Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection, explain how Yersinia pestis may have changed from being an intestinal infection to become a much more severe lung infection.' 3marks
Thank you!

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
« Reply #635 on: July 18, 2017, 08:50:34 pm »
+1
Hey!
I'm a little unsure about how to answer this question, any help is muchly appreciated!:
'The Black Plague was an infectious disease devastating Europe between the 14th and 19th centuries. The disease was caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis
Yersinia pestis usually infects the intestines, but during the Black Plague it infected the lungs, causing pneumonia-like symptoms and killing millions of people.
Recently published research on the bacteria indicates that a small genetic change in the bacteria as far back as 2500 years ago may have caused it to go from a treatable infection of the intestines to a fatal lung infection.
Using your knowledge of Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection, explain how Yersinia pestis may have changed from being an intestinal infection to become a much more severe lung infection.' 3marks
Thank you!

Oooh I'll give it a try :D

First Up! Define Evolution

Charles Darwin in the 19th century proposed the Theory of Evolution by natural selection as a process in which organisms change over time as a result of new environments, allowing the organism to better adapt to its new habitat.

2nd - Relate the case study to the three aspects of evolution: Variation, Heritability and Over Reproduction.

The Yersinia pestis's evolution from a intestinal infection to a more severe lung infection was potentially due to the variations in the population that survived the treatment 2500 years ago. The certain bacteria with a random genetic difference survived the treatment provided during the contemporary time and continued to survive, slowly reproducing over time to increase the chance of the new species survival. This resulted in the evolution of the Yersinia pestis, which became a more severe lung infection.

Hope that works :D

Bigsweetpotato Farm

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
« Reply #636 on: July 18, 2017, 09:29:07 pm »
What's microflora in humans? - Search for a better health section :D

Bigsweetpotato Farm

maddiewainwright

• HSC Lecturer
  • Adventurer
« Reply #637 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:56 pm »
+1

What's microflora in humans? - Search for a better health section :D

Bigsweetpotato Farm

Hi Bigsweetpotato2000,

Microflora simply refers to all the naturally occurring micro-organisms that cover/are in our bodies. This can be bacteria, fungi, all different types of microorganisms. Microflora is important for human health (there have been recent studies linking healthy gut bacteria and mental health), but can cause disease when the balance of microorganisms is disrupted (for example, thrush, when Candida albicans is allowed to grow in excess).

HSC Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, French Extension, Visual Arts, English Extension 2

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
« Reply #638 on: July 18, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »
Hi Bigsweetpotato2000,

Microflora simply refers to all the naturally occurring micro-organisms that cover/are in our bodies. This can be bacteria, fungi, all different types of microorganisms. Microflora is important for human health (there have been recent studies linking healthy gut bacteria and mental health), but can cause disease when the balance of microorganisms is disrupted (for example, thrush, when Candida albicans is allowed to grow in excess).

Ahhhh... So how does Thrush develop from the imbalance? I think I was to use that as my example but I can't find it in my notes....

Thanks!

Bigsweetpotato Farm

maddiewainwright

• HSC Lecturer
  • Adventurer
« Reply #639 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:25 pm »
+3

Ahhhh... So how does Thrush develop from the imbalance? I think I was to use that as my example but I can't find it in my notes....

Thanks!

Bigsweetpotato Farm

Basically when you take antibiotics, it gets rid not only of bad bacteria but some of the good bacteria as well. Our natural microflora has the right balance of different microorganisms, growing at consistent rates, kind of keeping each others populations in check. So when one of the microorganisms is removed, the other is able to grow more, because of less competition and more resources. For thrush, the fungi Candida albicans will grow in excess (as it is not killed by antibiotics), generating symptoms as it becomes an irritant.

Hope that makes sense

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
« Reply #640 on: July 18, 2017, 10:15:56 pm »
Basically when you take antibiotics, it gets rid not only of bad bacteria but some of the good bacteria as well. Our natural microflora has the right balance of different microorganisms, growing at consistent rates, kind of keeping each others populations in check. So when one of the microorganisms is removed, the other is able to grow more, because of less competition and more resources. For thrush, the fungi Candida albicans will grow in excess (as it is not killed by antibiotics), generating symptoms as it becomes an irritant.

Hope that makes sense

Amazzzzing! Thanks <3

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #641 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:12 pm »
+1

Charles Darwin in the 19th century proposed the Theory of Evolution by natural selection as a process in which organisms change over time as a result of new environments, allowing the organism to better adapt to its new habitat.

2nd - Relate the case study to the three aspects of evolution: Variation, Heritability and Over Reproduction.

The Yersinia pestis's evolution from a intestinal infection to a more severe lung infection was potentially due to the variations in the population that survived the treatment 2500 years ago. The certain bacteria with a random genetic difference survived the treatment provided during the contemporary time and continued to survive, slowly reproducing over time to increase the chance of the new species survival. This resulted in the evolution of the Yersinia pestis, which became a more severe lung infection.

Bigsweetpotato Farm

This is a good start, and I particularly like how you've broken down the question. You might consider the potential survival advantage of transitioning to a respiratory infection for Y.pestis.

The question specifically asks about Darwinian evolution, which actually rests on four principles:

1. Heritability of traits
2. Variation in the population
3. Limited resources therefore struggle for existence 
4. Some better adapted than others
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #642 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »
+1

Bigsweetpotato Farm

This is a good start, and I particularly like how you've broken down the question. You might consider the potential survival advantage of transitioning to a respiratory infection for Y.pestis.

The question specifically asks about Darwinian evolution, which actually rests on four principles:

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
« Reply #643 on: July 18, 2017, 11:46:05 pm »

HAHHA Whooooops
I knew my answer was lacking something - Thanks!
Going to change my notes now

However, isn't over reproduction in the evolution theory? Since reproduction is required in order to increase the chance of the evolved species survival?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:55:58 pm by bigsweetpotato2000 »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #644 on: July 19, 2017, 07:37:50 am »
+1

HAHHA Whooooops
I knew my answer was lacking something - Thanks!
Going to change my notes now

However, isn't over reproduction in the evolution theory? Since reproduction is required in order to increase the chance of the evolved species survival?

Really good question :)

It's captured under the limited resources heading. Resources can be limited by lowering the amount of resources OR by producing too many things trying to use all of those resources. In simpler terms, a big population (over-reproduction) makes the resources limited.